Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Creekman
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/07 21:57:24 (permalink)

French creek smallie float

The wife and I are planning to float French Creek this May for some catch & release smallie fishing. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where we may have the most luck. We're not afraid of skinny water or rapids up to class III. I scouted from Utica to Franklin last fall and it looks decent but I'm betting it's probably better somewhere upstream. We ate lunch at a restaurant called Leonardos when we was in Franklin, that place was great. We went back for supper and it was still great.

~Jim~
fishohiocanoeclub.net
We love Pa.

42 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/07 22:06:32 (permalink)
    loby...andy, can you help my ohio brother?  he is a big time river rat.

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 08:09:05 (permalink)
    kayak99 is your guy for French Creek advice.

Utica to Franklin is one of the best fishing streches on that creek. You can also start at Shaws Landing (which is just before Meadville)and float to Franklin. May might be a little bit of a gamble depending on how our Spring melt off and rains go. I would much rather fish it in June....

Yep, Leos rest. is awsome!
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 10:21:02 (permalink)
    Creekman,
    In my opinion putting in at the bridge in Utica and floating to Franklin will be 5 to 6hrs of pure enjoyment.Maybe longer if you stop and enjoy some of the scenery(eagles,beavers,geese ducks,otters etc.)Many great spots all along the way for great fishing,I have no one hot spot but it is safe to say that you can catch almost any kind of fish that Pa has.I would suggest checking the water level via this board.May water can be finicky but as long as you don't mind the occasional portage I can't recomend a better day trip.And by the way Leonardo's is still cranking out some of the best food in Franklin.When you get ready to go feel free to pm me and I will get you a first hand water report.
    Take care,god bless,and Great fishin to ya,
    AC
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 16:39:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, it usually takes us over an hour per mile when the fish are biting so a 6 mile trip is ideal for an all dayer. It takes us about 6-7 hours to float from Dotters eddy to Emlenton when we fish there and I think that's just short of 5 mile. From what I seen French Creek has a little more push to it than the Allegheny. We were thinking of trying to float to or from Meadville unless we heard otherwise. Utica to Franklin is fine with me if that's a prime area for big smallies. You don't have to worry about us littering your area, we clean some stuff up while were floating. One kitchen bag of trash adds up over time. Here's a picture of a smallie my wife caught on Topwater out of the Allegheny on one of our floats last year. 
    post edited by egg sac - 2009/02/08 21:00:59

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 16:45:14 (permalink)
    Well that picture thing didn't work, does anyone know how I can post a pic ? I don't have much computer savey.

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 20:06:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Creekman

Thanks guys, it usually takes us over an hour per mile when the fish are biting so a 6 mile trip is ideal for an all dayer. It takes us about 6-7 hours to float from Dotters eddy to Emlenton when we fish there and I think that's just short of 5 mile. From what I seen French Creek has a little more push to it than the Allegheny. We were thinking of trying to float to or from Meadville unless we heard otherwise. Utica to Franklin is fine with me if that's a prime area for big smallies. You don't have to worry about us littering your area, we clean some stuff up while were floating. One kitchen bag of trash adds up over time. Here's a picture of a smallie my wife caught on Topwater out of the Allegheny on one of our floats last year.     .

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 20:09:38 (permalink)
    Creekman,
    I also recommend the Utica -Franklin section or if you want a little longer float start in Cochranton.
    As far as the picture change the [IMG] to lower case like this [img]
    Mike
    post edited by fishin coyote - 2009/02/08 20:11:08

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/08 20:42:32 (permalink)
    I have not taken the trip in many many years, but remember if the water is low, the trip from Polly's Dairy west of Franklin to the mouth where it joins the Allegheny can be more of a drag. You may consider taking out there if it is extremely low. 
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/09 18:21:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for everything guys. Is there a take out by the dairy ? I can't wait to get up there and fish and eat some homemade raviolis.

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/09 19:06:19 (permalink)
    There is parking near the bend just downstream from Polly's where people park to fish from the bank. It would be possible to get out there.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/10 10:34:10 (permalink)
    Two years ago I floated from just below Union City Dam to Cambridge Springs.  There is a farmer's field about 1/4 mile below the dam.  I asked his permission and he let me put my canoe in there.  We floated to the bridge at Cambridge Springs.  That is a beautiful section of the river and we had great fishing, too.  We caught several nice pike, including one that snapped off at the side of the canoe, that was the biggest stream pike I have ever seen.  We also caught a ton of smallmouth including one that was 3.5 to 4 pounds.  There was one major log jam along the way, that had to be portaged, but other than that, there were no obstacles. 
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/02/10 10:45:42

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/10 20:24:45 (permalink)
    Thanks ready2fish, sorry I don't get on much these days.

creekman, As said you should check the flows and the weather reports before you actually do the trip.  Sometimes the May flows can be more than you might enjoy, making fishing difficult.  June can be better.  When the level at Utica is near 2 - 2 1/2 feet I have had my best fishing.  Over three feet and the creek is a bit high and fast and it doesn't take much for that creek to rise.

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pbz&gage=utcp1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

As far as the trip, Cochranton, Carlton or Utica to Franklin can be a great day trip.  Leave as early as possible.  Never caught much in the waters from Pollys to the river but once you hit the confluence of the river you'll do well.  If it's not too late, stop there and wade a bit.

A bit of a heads up.  Its fine to leave a vehicle in Cochranton and Utica as well as in Franklin but other out of the way places might cause you to lose a catalytic converter.  Friend of mine lost one parking at Fishermans Cove last year (I was with him on the river).  That's too bad because the Allegheny from Franklin to Fishermans Cove is an excellent canoe/kayak run with great fishing.

Not sure if you plan on two vehicles or if anyone will be running shuttles out of Franklin this year but if they are, that might be your best way to go.

Don't forget, if you don't have a sticker on your boat you shouldn't use the ramp at Franklin (or the put in at Utica although everyone still does).  If you have no sticker just take out at the park on the east side at Franklin just below the bridge, not the ramp on the west side.

There is another possibility, if you have someone shuttle you, you can head up the creek on the west side, north out of Utica towards the boy scout camp.  Not as far as Carlton but there are a couple of places you can put in along that stretch as long as you don't leave a vehicle and it will take you through some nice muskie water.

You mentioned rapids.  Sorry, no rapids on the creek, only riffles!

Hope that helps.  Good luck and if you have more questions, just ask.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/10 21:58:29 (permalink)
    kayak, you don't, by chance, have relatives down in youngstown, ohio, do you? 

toddford
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 11:42:13 (permalink)
    no sticker on boat no problem about 2-3 miles up creek from utica the owl rock with steps put in there get out at twin bridge in sugarcreek or pollys dairy
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 16:39:45 (permalink)
    I thought of a couple things to throw out there,1st-It's Polly's Dairy Ilse not a "dairy",2nd-To put in at this locale you will know by a GIANT flat-rock bottom+Right hand turn and pipeline to traverse in the creek,must make a sharp left after the pipeline to put in maybe a 300yd walk to Pollys back upstream on the highway.(I would HIGHLY recomend lunch here if you like chili-dogs or any other comfort food).3rd-Not to dispute 99 but some of the best fishing I've had in my life(such as it is!! LOL)has been from Pollys to the Allegheny.4th-I agree wholeheartedly with not leaving your vehicle out in God's country it might not be "solid"when you return,sad to say.As I stated before pm me before you depart and I'll go give you a first hand report.
    AC
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 18:00:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rapala11

kayak, you don't, by chance, have relatives down in youngstown, ohio, do you? 

No, but I have a cousin who's address is Brookfield, I think.  I never send mail to her so I am not certain of the address.

ORIGINAL: toddford

no sticker on boat no problem about 2-3 miles up creek from utica the owl rock with steps put in there get out at twin bridge in sugarcreek or pollys dairy

Owl Rock with the steps is the place I meant, headed towards the scout ranch. Never knew it had a name. Problem with those places would be shuttles as he shouldn't leave a vehicle near Owl Rock and I'm not sure how he'd get there from Sugarcreek or Pollys.  The other problem is that it's quite a walk form the creek to Polly's through the woods or up 322.  Unless he took out by 322 he'd have to leave someone there to watch his boat & gear.

Great hot dogs and ice cream there!

Anyone know if someone will be shuttling out of Franklin this year?

ORIGINAL: acmaul13  3rd-Not to dispute 99 but some of the best fishing I've had in my life(such as it is!! LOL)has been from Pollys to the Allegheny.

Is that a pipe that crosses the creek below Polly's?  I thought it was an old dam bulkhead or something like it.  One has to be careful about going over it at certain times.  Locals sit on the west side watching canoers navigate it.  I guess some people get wet!

The creek does have its spots, its holes and its dead zones. Usually when I go around that bend and through the rocks I am paddling instead of fishing.  Gets better, for me at least, by those plants and nearer to the river. Hope this year is a good one!

acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 19:07:34 (permalink)
    Hey 99,
    Is it a pipeline?In all honesty I don't know I just know what we've called for years,could very well be part of the old Erie canal system.Especially since you can see some of the old locks just west of it.Dam been here on the water 30yrs and never considered that aspect or possibility,and ohh yeah us locals love watchin newbees come over the hump in low water.
    Believe it or not some of the best fishin is around the old steel mill and before the bridge,imop.
    ac
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 19:40:17 (permalink)
    The main danger I have run into in certain sections of French Creek are in the outside and inside edges of big S curves, the river accumulates lots of big trees that create dangerous strainers.  I canoed in February one time and it was pretty hairy in some spots.  This was up above Union City dam, though, where the river is small and windy...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 19:49:07 (permalink)
    acmaul, I've gone over it several times and it doesn't seem like a pipe to me.  When the water is low it can be quite a drop.  I've seen Amish actually stop on the bank, get out and walk their canoe over it rather than go over it.  It seemed more like a bar/bulkhead but I never stopped to look at it.  Next time I get down that far (my camp is a mile below Utica) I'll have to linger around the old mill.

More often than not I float from Utica, or above, back to my camp.  Not a long drift but I'm usually by myself in my pontoon float boat and there are some nice riffles, pools and a couple of deep holes along that stretch.  When I have friends over we take the canoes & kayaks on the longer stretches, often from my place to Franklin.

ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

The main danger I have run into in certain sections of French Creek are in the outside and inside edges of big S curves, the river accumulates lots of big trees that create dangerous strainers.  I canoed in February one time and it was pretty hairy in some spots.  This was up above Union City dam, though, where the river is small and windy.

A few years back a girl died in a strainer in Franklin.  Church group, not sure why they were even on the water but, if I recall, Country Peddlers had rented them boats and took them upstream.  I heard the death caused their closure.  I floated down that way a few days later and a guy was in the water with a chain saw cutting the tree up.

I'd never boat that creek in the winter or in high water.  Each year a few trees fall but strainers that risk people don't often happen in the portions of the creek I fish and when they do, many of us try to cut them up as soon as we can. 

They can surprise unwary boaters though.  Good reason to stay off the creek in fast flows.
    post edited by kayak99 - 2009/02/11 19:58:56
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 20:00:14 (permalink)
    oops, double post - wish we could delete these
    post edited by kayak99 - 2009/02/11 20:02:09
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 20:54:51 (permalink)
    99, when I was a teenager in the 60's, we had a camp a mile below Utica.  The camp grounds in now overgrown, but a great place to fish. I also grew up just above the boat launch on the Allegheny in Franklin.  I had the best of both worlds.  All week on the Allegheny and the weekends on French Creek.  To top it off, my girlfriend lived just below the bridge in Utica. 

I believe there were actually 2 girls who drowned in that accident.  There was also another fisherman who drowned (I believe last fall) behind the steel mill.  Would it be easier to get out at the bridge area in Sugarcreek prior to getting to Polly's?  Just asking, like to make the trip the most enjoyable.  Water level is very important.   
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 21:23:57 (permalink)
    I have fished French Creek since I was ~12 years old, however I have never floated it. The pulloff on the Franklin side of Polly's is property that has been in my wifes family for many years. We do have a lawyer that has bought in. You guys familiar with know the spot, its within sight of Polly', across 322 against the hillside. I live few miles up the road on 322. If you need a safe place to park let me know.
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 22:14:19 (permalink)
    i'll impart the"knowledge" that i was givin as a child,after each winter you can NEVER tell where the holes may have shifted to.French Crick will make you pay if it is not shown respect.Not to disparage the dead but it was not a "fisherman"that drowned behind the mill,sometimes people go swimming in areas they should'nt.(I brought home a trash bag of bottles and left the YANKEES ball-cap)
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 23:24:40 (permalink)
    Steeler Fan, if it were me I'd put in above Utica someplace like that Owl Rock first thing in the morning and go all the way to Franklin.  Depends on your transportation.  I'd be flexible and watch the weather and the chart in my earlier post.  You might be right about two girls.  I remember the incident and the tree but not the number.  If your camp was a mile down from Utica and is over grown (on the west side of the creek) I think it's just above mine a short distance.  My place, going south on French Creek Road, is the cottage just as the pavement returns, creekside.  Big deck overlooking the creek.

treesparrow, if you own property there do you know what crosses under the water just above the bend before the creek hits 322?  Pipeline, dam bulkhead?  Does your land hit the water?

acmaul13, good point.  Some holes remain year to year, some change.  Summertime you can wade 90% of the creek but when the flow is up it can be dangerous.  We don't get much litter up our way though.
    PHOTOJIM
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/11 23:48:19 (permalink)
    Creekman

If you are looking for another canoe

to travel with me and the lady are always looking for a fun trip.

photojim
    toddford
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/12 12:53:18 (permalink)
    there was 2 young teenage girl from townville area that drowned and never should have been on creek the way it was flooded and it wasnt country pendler it was allegheny canoe rental owned by hawkins and it did shut them down from what i understand never discussed  it much with them didnt want to bring up memories and it was a young black kid that drowned behind steel mill didnt know how to swim and pollys dairy isle!really isnt good to get out unless you know creek well twin bridge in sugarcreek isnt bad and easy to find also i believe country pendler still shuttles.i know private places to put in and take out so pm me and maybe we can work something out i am always up for canoeing the creek
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/12 18:27:00 (permalink)
    toddford, thanks for clearing that up.  I had thought it was country peddlers that closed because of the accident.  
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/12 21:39:29 (permalink)
    99,  I dont know whats in the creek right there. It very well could have to do with the canal. The property used to go down to water line however I never looked into railroad agreement. I have two other properties with former railroad now bike trails on them. Both of those have different agreements. They are kind of a mess!
    Creekman
    Novice Angler
    RE: French creek smallie float 2009/02/13 07:08:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PHOTOJIM

Creekman

If you are looking for another canoe

to travel with me and the lady are always looking for a fun trip.

photojim

Yep, everybody is always welcome to float with us. We always invite everybody and sometimes somebody acually shows up.
    It would be great to meet some new friends in Pa, every time we go to the Allegheny River area we meet great folks.

~Jim~
    fishohiocanoeclub.net
    We love Pa.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: