Author
euphoboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/05 09:42:55 (permalink)

Waders

Hi all,

I've always used neoprene waders when fishing the Erie tribs. Recently I bought a pair of Simms Rivershed waders for fishing some local waters where I live in Georgia. My question is how insulated these type of waders are. If I were to use these say in November or December on the Erie tribs, would I freeze my *#&! off? I would be layering under armour and fleece wading pants underneath as well. Thanks guys.

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!

16 Replies Related Threads

350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Waders 2009/02/05 10:15:51 (permalink)
    Proper layers underneath is the key.  I wear breathables year round, just change up the layers to match the weather.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Waders 2009/02/05 18:43:44 (permalink)
    350Z. I hear ya. Your right on with your comment. Neoprene is propably the worst thing man ever invented. For a while we were all walking around like oscar myer hot dogs. Warm hell no. You just aint going to be warm with 2 gallons of sweat trapped inside the wader. I am a pretty big guy and just trying to get them on burned 2000 calories and a massive sweat. Remember when they burned the disco records at a ball game. LETS DO THE SAME WITH NEOPRENE...lol..

Thank God for breathables. Much warmer. Like you said with proper layering. There isnt any reason to ever be cold.

Did I mention I hate neoprene.

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Waders 2009/02/05 20:05:42 (permalink)
    You'll laugh, but easiest way to get neoprene's on or off is to wear panty-hose or something similar. I use support hose I had for varicose veins! They'll slide right off - you'll be amazed!

My 5mm's are usually too warm, except for current weather! Weather in the 40's - 50's prefer the 3.5mm's!
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 07:48:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: strandman220

350Z. I hear ya. Your right on with your comment. Neoprene is propably the worst thing man ever invented. For a while we were all walking around like oscar myer hot dogs. Warm hell no. You just aint going to be warm with 2 gallons of sweat trapped inside the wader. I am a pretty big guy and just trying to get them on burned 2000 calories and a massive sweat. Remember when they burned the disco records at a ball game. LETS DO THE SAME WITH NEOPRENE...lol..

Thank God for breathables. Much warmer. Like you said with proper layering. There isnt any reason to ever be cold.

Did I mention I hate neoprene.

So...do you like neoprene?

I have a set in the basement that I bought and used when I first started wading streams.  Thought I woud keep them just in case.  I haven't even looked at them in years.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 08:22:45 (permalink)
    How do you guys feel about the waist-high breathables?  That's what I'm looking at getting for 3-season trout fishing and a bit of winter steelheading if they'll handle it.  Last year I fished March to December on 2 pairs of rubber hip boots.  They work, but I'm ready for an upgrade.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 08:35:45 (permalink)
    I have a pair of waist highs I use for around here and like em. But on the tribs I wear chest waders as sometimes you want to cross where its a lil deeper and in the cold water I prefer to not take the chance and like the flexibility to go wherever I want. Do you need them no, water I am usually standing in to fish is usually below my knees but I stay warm with layers so it works for me.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 08:38:08 (permalink)
    personally...
    i wouldn't mess with waist high/wading pants... get chest high
    the idea of waist high has always confused me...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 08:42:28 (permalink)
    I used to use waist high breathables.  Now I just use chest high breathables, and roll them down.  The suspenders double as a belt to hold them in place, and it's very comfortable.  Probably 70% of the time I wear them like this, the rest as chest waders.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 09:09:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

personally...
    i wouldn't mess with waist high/wading pants... get chest high
    the idea of waist high has always confused me...

Other than the confusion issues, what specifically makes you dislike them?
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 09:19:02 (permalink)
    i just don't the technical function... and see more draw backs than benifits... but its all personal

you never have the option of wading above mid thigh... if you are being safe
    the uncomfortable tuck... can have a shirt hanging in the water
    not as warm for winter/fall
    as D said... if i really need to, i'll roll down the chest high... 
    FYI the clips are usually opposite, so you can give one the opposite way and clip

I really don't like wearing waders... so if possible i wet wade
    or if fishing tiny and tight... jeans and boot in the fall... sandel and shorts in the summer
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 10:56:40 (permalink)
    Cold,
        I had a pair for small water stuff, but for anything over 12-14 feet wide I still like the chest highs.  Sometimes you have to wade in pretty deep, even on a small stream and I like having that option.  Also if you slip and fall, and you have fished with me enough to know that happens to me often, the extra height keeps you from getting wet from splashing.  If you think they're uncomfortable just get a slightly larger pair.  Heck I'll loan you a pair of mine sometime.  For you they'll double as a tent>  LOL!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 12:28:07 (permalink)
    Waist highs in theory seem fine to me, very rarely do I ever wade water deeper than my waist.  I don't have a set and have becone very accustomed to using the inner chest pocket for cell phone, camera and other things to stay dry. 

strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Waders 2009/02/06 23:30:55 (permalink)
    Waist highs are the way to go. I had a good pair of  chest highs for five years. I couldnt wait for them to were out. In those 5 years I cant recall not tucking them under. You pay good money only to tuck all that material back down in to the boot. Now you have 2 layers that moister must run through. Also the added weight. Not worth it.

I think a lot of fisherman over estimate the water being fished. A 3 ft run is very deep. Anything above that you are going to soak your vest.

Also,,,,,, well I cant cross a stream in chest highs. B.S.. find a better place to cross.

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Waders 2009/02/07 07:01:06 (permalink)
    I agree with 350 z (by the way - nice car!) in sayiing that waist high's seem like a good idea. I too rarely wade higher than my waist so they may be a good buy. I've always had chest highs. As far as the breathables letting the cold in - as long as you layer well underneath them there shouldn't be any problem. Important thing is proper socks to wear. I found that using a good foot powder to prevent sweating - a lightweight sock underneath a pair of merino wool socks solve the problem. Powder seems to really help for me though.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Waders 2009/02/07 12:17:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 350Z&Steelheads

Proper layers underneath is the key.  I wear breathables year round, just change up the layers to match the weather.

I agree! 
     I use both chest high (Cabelas) and waist high (Scierra) waders.  The Scierra waist highs have two zippered pockets and a zip fly.  They cost $199.  For about half that price  I would buy the Cabelas waist highs if I had it to do over.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Waders 2009/02/07 23:37:01 (permalink)
    I've used waist highs for 5 years now, never gone in above them. People
    who go in higher than their waist must be way stronger than me. How
    can you stay on your feet in flowing water that is above your waist?
    Is there a trick to it? I don't feel safe in water at my mid thigh.
    Jump to: