Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Colburn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/04 13:49:49 (permalink)

shooting coyotes

Why do people shoot coyotes?  Do people eat them or just think that it fun to shoot them? 

34 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/04 13:58:21 (permalink)
    fur and population control.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/04 14:36:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Colburn

Why do people shoot coyotes?  Do people eat them or just think that it fun to shoot them? 
    You don't hunt do you?
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/04 18:51:08 (permalink)
    at the end of the world. wont be nothing left but cockroaches and coyotes
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/04 19:17:47 (permalink)
    It's pay back time..He's been trying to eat the roadrunner for to long now...

I'm sure glad the coyote hunters have been pounding them around here..There were getting to be too many..Small game and Turkey populations were taking a beating from them...Big family of yotes will eat alot of critters....
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/02/04 19:20:19

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/04 20:35:11 (permalink)
    I have shot three of them and they were all mangy. They all had scabs and open sores. One my brother shot was so infested it couldn't run. I kind of figured we did then all a favor. I have heard of some in my area that were healthy but "" ALL"" that I have had anything to do with exterminating were infested.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 06:24:24 (permalink)
    They're a mean predator and decimate game populations where they range!

That guy A. Zimmern on Bizzare Foods may eat them, but I've never been that hungry! Probably tough, stringy & musty or gamey!
    Colburn
    New Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 08:18:36 (permalink)
    You don't hunt do you?
    -rollcaster

I don't hunt because I am too cheap to buy a gun.  Fishing is expensive enough for me.  Also, I can remove the hook and let the fish go if I decide I wouldn't what em', I don't think that I would be performing any surgery to remove bullets.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 08:28:04 (permalink)
    Coyotes are the devil.  They kill our small game, our medium game, and our big games.  They also kill our pets, the cats and dogs.  The only thing i would eat of a coyote would be its soul.  I say shoot them in the guts, and make them feel the pain my last beagle felt when she was torn to shreds by them.  She was a little sweet heart, and did not deserve to die like that.  I hate them all.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 09:07:05 (permalink)
    i called 1 in sat. by luzerne but it got to far down wind and couldnt get a shot. tippecanoe. is that where your from? do you have some coyotes running down there. sorry bout the beagle. i will come down there and hunt them for you
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 13:56:30 (permalink)

Colburn, I like fishing better anyway, but you should buy a gun to carry incase you see any worthless coyotes.

Colburn
    New Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 14:09:22 (permalink)
    I like coyotes.  I don't care if people shoot them but I do think there are other management techniques.  It is funny to think that people believe that the only management to control the population of any species is to have man shoot them.  These animals were here before us and they managed themselves.  There is some sort of illogically thinking here, but I am not a good enough biologist to answer that question.  I am sorry about your dog tippecanoe, but I do believe that you should never allow any living thing to suffer, that isn't respectful to life itself.   

Rollcaster, if you buy me a gun I will shoot a coyote. I never knew that people hated these so much.  I just people had fun killing.
    post edited by Colburn - 2009/02/05 14:10:43
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 16:56:08 (permalink)
    shoot em or trap em. but  after you trap em you go to shoot em.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/05 17:29:06 (permalink)

Colburn, I agree you should not just kill to kill but coyotes truely are a nuissance. They kill anything they can catch. They were not alwayse this much of a problem in this area as they are now. The only way to control them is shoot them so kill as many as you can.

Colburn
    New Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/06 09:53:23 (permalink)
    It just seems to me that their is an ecological management.  Something in the surrounding environmental has changed to lead to this so-called growth in population of coyotes. Perhaps that isn't the population that has grown, the human population may being growing into their old territory making it seem the coyote population has grown.  Who knows if this is the case, mostly likely these two factors are leading to the overall problem of the coyote population becoming a nuisance.  Some sort of environmental/ecological change and the increase human population has limited territory of all sorts of species, unless it economical gain for the state or nation, people don't care.  I can't accept killing anything just for fun, that is a little demented. 
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/06 10:41:24 (permalink)
    aticadog,
    i live in fairmont, wv, now, but im from greene co/washington co line.  Ive only hunted them a few times with a call at night.  We called in one, but it got away unscratched, just a bit wiser.  If I ever get any free time, I would liek to learn how to trap them.  Id really like to make a hat from one.
    troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/06 14:24:28 (permalink)
    who let the guy from peta on the board? who cares kill them all

The wizard
    doski
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 07:46:26 (permalink)
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 07:52:41 (permalink)

That looks like a big dog and a healthy one. How big?

doski
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 08:10:06 (permalink)
    Sorry, wish I could say I got this one, but two guys that trap and hunt behind my house got him, so I don’t have any stats.  They stopped and knocked on my door to see if I wanted to check it out.  Thought that was great they took the time to do that.
    No one has any cats around here anymore,,,,,hmm wonder why?
    post edited by doski - 2009/02/07 12:03:32
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 08:22:17 (permalink)
    If mange is helping to controll the coyote population in my area it isn't a fitting end to any creature. I would much rather die from a bullet. You ought to see a coyote covered with mange. No hair and scabes all over. I don't even touch them. Like I said earlier I have killed three and been in on the killing of a few more, and they all had mange.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 11:13:41 (permalink)
    I live in SE Penna.and Coyotes are a relativily new thing around here.There were none 20-30 yrs ago but then there were sightings starting north of here and then spreading south into our area,now unfortunatly they are common here.Several have been shot recently after attacking dogs that were being walked by their owners during the day,they tested positive for rabies.I enjoy walking my Boxer in the woods and fields around my house but these attacks make me think about carring a gun on my walks.I'm all for killing all of them as they are not a native predator to my area,they even kill the Fox.
    post edited by pafisher - 2009/02/07 14:38:04
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/07 13:43:31 (permalink)
    yhey are getting pretty populated and bold where i live. i know a lady that had 1 coming on her back porch eating her cat food a couple winters ago. only after her cat disappeared and was not around to eat the food no more. she dont know where it went. i also know of a lady that had a big rottwieler come home with it guts hanging out and nearly ripped to pieces. thats what a pack will do. i have seen 5 in the last 2 years just driving out the road. i trapped 1 and got a pi of 1 2 weeks ago on a game cam. i will try to post pics but not sure how
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 00:43:40 (permalink)
    I know I got at least a few dozen behind my place this year. I need to thin them out before the fawns are born. To the starting question of this post: Population control, not only to decrease the coyote population, but to increase the preys of the coyotes population. It takes a lot of kills to feed a coyote per year, which is a lot more than a deer, pheasant, grouse, etc can reproduce. Coyotes reproduce and populate quickly. If they dont get thinned out, they run out of food and become a problem in the human world (attacking children, livestock, and pets) Although a lot of people kill them just to kill them, it is for the good of the coyotes and other species. I had a very large pack stalk me and a buddy at the mouth of sandycreek on the allegheny while nightfishing. I wasnt to shook up at firsts when I heard them yipping and running up the road 40yrds away, but when they started circling us about 15mins later I decided to make a quick jump in the car. They are gettin real bad down by the river.  
    Colburn
    New Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 08:13:10 (permalink)
    In no way am I a part of peta.  I like to make an opposing view point so I can really get the true answers from people, and not just "coyotes are the devil."  That really doesn't tell me anything.  I asked a question, got BS answers at first, so I had to stir the pot a little.  so troutwizard54, in no way am I a fan of peta, don't be so quick to assume one of an extreme just because there are opposing questions.  There isn't any "side" that I am supporting, or whatever, I just wanted to questions to get real answers.  I was really curious to see if anyone knew of alternative solutions to controlling a "growing" coyote population other then shooting them.  But as it's been seen, so far, on this thread, the general consensus is the way to do it is to shoot it......  Sometimes there is more than one way to solve a problem.  In this case, limiting yourself to one solution that really doesn't seem to be controlling the population, such as people being followed coyotes, house animals being mane, and the coyotes themselves surviving to the point where their population is being negatively affected with sarvation and diease.  Some people on here seem like they are afraid of these animals, a "Attack of the Coyotes," kind of feeling.  People have to establish to root of the problem, understand what initially caused this problem, and not just automatically write it off as problem that can be solved by a gun.  There is some sort of imbalance of population that is occurring and it's funny when a person for alternate answers, they are accused of being affiliated with the extremist group peta, or just a general wussy. 
    post edited by Colburn - 2009/02/09 08:44:10
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 09:05:11 (permalink)

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 09:09:23 (permalink)
    colburn=PETA

Just kidding, your post sure were leading me to believe that, it is your right to voice your opinion. I like to whack em and stack em just hadn't figured out how yet. Those dogs are smarter than me right now.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 09:11:13 (permalink)
    Eastern coyote can be found in every Pennsylvania county
    The eastern coyote (Canis latrans) is found throughout northeastern United States and southeastern Canada.
    In Pennsylvania, it can be found in every county in the state -- in heavy forests, in dairy and cropland areas and even around the larger cities of Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Erie, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Coyotes prefer heavy brushy cover, such as clearcuts, and often live along edges between forest and agricultural areas where prey is abundant.
    How long have they been here?
    Pictures from the 1930s that appeared in PGC's Game News magazine look like the same coyotes being killed today, the agency reported. The first coyote identified as an animal similar to what we find today was killed in Tioga County in 1940.
    In the late 1960s, an influx of coyotes appears to have entered northern Pennsylvania from the Catskill Mountains in New York. In the 1970s, the highest population was in the Pocono Mountains. By the 1990s, they were found throughout the entire state, with the highest populations across the northern half of the state. The total population in 1995 was probably between 15,000 to 20,000, according to the agency.
    Where did they come from?
    DNA analysis suggests the eastern coyote may have come from interbreeding between coyotes and gray wolves. It is intermediate in size and shape between gray wolves and western coyotes.
    What do they look like?
    The eastern coyote is the largest canine found in Pennsylvania. Adult males in Pennsylvania weigh 45 to 55 pounds; the heaviest known male weighed 62 pounds. Females are smaller -- 35 to 40 pounds. Colors range from light blond, reddish blond and gray to dark brown tinged in black and totally black.

New York coyote found in Pennsylvania
    Staff report

MONROE COUNTY -- The radio collar of a wild eastern coyote trapped this month in Monroe County tells a story the animal cannot -- it had traveled 150 miles from the site it was captured, tagged and released before being caught in a cable restraint set near East Stroudsburg.
    The coyote, tagged in April near Oneonta, N.Y., was identified as part of a research project by the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
    "These types of long-distance movements demonstrate how eastern coyotes were able to rapidly colonize throughout Pennsylvania during past decades," said Dr. Matthew Lovallo, Pennsylvania Game Commission game mammal section supervisor. "In the early 1990s, our own movement studies documented similar movement among yearling coyotes that were captured, radio-collared and tagged in northern tier counties of Pennsylvania. In fact, PGC biologists tracked coyotes in rural, forested parts of the state moving 35 to 100 miles from their initial capture site."

PGC TAKES ANOTHER STEP TO CONTROL COYOTE POPULATIONS

State game officials have taken another step to control coyote populations by making the wily predators legal game under the Mentored Youth Hunting Program (MYHP), effective immediately.
    There's basically an open season on coyotes, including night-hunting with artificial lighting, but the species continues to expand its populations throughout the state.
    The Game Commission hopes that adding coyotes to the MYHP will increase the kill.
    Coyotes have been in Pennsylvania for decades. Eastern coyotes populations have been steadily growing for the past 30 years, despite hunters and trappers killing more than 25,000 a year.
    This secretive canine prefers to operate under the cover of darkness. Their fondness for remote areas and scant numbers pretty much kept them out of the public's eye for decades. That changed in the 1980s, when their population began to expand in leaps and bounds.
    Eastern coyotes don't pack like wolves, but do run in family units and pairs.
    Coyotes usually steer clear of people. They'll leave an area at the first sign of human intrusion. But under the cover of darkness, as human activities slow almost to a halt, coyotes sneak into areas they normally avoid during daylight hours.
    Coyotes will kill deer. A fawn study conducted in the Quehanna Wild Area and in Penns Valley, near State College, concluded that predators accounted for almost half of all fawn mortalities. Bears and coyotes were nearly equal in the number of fawns they killed, accounting for two-thirds of all predator mortalities.
    "We have not seen evidence that coyotes are killing a significant number of healthy adult deer in Pennsylvania," the Game Commission reported. "Being opportunists, they tend to spend more time patrolling the shoulders of state highways to consume deer killed in collisions with vehicles than stalking mature whitetails."
    Coyotes are opportunists. They spend considerable time mousing, but will settle in a second for a rotting road-killed deer, or a cat, or small dog that strays too far from the house. Sheep, chickens and ducks are especially vulnerable.
    Coyotes are very elusive, so allowing mentored hunters to shoot them is not expected to have an appreciable impact on their populations...
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/02/09 09:20:10

Colburn
    New Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 10:23:47 (permalink)
    "or small dog that strays too far from the house."

Don't get small dogs....There's a solution to that.  Small dogs are just annoying
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: shooting coyotes 2009/02/09 11:02:13 (permalink)
    Colburn,

I know I came off as an A-hole, but I really do hate them.  I mean, I don't support anyone wounding anything and letting it suffer, I was just being a smart**** and I know they are just trying to survive by killing peoples beloved pets.  As far as you original question goes, you got a straight answer right away, but when you ask if someone eats dog meat, expect smart****answers in reply.  So what is you answer to the coyote over population? 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: