quick question

Author
ILikePike
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/27 22:04:25 (permalink)

quick question

i have a couple suckers left over from the other day fishin' that i put in my fish tank,
but i don't know what to feed them. anybody have any ideas??
the minnows love the tropical fish flakes but the suckers don't seem interested.
any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: quick question 2009/01/27 22:14:37 (permalink)
    Most fish stores carry a sinking pellet type food - its an algae wafer ... the suckers will love them ...
    I think its called Pleco waffers . Also try a piece of cucumber, small trout worms work too.
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2009/01/27 22:33:18
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: quick question 2009/01/27 22:28:17 (permalink)
    I found a couple of things...
        They are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material along the bottom of streams and lakes.

This is from an article about a different species of sucker that they were trying to raise in a hatchery but might explain why they won't eat......
         Fresh, frozen, dried foods -nothing worked. But finally, last year they found the secret to getting the fish to eat. The water at the hatchery was too alkaline. A small change in pH, from about 8.8 down to 8.5 made a big difference. "They went on to feed immediately,"

Hope it helps....cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: quick question 2009/01/27 23:45:51 (permalink)
    Dude... 

I keep minnows in the coldest room in my house (probably in the 40's in the front room) and they live for WEEKS with no need for food.  I bet suckers will just want to suck the side of the tank and the gravel on the bottom.

I bet they will friggin' LOVE it in there.  They probably don't need food at all, especially if you're going to use them while the reciept is still valid, etc.  I know it sounds crazy, but it's probably the best bet.

Food leads to turds, which leads to less oxygen which leads to dead bait.  Give it a shot, you'll be amazed.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: quick question 2009/01/28 08:04:09 (permalink)
    thanks for the help guys. i don't have my heater hooked up in the tank so they won't go into shock when i bring them back into the cold. they seem very happy in my tank (except for when my cat jumps on top of it) so hopefully they will be fine if they don't eat. i'll try the pleco wafers too.
     my receipt is valid thru sunday and the weather is looking good (35 degrees).
    either hitting lake lonely or burden.
    Jump to: