Gained some access

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/05 08:33:50 (permalink)

Gained some access

Been working on gaining permission for this private parcel in Washington County for 8 years.  120 acres that is surrounded by relatively heavily hunted private ground.

I have always noted many deer feeding unmolested in some of the hayfields with many nice bucks in there too. 

Persistance paid off this weekend as I was granted permission after a chat over lunch.  Turns out that only one other person has permission and they are a rifle only hunter. 

Couldn't be happier and look forward to some March scouting for next year. 

My rifle is a black rifle

15 Replies Related Threads

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 08:49:21 (permalink)
    good luck dude, what township
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 10:32:36 (permalink)
    ..and it can be lost just as quick.   I suspect you'll respect the owner.  Hope he's a good guy.  Good luck and be safe.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 11:05:09 (permalink)
    2b?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 12:01:44 (permalink)
    2A Goby.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 12:03:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

..and it can be lost just as quick.   I suspect you'll respect the owner.  Hope he's a good guy.  Good luck and be safe.

Yep, seemed like a nice guy that wants to know who is on there and when they are hunting.  Was pretty adamant about me not bringing other buddies.

If the access changes it will not be because of me, I can guarantee that.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 12:16:22 (permalink)
    dpms...

It must have been one of those week-ends.....

I got permission to hunt some posted ground about a mile and a half away too.... I was talking deer hunting and the PGC deer management  program with a customer who asked how my deer season was and how was I feeling after my heart surgery last year ,that the owners of the store had told him about.. I did not know who he was......

turns out he is the owner of the land and lives in Erie and has locals who post and patrol the land....

long story short....

" why heck yes... YOU can hunt there anytime,,,, just tell them xxxxxx said it was okay...."

He too made sure I knew he was giving permission to just one person... ME  not and buddies..

this rifle season they shot 8 legal bucks, one mentored buck and 10 does.... within that square mile of land..

last Sunday a guy ran over a doe and I saw 2 legal bucks there last Monday afternoon ( 8 pointers)....

am I excitied or what....??????????????

This time next year we'll see who's asking...

Hey Doc when was the last time you shot an AR legal buck
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/05 12:18:32
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 12:47:27 (permalink)
    Why would you be excited Doc--just a couple days ago you said that you didn't believe that there were more deer on posted property (Travis being the lone exception) than anywhere else. Is this what Bingsbaits means by changing your tune every day?

quote:

You yourself have said there are more deer on private property(ex-Travis property) and generally that is true.

That is an OUT AND OUT LIE !!!!!!

all I ever said was there were TONS of deer on Travis property..... no one hunts there for over 30 years..... there has to be tons...

I never made any general such statement such as ---there are more deer on private property.... I DO NOT BELIEVe that for one minute....just another example of you changing my words and taking them out of context
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 12:54:34 (permalink)
    Dpms you need to get yourself a camera to monitor the herd there...Sure helps come next fall...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 13:00:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Dpms you need to get yourself a camera to monitor the herd there...Sure helps come next fall...

I have a few.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 13:21:54 (permalink)
    S-10.. again with not reading my entire posts and taking somethings out of context.. the whiners here are starting to effect your honesty..

Why am I excited...

The property is basically an area of about 1 sqaure mile counting three other smaller properties that  I have had permission to hunt but never took advantage of. .. the families hunted it that own it and I felt I would be interferring....

The ground does not have big hollows or "mountains".. it would be easy traveling no matter where I would step up... and being private I could drive closer to a harvested deer across about 1/2 of the area that is made up of pasture type field and corn fields...

Nope not contradicting myself at all... 

I do not know if there are more deer there than in the 2 sqaure miles behind my house.. I just know it will be alot easier for me to hunt at 64 !!!!!!

and I see more there because of the fileds and roads that end up surrounding the square mile.. and I travel past much of this property EVERYDAY !!!!

I have no real idea how many deer are behind my house down in the hollow and across the creek.... there are only two roads that run parrell to this sgl and only about two "fields" that you could see deer in... to get a better count I would have to walk the area because I could not drive it... and remember it's SGL anyone can hunt it.. so I have no idea other than friends/neighbors who shot what back there.....

this new ground is private so the owners have a REALLY REALLY good idea what is harvetsed and what remains..........

Gheez you sure have jumped on the bash Dr Trout bandwagon here....... I hope they are paying you !!! 
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/05 13:29:28
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 13:34:54 (permalink)
    Nope- no bashing, just pointing out what in my mind are obvious contradictions in some of your recent posts. You left yourself wide open on the tomahawk post after the dog catcher one and the hunting private ground after claiming the deer numbers are the same either place.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 13:51:58 (permalink)
    What can I say..

I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE MORE DEER ON POSTED OR PRIVATE GROUND

there -----  does that state my opinion once and for all ......

deer are found where three things are---and private or public has nothing to do with that DIRECTLY...

#1.. good food

#2.. security - hunting pressure can effect this - if it is not really good security, but good security also leads to less sightings and the belief there are no deer there..

#3.. water

So no I do not believe posted or private land aotomatically has more of any of those 3 things... especially deer....

Ground that no one hunts may have more deer than areas that get hunted especially if it has those three things... Travis property has that BUT... in driving by it you can see the browse line is really getting bigger and the deer seemed to be in one place more than others each year (food gettin scarce)and from viewing it from one property that I have permission to hunt the understory ( think browse... i.e. FOOD)  is really getting hammered  many of those deer will be ( if not already) moving to better feeding grounds..

Deer will be whereever they can get those 3 things...  food still and ALWAYS being #1......

The trouble with much posted ground is if enough deer do not get shot the food supply is going to get less and less each year and the deer will move to someone elses' propertry...

again just plain good old deer biology.........
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/05 13:53:04
    fishscab
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 17:11:36 (permalink)

#1.. good food

#2.. security - hunting pressure can effect this - if it is not really good security, but good security also leads to less sightings and the belief there are no deer there..

#3.. water

So no I do not believe posted or private land aotomatically has more of any of those 3 things... especially deer...

You didn't list deer as one of those 3 things...

Sup there Doc??? Little blue pill kickin in today ??

I call """BS"""
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/05 22:10:49 (permalink)
    You didn't list deer as one of those 3 things...

Huh ?????????

You drunk ??????? 

I started with... ""deer are found where three things are..""
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/01/05 22:12:50
    Goodsy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Gained some access 2009/01/06 15:47:49 (permalink)
    Gaining access to private property is great, but doesn't always lead to solitary hunting.  I live near Franklin and have a great neighbor who owns a boat load(~600 acres) of prime hunting area.  He does not hunt and allows neighbors to hunt it by permission only.  It does not always work that way and there are people who hunt it who think they own it.  It is very frustrating and probably what will end up happening is the owner will close it to all.  I obide by his requests, but others do not.  For instance:

1) no four wheelers on the property unless you need to get a deer out
    2) no screws in trees
    3) permission only

The problem is I do not want tell on the others that are doing this for fear the landowner will get frustrated(he has been told many times before) and just shut it down for everyone.  I do not want to confront the individuals for fear that it would cause a holy war in my neighborhood and do not feel it is my right to police the property since I am not paying for it or do not own it.  Fortunately for me the majority of the property is river hill with limited access and most people do not attempt to hunt it because of the difficulty level and drag involved.

I will say the benefits outway the negatives, but is can be very very very frustrating at times! 

Jump to: