shenango dam

Author
get.the.net
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/20 21:01:02 (permalink)

shenango dam

NEED HELP!  I am going to be heading up to the shenango dam this weekend and was wondering if anyone was having any luck and any tactics that could be used to catch stripers, walleye, etc???

4 Replies Related Threads

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: shenango dam 2007/06/24 21:06:27 (permalink)
    Does anyone have info on this lake would like to try it and what is the max horsepower on this lake.
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: shenango dam 2007/06/24 21:53:18 (permalink)
    There is no horsepower limit. There are six launches...Golden Run, Clark, Hartford, Parkers Landing, Mahaney and the main campground launch. Of note are that Mahaney closes at dark, the main campground launch and Clark require a small fee.

Mahaney recreation area is no wake, which spans from the dam to the railroad tressel. If you want to fish the southern end of the lake, you'll want to launch at Hartford or Parkers Landing. I should note that to the left of Parkers Landing is a restricted 10HP limit section (lots of good bass fishing in this area) but basically no one obeys it. Fishing the north end, you'll want to launch at either Golden Run, Clark or the main campground launch. Mahaney basically puts you in the middle.

As far as the fishing goes, it depends on what you're after. Crappie fishing is excellent, bass fishing is excellent,  catfishing is excellent and the hybrid striped bass can be good at times. There is a population of northerns, muskie and walleye as well, but it's hit or miss.

If you're after walleye, fish the southern end of the lake from the route 846 bridge down. Concentrate your efforts on marking fish just off the channel humps. Best bet is to troll if you can dodge the pleasure boaters, jetskis, etc. (depending on when you fish). Hot n' Tots and Husky Jerks have been most successful. Don't expect to limit out or anything.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: shenango dam 2007/06/25 09:00:53 (permalink)
    Thanxs for the info ronnie.
    MICK FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: shenango dam 2007/06/25 23:48:50 (permalink)
    http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/rec/lakes/shenango.htm

If you call the number on the website they give daily info about water temp, etc.

Good Luck!  Let us know how it goes.
    Jump to: