chest waders

Author
skeeter72190
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/25 09:44:00 (permalink)

chest waders

hey whats up everyone merry christmas. Im looking to buy a pair of chest waders and i have no idea what the differences are between breathable and neoprine which one is better and what i should look for ne advice will help thanks alot and again merry chirstmas.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

4 Replies Related Threads

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: chest waders 2008/12/25 10:15:34 (permalink)
    A pair with boots attached  will be warmer. Neo are very nice in the fall and winter but you will sweat it out in the warmer temps of spring and summer. A quality pair of breathable's will afford you the ability to fish the warm seasons. Neo usually are more durable. with out boats offers you the ability to ware a pair that will suit you, in price or features that will make your fishing more comfortable. Traction on the bottom is important, felt is good, felt with studs Very good. I would steer away from the lug soles as they are very slippery on the stream bottoms. Good luck and pay as much as you can afford. More money spent will usually give you a better warrantee. Lower price point Simms are very nice as well as orvis,  cabela's, and LL bean. I personally would stick to these brands.
    Good luck and Merry Christmas
    Chris
      All just checking in Merry Christmas to all and hope to see you at a PSA meeting.

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: chest waders 2008/12/25 11:09:55 (permalink)
    I'd pretty much agree with most of the above post, but I've never found neoprenes to be very durable. I've been wearing breathables in the winter without getting overly cold, but you need to dress warmly, layered up, with quality wool socks. I don't care for felt bottoms, I think you slide around too much in muck and mud. There may also be a trend in manufacturers to get away from felt soles; reasoning being that perhaps they carry invasives from one water system to another. I wear studded Aquastealth boots and don't slide around too much on stream bottoms.
    Spend at least as much as you can afford; you won't regret buying quality. Lastly, LL Bean has a pair of boot foot neoprenes for $179 or so, marked down 75 bucks I think.
    post edited by fishbreath - 2008/12/25 11:11:55
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: chest waders 2008/12/25 12:20:11 (permalink)
    Neoprene = More warmth, more weight, more durable, a bit bulky, no breathability

Breathables = Lightweight, less warm, easy mobility while wearing

For me, breathables are nicer in the fall, but I'd suggest saving up your cash and buying a good pair.....They WILL leak after a few seasons with alot of use....They ALL do.  The neos are great for wintertime and keeping me warm...heavier, but thats OK by me when its freezing out there...and the insulated bootfoots keep my feet toasty.  I think they are also more durable than breathables.  Mine are the Mad Dogs.  If you're serious about fishing, and fish all year round, my suggestion would be to buy two pair...one for Fall and spring and one for the dead of winter....Good Luck!

NEOS

BREATHABLES

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: chest waders 2008/12/25 19:13:20 (permalink)
    Hodgemans boot foot with felt cant wait to try them on monday
    Jump to: