Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
GadaboutGaddus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/21 18:50:27 (permalink)

Area 51/ Posted land/ campground

Was at a campground on Elk Creek on Friday and found the water below the campground was posted?  This was a great spot!  There was a cable strung across the whole creek with a posted sign on it! This may be old news for a lot of you but I have not fished this water in a number of years but had always done good there! Is this more guide water? Are both sides owned by the same land owner?  I am just curious to find out. By the way I did see some fish but not a ton!    

May your fly rod always be bent!

30 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/21 19:25:16 (permalink)
    pm sent
    tribster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/21 19:33:29 (permalink)
    Which campground folleys? Uncle Johns?
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/21 23:13:10 (permalink)
    Brian, I was at Area 51! (Follies) It must be top secret if they are posting it. It is a shame because the water there was great! I wonder what happened to have this get to this point?

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/21 23:56:42 (permalink)
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/12/21 23:57:32

350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 07:24:46 (permalink)
    That area has been posted for a couple years now, just the bright colored cable is new.  Apearently signs were not working good enought for the landowner.  It sucks that he posted it...but it is his land.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 10:47:18 (permalink)
    yep, total bummer.

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 11:23:24 (permalink)
    It's a real shame that got posted, I really enjoyed fishing there but I guess thats what we have to deal with for people being inconsiderate.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 12:10:16 (permalink)
    I don't believe it was people being inconsiderate so much as the landowners found out they could make money off the creek and the fish. 
    lo
    It is a very beautiful section of Elk creek that for now only a privileged few will ever get to see or fish for that matter.  It is shame.  I used to love to fish down there.  What can you do?  The landowner is within his/her rights to post it and sell off the fishing privileges to whomever he/she chooses.  Of course just because you can do something does not make it right.  I believe that what goes around comes around and what you put out into the world comes back to your many fold over.  The universe seems to have a way of evening things out.

pax vobiscum +
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 13:28:57 (permalink)
    You can't blame the landowner for cashing in.  The real shame is that the fish have to pass through there to get upstream.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 13:46:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I don't believe it was people being inconsiderate so much as the landowners found out they could make money off the creek and the fish. 
    lo
    It is a very beautiful section of Elk creek that for now only a privileged few will ever get to see or fish for that matter.  It is shame.  I used to love to fish down there.  What can you do?  The landowner is within his/her rights to post it and sell off the fishing privileges to whomever he/she chooses.  Of course just because you can do something does not make it right.  I believe that what goes around comes around and what you put out into the world comes back to your many fold over.  The universe seems to have a way of evening things out.

Do you know who leased that stretch?  Is it leased for sure? 

There is one particular guide I've seen down there mostly over the years, way more often than any other guide that I recognize. 

I'd like to know more about that property.  Bughawk?  pxatim?  feel free to PM.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 14:16:08 (permalink)
    D-nymph I do not know who leased the area.  I was told it was leased and that is all.  The person who told me that could have told me something that is untrue, or I could have miss understood exactly what section of the stream they were talking about.  Anyway the property is posted and that is it.  The owner is not doing anything illegal or wrong.  It is their decision.  I would have wished that they would have not posted the area.

Mac - the fish do swim through.  I have plenty of places to fish without fishing that section of Elk creek.  That is not the point.  It is a beautiful section of water that most fisherman will never get to see.  That is the shame.

pax vobiscum +
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 14:25:13 (permalink)
     Anyway the property is posted and that is it.  The owner is not doing anything illegal or wrong.  It is their decision.  I would have wished that they would have not posted the area.

Oh i agree, nothing done wrong by the landowner, it's their property.  It's a shame indeed.  I was only wondering if anyone knew the story.

thanks.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 15:10:20 (permalink)
    D-nymph,

I do know that the guy just below Follies would post his section of stream during rifle deer season because he and his family hunted down there and they did it for safety reasons.  That in my opinion is a very smart move. 

Honestly, since that section has been posted I have not been down there.  I don't go where I am not wanted.

pax vobiscum +
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 15:39:40 (permalink)
    D,
    That section has been posted for quite a few years. At least 4 years(or more) to the best of my knowledge.

Ironhed
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 15:50:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

D,
    That section has been posted for quite a few years. At least 4 years(or more) to the best of my knowledge.

Ironhed

Yea, I know, Mr. Hed.  I never heard the real story though.  I heard rumors, but not that I trust.

It was always kind of ambiguously posted in the past.  In such a way that I could never tell if they meant, stay out of the woods, or out of the creek altogether, because the signs were only on that clump of debris looking downstream right.  Now, there is no ambiguity, you know?

I don't fish there hardly ever anymore.  It was my favorite stretch of trib though.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 17:47:38 (permalink)
    You are right D.
    If you don't get the point now...

Ironhed
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 18:28:57 (permalink)
    I have no problem with someone posting land that they own for whatever reason. I just want to know if he owns both sides of the stream? If he does fine. If he doesn't what gives him the right to post someone elses property? I am not saying that this is the case in regards to the section we are referring too! Unless it opens up again,I will never fish this section again. I believe what Bughawk has said, what goes around comes around. Just be patient!

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/22 19:56:05 (permalink)

D-nymph,

I do know that the guy just below Follies would post his section of stream during rifle deer season because he and his family hunted down there and they did it for safety reasons.  That in my opinion is a very smart move. 

Honestly, since that section has been posted I have not been down there.  I don't go where I am not wanted.

During hunting season they put up signs asking anglers to wear orange during deer season.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 09:48:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pxatim

D-nymph,

During hunting season they put up signs asking anglers to wear orange during deer season.

Those signs are there all fishing season.  This is the new version.

This one is the old school, pre-laminated version of years passed.

post edited by D-nymph - 2008/12/23 09:57:14
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 09:56:08 (permalink)
    I have not been there in a long time and don't recall those signs.  I do know the landowner used to post it during hunting season.  Go to see you can still fish it, just wear your orange.

pax vobiscum +
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 10:34:38 (permalink)
    Hey Guys fished there about a month ago right before Rifle.  The signs said something like please respect landowner and do not cross land.  (Meaning stay along the creek...)
    I have seen the cable across the creek in years past in hunting season but as soon as hunting season is over the cable usually comes down. I don't think its a money thing. I personally think its a safety season. ( This is my favorite spot to fish and I know that they hunt with the smoke polls around there so I think thats why the cable is up!) AT LEAST I HOPE!!!  

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 11:58:52 (permalink)
    I haven't fished that area in several years (since you had to start arriving before daylight to get a parking spot), but I believe some might be confused still. From the pics, the cable strung across the creek is downstream a couple bends from follies, and that has been posted for quite some time.  The wearing orange posters are the property directly downstream/adjacent to follies.  That's nothing new. Actually at one time, I believe his request was to stay out all together during the 2 week rifle season, but from what I seen not too many honored his request.

But I could be wrong, like I said haven't been there in a while.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/12/23 12:02:38
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 12:31:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

I haven't fished that area in several years (since you had to start arriving before daylight to get a parking spot), but I believe some might be confused still. From the pics, the cable strung across the creek is downstream a couple bends from follies, and that has been posted for quite some time.  The wearing orange posters are the property directly downstream/adjacent to follies.  That's nothing new. Actually at one time, I believe his request was to stay out all together during the 2 week rifle season, but from what I seen not too many honored his request.

you are correct on all counts, especially on the parkign before daylight.  lol.

I took all those photos.
    post edited by D-nymph - 2008/12/23 12:32:00
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 12:38:23 (permalink)
    there is a section on 20mile were i was taking small arms fire overhead back around thankxgivin
    this was not hunting
    semi-auto handgun

.... that was fun
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 13:11:50 (permalink)
    Was that the guy on the side of the stream firing down the stream not at the bank because if so I was there and I believe it was a sunday
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 13:14:53 (permalink)
    yup...
    i walked past you

papinner
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 13:18:27 (permalink)
    I thought so those people that live there are a little strange
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 13:33:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

No you are correct... the cable is downstream about .5 mile

It's been posted for quite a few years.. not just for during hunting season. I know last year at least the guy right across the stream from folly's is the one who had signs up to wear orange and to stay near the stream. I fished that strech earlier this year in Oct. but haven't been in there since.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Area 51/ Posted land/ campground 2008/12/23 13:50:27 (permalink)
    does the fish commish check the river to see if people that post that put anything across the stream to stop fish from migrating up stream?

A guy i know in a local stream around here put that orange construction plastic fencing across a public river to keep trout in a certain area that he posted  i know its illegal but im sure if the land owner would want to make some money post it, put that fencing up and charge people for their special honey holes. I would hope people that post their land wouldnt do that but I hope someones keeping an eye out just incase they do.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: