dipsy diver

Author
haemofish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/18 13:25:43 (permalink)

dipsy diver

What are most of you running you dipsy's at(ft behind boat/speed)

I ran a big dipsy 3 1/2 setting 80 ft back 3 mph

medium 0 setting 105 ft back

# 40 jet diver 100ft back.

all had stingers on

didn't do so well any advice on speed / length back would help. heading out this sat 6-23 out of walnut(weather permitting)

10 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 13:37:17 (permalink)
    You have to look at your sonar, and see what depth the fish are. Not knowing that, no-one can tell you how far back to run. The type of line you are running is also a factor. Get a copy of "Precision Trolling", or use the chart that came with your Dipsys. Most folks run between 2 & 2.5 mph. some even as low as 1.8, 1.5. Try starting at 2.2, and make some S turns. If you get hit on the inside rods, slow down. If you get hit on the outside rods, speed up. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 13:55:39 (permalink)
    3mph...wow thats fast...

1.8-2.2mph GPS Speed for walleye
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/06/18 13:56:17

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 14:49:53 (permalink)
    I don't know CB.  I've caught quite a few 'eyes this year at 2.5 to 2.7.  I know last year at the EPSFA Pro-Am one of the boats got their 'eye limit going 3.7!!!!  But by and large, you are right, I like 2.2 to 2.5 GPS best for 'eyes. 

Haemofish: Are you running divys on mono?  braid?  That has a bearing as well. 
    haemofish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 18:21:59 (permalink)
    I have braided line on.
    the reason i asked is because last week we were not marking anyfish and a few guys over the radio were saying the weren't marking fish but catching some. I don't have a radio on my boat ( which i will be using this weekend) so i was tring to get some general help.  I have a fish/depth finder on my boat ( not the best, does good with the water depth just don't know how it will do with picking up the fish) I want to pick up a trolling precision book but need to wait a couple weeks to spend 30 bucs on a book since i just spent $300 getting set up to troll this year
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 18:37:41 (permalink)
    There are so many variables to trolling that I find it hard to give an answer usually as spoon said 2-2.5 on speed and line out depending on the depth you're fishing, size dipsy, speed, all a factor. I usually look at the depth I'm fishing and try to start as deep as I can without bottoming out and come up from there. Like I said, many variables and one day one program works and another day a different program. Time spent on the water = results. More time - better results (at least we hope!)   Dave
    Bomber Charters
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/18 20:41:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: haemofish

I have braided line on.
    the reason i asked is because last week we were not marking anyfish and a few guys over the radio were saying the weren't marking fish but catching some. I don't have a radio on my boat ( which i will be using this weekend) so i was tring to get some general help.  I have a fish/depth finder on my boat ( not the best, does good with the water depth just don't know how it will do with picking up the fish) I want to pick up a trolling precision book but need to wait a couple weeks to spend 30 bucs on a book since i just spent $300 getting set up to troll this year

We're limiting every day.  Do this with your dipsy's....run the outsides at 3.5 a hundred back....insides at 2 setting 60 back and keep the boat speed at 2.4 to 2.6  No reason why you shouldn't catch em.  Also, you won't mark many fish...they hit the road when the boat comes by.  Marks are often sheepheads, not eyes.  Caution:  keep your drags on the edge...the steelies are crushing them.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/19 11:05:53 (permalink)
    Hey Bomber,

Why are the steelies in this tight this time of year???  I know that there is bait is inside, but the temps are a little warm for 'bows.  I can't say as I recall catching/hearing of catching this many steelhead inside of at least the first trench this early.  This year has been VERY strange so far.  Walleyes were on for a week or two, schooled up nicely, then scattered like crazy!  We hooked two steelies last Thursday in 44 fow!  I'd buy that in late August, but not mid June!  This year is making my head spin!  I haven't really been able to grasp why the fish are doing what they are doing! 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/19 14:04:07 (permalink)
    Storm....they schooled up and got slaughtered the other week...dont you think we put a big dent in that little school...lol They take a beating the whole way down here through Ohio waters then we get the left overs...

We can only hope they continue to keep coming in...im sure we will be seeing some good walleye fishing in the next few weeks

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/19 15:58:25 (permalink)
    hae., How long of a lead to your spoons are you using off your dipsy?  Reason I ask is this past Sat. we were using 4ft. leads that had been on from our last salmon trip. Finally decided to lengthen the leads to 6ft. or longer and started catching walleyes. Should of did it earlier but I was too lazy.
    Bomber Charters
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: dipsy diver 2007/06/19 18:41:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Hey Bomber,

Why are the steelies in this tight this time of year???  I know that there is bait is inside, but the temps are a little warm for 'bows.  I can't say as I recall catching/hearing of catching this many steelhead inside of at least the first trench this early.  This year has been VERY strange so far.  Walleyes were on for a week or two, schooled up nicely, then scattered like crazy!  We hooked two steelies last Thursday in 44 fow!  I'd buy that in late August, but not mid June!  This year is making my head spin!  I haven't really been able to grasp why the fish are doing what they are doing! 
    The walleyes are all over the place and plenty of em.  If you don't run boards, you chances dwindle pretty fast.  Dipsy guys are fishing underneath the fish.  The fish suspended up high in warmer water right now.  It's freezing down deep. 

Further out only shows a blue screen...the water's mighty cold yet.  So, the steelies are in a comfort zone of 55-60 fow, suspended up high.  Plus they are packed to the gills with baitfish.  They have no reason to move.  Temps and food.  The walleyes are mixed right in with them, sharing away. 

Yes, a little strange for June.
    Jump to: