EASY ACCESS

Author
Krufnik
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/14 08:38:13 (permalink)

EASY ACCESS

Looking for some advice.  My mother who is 81 used to love to fish.  She doesnt get around very well at all any more.  My brother and I want to take her fishing.  She lives in the South Hills.  She used to fish with her father down on the wharf.  She loved to fish.  Took us all the time when we were little.  One time when we were little she went night fishing with my grandfather down the river off the wharf and when we woke up she said why dont you go for a swim.  We had a little two foot high pool in the back yard.  She somehow bright home a huge catfish.  We were freaking out.  She would love to get back out there. 

Does anyone know of a place along the Yough or Mon that has wheelchair access or somewhere that is really close to the car.  She would bring a chair to sit in but could not walk on rough terrain. 

Thanks in advance for your help

8 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 09:09:05 (permalink)
    Guys shore fish the Yough at the launch site in Boston all the time.  Mostly pull in suckers and a few white bass from what I have seen (only a few mins. spent there launching and retrieving my boat) but it is fishing.  The access is easy.  You can set up a lawn chair right off your front bumper and be fishing.  Also, if you want lake fishing, Lake Wilhelm up in Mercer county has a nice pier that is handicap accessible right at the main marina.  It stretches out far enough to get you into some deeper water and I am sure with some cut/stinkbait she could get into some bullheads and channel cats fishing on the bottom.  Also hang some nice panfish depending on the time of the year.  Twin lakes and north park lakes I am sure have some accessible fishing.  The walk along the shore on upper twin lake is easy and there are many places to fish.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 09:20:19 (permalink)
    The Mon down in elizabeth has a fishing ramp by the bridge.  I have never been there but it looks very easy to get on it.  Also morain has a handicap ramp as does confluence on the yough.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 09:20:23 (permalink)
    Cedar creek park on the yough.  Drive through the park down the hill to the bike trail.  When you get to the bottom of the hill stay left until you see the boat launch.  There are grassy areas to fish on either side of the launch.  Saw a guy in a wheelchair a few weeks ago get a 17" smallie.  Hope this helps.
    Dr. Fotios
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 09:46:33 (permalink)
    Canonsburg Lake is near South Hills and has a relatively new nice cement handicap area infront of the parking lot and to the left of the boat ramp. Its right on the water. I know alot of people dont take canonsburg lake too seriously except for the guys who like to go down around first day of trout and redeem their trout stamps on farm raised trout they paid for but at this time of year it shouldnt be too busy. I have caught alot in that general area on the lake including some decent sized (28in) channels, although I usually fish at nite. Cross creek also has a nice handicap area but I havent been in years. Check out the satellite photos online to get a better idea of accessibility. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Blaze
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 11:02:21 (permalink)
    Krufnik,
    The access in Elizabeth is a good place for a wheelchair. If you contact the borough they will assist you in aquiring a key to open the gate so you can drive down to the lower part of the platform. You have to provide proof of disability but it's worth not having to circumnavigate the gate. My brother has a disability and has a key to the gate.

I can't say the fishing there is great but it's clean and a relatively safe area.

-
    Blaze
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 11:39:46 (permalink)
    Fish cannonsburg at dusk, dawn, and dark with small shiners and wax worms under a bobber about 4' at the handicap ramp/parking lot.  This time of year you'll catch trout, bass, cats, and panfish the whole time you're there.  Once the sun comes up it gets tougher. 
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/14 12:39:41 (permalink)
    Southside Park at the end of 18th Street has a dock and a pier that goes out to the waters edge.
    Mon Warf if it is open.

Krufnik
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: EASY ACCESS 2007/06/15 08:36:17 (permalink)
    I really appreciate the feedback.  I know it would make my mom's week if she could catch a couple fish.  Up to last year she took my 5 year old nephew and his sister to a Trax farm to catch blue gills.  She hasnt done it this year because she is afraid she will fall.  Again, thanks for the advice. 
    Jump to: