New glidebaits

Author
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/04 14:37:54 (permalink)

New glidebaits

A couple glidebaits I've made out of PVC.  7.5" long and suspending to slow sink.

6 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: New glidebaits 2008/12/05 22:06:07 (permalink)
    Dealinsteel,

Another set of awesome looking baits!!  I love throwing gliders even though i've never had much luck with them other than follows and short takes, i love their actions!  What kind of action do these baits have with the fin incorporated in??  Do they work more like a weighted suick or still have the walk the dog action of hellbound? 

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: New glidebaits 2008/12/08 08:50:06 (permalink)
    Sorry it took me a couple days Avid.  It has the walk the dog action like the Hellhound or Manta.  The black one sinks a little faster than the other, so I want to see which style I like better.  You can work these pretty much anyway, from as fast as you can pull them to a nice wide, slow glide.  They have a little wobble to them on the pull, but the back lip gives them pretty good stability from rolling over.  Glad you like them!!   
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: New glidebaits 2008/12/08 16:56:26 (permalink)
    Are they made completely from the pvc tubing?   Or did you have to mold something else into form more of cone shaped head??  What did you use to weight them?  Sorry for all the questions but i'm intreged by the whole lure crafting trade, i myself don't have the craftsmenship or the patience to make lures.  They look awesome!!!  Also i like how you have the hooks laid out for better hookup percentages.  I try to bend mine down so they'll lay outside the bait more like that to with jerkbaits.

dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: New glidebaits 2008/12/09 09:26:20 (permalink)
    They're made from PVC sheeting that is used by outdoor sign makers, which is nice because it's resistant to water unlike wood that needs sealed so well.  You could essentially fish these baits without paint or the clear but then they wouldn't look nearly as pretty :)  The sheeting is only 3/4" so two pieces need to be glued together, and then the shape is achieved on a lathe.  The slope of the head is sanded on a belt sander.  I've tried many different ways of weighting with wood, but since this stuff would melt with hot lead, I used some pre-formed lead musket balls.  The diameter of the body is just wide enough that it guards the hooks, so I've T'ed them, like you mentioned, to get a better hookup percentage.  Here's another.  I'm pretty happy with the way all of my baits look, but I've been doing things pretty unconventional by using spray paint.  I've gotten alot of experience with painting patterns and scales, but I'm ready to move on to the detail of an airbrush.  Hopefully after Christmas I'll have a few more baits to post for you guys.  Thanks for the kind words Avid.   

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: New glidebaits 2008/12/09 17:49:13 (permalink)
    Another great looking bait!!!  Can't wait to see the rest!!

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: New glidebaits 2009/01/01 17:18:40 (permalink)
      Anymore new baits dealinsteel???  i'm getting ancy to see some!!

Jump to: