Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles

Author
Trout About
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1048
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/11 20:10:36 (permalink)

Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles

I realize I posted this on the Erie board and not the NY board, but I figured you all would enjoy the report.

I'm posting this report a week late and with limited photos.  I'll explain.

Week late:  I broke my ankle the day after we got home. (tried to walk and chew gum at the same time :D )  It's been chaos around here since then.  I'm back to work and almost all is good.

Limited photos:  The fishing was so good, we didn't want to take the time to stop and snap many.

Friday:
This trip started out no different than all of my other trips to the Niagara....with adult beverages and conversation with good friends.  Music.....food......beer......friends......hot tub.......how could it get any better?  FISHING!!  We made it to bed by 2am (early by our standards).

Saturday:
We're on the water by 9am, me & my wife and Capt. Matt & his wife (she wasn't fishing.....just along for the ride).  It was a great morning to be on the water, plus the fish were cooperating.  We fished from 9a-2p and boated over 30 smallies.

Here's a couple we managed to get pics of:

At 2pm, we headed back to Capt. Matt's for a snack.  We tinkered around with the boat and decided to head back out for the evening bite (without the girls).

We got to our spot at 7pm.  This was the result of our first cast:

and my second cast:

Then it got a bit slow at out first spot, so we relocated to Devils Hole.  2 drifts in, I hook up with something that wants to take all of my line.  after a 15min battle, I bring this beast to the net:

a 19# common carp.  It fell for my tube.  We managed another 8 smallies after the carp incident for a total of 40 smallies from 7pm-9pm.

Back to the Capt.'s house to unwind a bit.  We danced and partied til 3am or so.  I really lost track of the time (no news there).  On a side note, that yellow fishing shirt I had on earned me the nickname of Bigbird for the remainder of the night.

Sunday:
Somehow we managed to get up and be fishing by 10am.  we fished the same spots, but must have hammered them pretty good the night before.  we were only able to scrape up another 31 smallies before calling it quits at 1pm.

here's a couple pics.

All fish were caught on either tubes or dropshot, with dropshot baits outproducing the tubes by quite a margain.  I think by throwing something different, something the fish aren't conditioned to, I was able to get more bites.

I'm still waiting for Matt to send some more pics from his camera.  I believe he called them "Bigbird in action".

6 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/11 21:49:22 (permalink)
    Excellent pictures of the fish and the Niagra River!   Thanks for sharing. 
    I'm hoping to fish it next late-spring. 
    Are there any brown trout in there at this time of the year?....pike?
    post edited by beerman - 2007/06/11 23:47:54

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/11 23:13:19 (permalink)
    The color of that water always looks so inviting. Greener yet cleaner than the Mon down here. Nice pics as always of that river.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/11 23:52:09 (permalink)
    Greg,

Pike/muskie/?  Who knows....I broke off 4 fish on the hookset.  I know they are there, as are gar and sturgeon.  Saw quire a few sturgeon coming to the surface and many gar cruising too.  Don't know of any brownies around, but there were steelies everywhere.  We could see some near the shore and they were jumping all around us.  One boat came to the Devils Hole on Sunday and did a few drifts for steel.  He picked up one each drift.  Another captain buddy struck-out on the lake for salmon, so he took his guests up the river for smallies and picked up a 31" steelie on a tube.  Imagine that one on bass gear!

Here's a couple accidental catches from a few years ago.

You never know what you're gonna bring to the net in that river.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/12 13:22:55 (permalink)
    Sweet Trout.  thanks for sharing!!

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/13 21:07:31 (permalink)
    Nice catches! That water looks sooooooo nice.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Lower niagara River - Smallies and smiles 2007/06/13 22:13:24 (permalink)
    You make my heart pound. Thank you for sharing the great time you had. You did look a little green after the night out but the fishing really helped ya. Been a long time since I was there and really miss it. Glad you and your buds had a good time.

Jump to: