Rogue CO's

Author
sstaz69
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/10 00:55:12 (permalink)

Rogue CO's

First off let me say that I respect the majority of the Co's I have ran into. They have been professional and for the most part pretty friendly.
Today was an exception, some friends and I came in from fishing out on the lake and the fish commission was there to greet us. Usually they come up with a friendly greeting, not these one's. It was "ok we can do this the easy way or the hard way". I thought to myself, what the hell did I do. They proceeded to check the usual thing's and then asked to see the fire extinguisher that was required to be on the boat. I know the boating laws and with the arrogance that was coming off these guy's I decided to ask (as I was handing them the marine fire extinguisher) why a fire extinguisher was required on the boat. The boat is a 17' open bow with an outboard and 2 carry on external tanks that slip under the splash well. They told me that any boat with closed compartments had to have one. Since the seats were the fold down type there is a compartment underneath that is closed and that means that it is required. I told them that fuel was not stored under the seats and they told me that didnt matter. They said any compartment that is closed including an aluminum boat that someone put a floor in needed one. I almost asked them if the boat just had a glove box and that was it if it needed one. I then remembered the post a little while ago about the fire extinguishers. So when I got home I looked it up and read what WCO posted. These guy's were dead wrong and either just wanted to push thier wieght around or had no idea what the laws are. It really gets me when people of authority try act like they are god. They put thier pants on one leg at a time like i do. I give them respect and expect a little respect in return.
Oh ya, also one of them boarded the boat with out asking. I thought they had to ask before boarding??? I may be wrong on that one.
post edited by sstaz69 - 2007/06/10 01:06:13

23 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 07:02:59 (permalink)
    Have to agree with you on this one. The Fish Wardens (They act like wardens tending criminals) in Pa are some of the rudest fellows I've ever seen. My hats off to the CO's in Ohio and NY. No holier than thou attitude and what can I bust you for today.
       I don't know if any of you remember Mr. Carter who patrolled the Bull Dam and North East area. This man right here trained the guys you run into I bet.. He was the epitome of ****hole. Pushed me out of the way to get in my ice hut once to see if we had too many rods. Couldn't find anything so they left and we watched him drive over in the brush and watch us for 5 hours till we quit. He even checked our license again. Like they expired in 6 hours of fishing. When we came in he went as far as to count our pop bottles to make sure we didn't throw any down the holes in the ice. He saw we had a 6-pack of pop the first check.He counted and checked all our bait, went through every tackle box. Found nothing, turned and walked away without even a how do you do...
       No way to make friends or get help from people if you treat them like criminals.Mind you some are but not all of us..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 10:08:55 (permalink)
    What was the wardens name. We would all like to know so we know what to expect from him.
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 11:14:11 (permalink)
    I wish I would have got his name but I forgot. I'm sure I will run into him again and I'll get it next time.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 11:35:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sstaz69

First off let me say that I respect the majority of the Co's I have ran into. They have been professional and for the most part pretty friendly.
    Today was an exception, some friends and I came in from fishing out on the lake and the fish commission was there to greet us. Usually they come up with a friendly greeting, not these one's. It was "ok we can do this the easy way or the hard way". I thought to myself, what the hell did I do. They proceeded to check the usual thing's and then asked to see the fire extinguisher that was required to be on the boat. I know the boating laws and with the arrogance that was coming off these guy's I decided to ask (as I was handing them the marine fire extinguisher) why a fire extinguisher was required on the boat. The boat is a 17' open bow with an outboard and 2 carry on external tanks that slip under the splash well. They told me that any boat with closed compartments had to have one. Since the seats were the fold down type there is a compartment underneath that is closed and that means that it is required. I told them that fuel was not stored under the seats and they told me that didnt matter. They said any compartment that is closed including an aluminum boat that someone put a floor in needed one. I almost asked them if the boat just had a glove box and that was it if it needed one. I then remembered the post a little while ago about the fire extinguishers. So when I got home I looked it up and read what WCO posted. These guy's were dead wrong and either just wanted to push thier wieght around or had no idea what the laws are. It really gets me when people of authority try act like they are god. They put thier pants on one leg at a time like i do. I give them respect and expect a little respect in return.
    Oh ya, also one of them boarded the boat with out asking. I thought they had to ask before boarding??? I may be wrong on that one.

And thats why my boat is docked in Ohio, even though I live in PA, my boat has OH title and registration, Tax was paid to Ohio, PA also loses the tax on 1500 gallons of gas or so, and most of thier facilities suck too, OK Im done complaining now
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 11:36:42 (permalink)
    Forgot to mention the fishing is better too
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 15:50:41 (permalink)
    I have traveled all over the country, and beyond. Trust me, there are A-holes EVERYWHERE. Even in Ohio.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 17:29:14 (permalink)
    Was he smoking a cigar?

I wish I would have got his name but I forgot. I'm sure I will run into him again and I'll get it next time.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 17:36:22 (permalink)
    Ive hunted in 13 different states and fished in more than that, I will agree there are Bungholes everywhere, But my home state of PA seems to have the majority of them, the consensus among most folks I talk to seems to be it is a trait that is picked up as a result of their training, not as a result of upbringing or personality, All I know is that when Ive been checked in other states, you are treated with respect and not like a serial killer. Last year during OH gun season a warden from OH told me about a time he was hunting in PA and was checked by a WCO, he then told me he made a promise never to treat a sportsman like he was treated, Whether it was a true story or not, I dont know, I do know he was the most courteous and respectful warden Ive ever been checked by
    kc
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 19:31:31 (permalink)
    bingsbaits, there are a-wholes in New York also.  Last year I came off of Lake Ontario and there were two conservation officers checking out boats and catches as you came in. One had just graduated from officer school and had to be the bottom of the barrel. In New York it is permissible to filet salmon out on the lake and discard the remains in the lake. He asked to see our catch and I pulled out a bag of filets and he remarks, you are not allowed to filet fish in open waters because they cannot tell if the fish were of legal size. So I open the book of regulations and point it out to him and he says how do I know they were legal? At this point I am ready to scream but I point out that each filet is bigger than the minimum size fish so they had to be legal. Finally the other officer comes over and he must have had two brain cells that talked to each other and he agrees with me and both of them just walk over to the next boat without saying another word to me. It is a shame that those with authority don't realize there is a responsibilty to really know their job and how to perform those duties.
    Scaremypsu2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 19:53:41 (permalink)
    looking at the book it says "closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored.  It is pretty vague and they probably interpret it the way they want.  Probably should spend the 10 bucks at walmart to save gettting pinched

sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/10 21:05:31 (permalink)
        Mrfisherman, he wasnt smoking a cigar at that time. He was kind of short and stocky, I was hoping to see him today but none were around.
        I know the law say's underseats where fuel may be stored, but the storage under these seats is about 6 inch's tall. Dont know of any boat fuel tank that small. And you are right Scare, the writing is vague. That's another problem with the law makers, too many grey area's where officer's can make thier own rules as they see fit. I do have a fire extinguisher on board and wouldnt leave home without it.

longbeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 12:56:57 (permalink)
    Hello,

Just to let you know that there are some really good guys who are WCO. I bring a couple of my students each spring from WV to fish steelhead. Randy Leighton, WCO for the Erie area has gone out of his way to help me with these young fisherman!!!

I have encountered Officers in other states who go out of their way to look for violaitons, and who seem to think if you are hunting or fishing you must be breaking the law! After being checked in WV, our vests checked and grilled about the fishing regs,,,,one of my students once refered to the DNR officer as having a "Cop Mentality",,and the more I thought about it that kid really hit the nail on the head!!!

Anyway, I am sure that PA WCO administration needs to be informed if their officers dont act in a civil and WELL trained manner!!

THINK WINTER,,,THINK STEELHEAD
    longbeards
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 14:15:20 (permalink)
    Why would PA WCO Admin. care?  They don't have enough $$ to fund the Fish and Boat Commission.  A large part of it is our faults (taxpayers).  Why wouldn't we agree to combine the resources of Fish and Boat and Game Commish?  Every other state I have lived in or gone to school in does.  Less bureaucracy, less taxes!  or at least more programs (ie hopefully brown stocking?  maybe coho again?)

We have had several of those in Crawford County and thank goodness they transferred "Big Red" out of here a couple of years ago.  If you do much fishing or boating in western Crawford County, I think you will recall the fellow.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 14:44:43 (permalink)
    I dont see where he went wrong?

His attitude might have been wrong, but the fire extinguisher is a must on a boat with closed compartments...anywhere fuel vapors might get trapped (yea i think you are right they can consider anything closed) and pose a possible fire risk i think is considered closed.

having a 10 dollar fire extinguisher would have avoided the entire situation...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 18:11:34 (permalink)
    CB, I do have a fire extinguisher on the boat. The point is he was wrong. I asked several other different CO's because my friend has a 12' with a closed in bow, the fuel tank is stored in the stern. They said it didnt need one because fuel was not stored there. That makes sense to me. These guy's even said because the bow of my boat had seats with storage underneath a fire extinguisher was required. They were making the law the way they wanted it. Granted i do believe it is a good idea to have one even if it's not required. Dont get me wrong on that point.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 18:40:35 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          If I may interject an opinion here.  Sure most of the PA WCO's can be surly, and have an attitude.  But even while you MAY have been totally in the right, , ,   think of the number of times perday they run across a person who is WAY WRONG and wants to give them a ration  of $hit.  Let's just suppose that 20 min before he met you the WCO had to deal with a boat full of people who had been drinking, had more than their limits, their boat didn't have the necessary safety equipment and they wanted to argue or even fight.  Now what mood do you think you would be in.  Also, these people don't get paid enough to take all the crap they have to take from violators not to mention the bull that comes down from higher.  Maybe, just MAYBE, the man was told by a superior that there had been a fire in Dauphin Co. and the superior wanted ALL enclosed areas inspected.  Added work for no reason other than to justify a decision made by a superior. 
          I have met some poor ones too.  But insted of getting argumentative with them I try to do what they want.  I once had to buy a horn, and travel 55 miles to a supervisors office because the WCO who inspected my boat said the whistle wasn't loud enough.  So next week when I went back to Blanchard dam, I had a set of electric semi horns mounted on the front of my 14.5 foot row boat.  I had even carried a motorcycle battery and push button to activate the thing.  And then I was told it was too loud, but I had made my point.  I not only complied, I over complied.  So I asked for a written leter of compliance which I carried in my "Necessary" bag for the boat.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 22:32:06 (permalink)
    indsguiz: If they can't take the heat maybe they need to get out of the kitchen.I did't do anything to them then I don't want to hear none of their crap!Don't take it out on someone who does'nt deserve it. He has a boss too.

post edited by walcat01 - 2007/06/12 10:55:01
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 23:06:28 (permalink)
    I asked that question for a reason. There is only 1 bad apple in Erie, and he smokes a cigar and drives a white explorer. You'll see him at Walnut and other places. Older guy with camo pants and did I mention smoking a cigar?

Mrfisherman, he wasnt smoking a cigar at that time. He was kind of short and stocky, I was hoping to see him today but none were around.
       I know the law say's underseats where fuel may be stored, but the storage under these seats is about 6 inch's tall. Dont know of any boat fuel tank that small. And you are right Scare, the writing is vague. That's another problem with the law makers, too many grey area's where officer's can make thier own rules as they see fit. I do have a fire extinguisher on board and wouldnt leave home without it.

sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/11 23:21:59 (permalink)
        These guy's were actually in a boat docked at east ave. I will have to watch for the one your talking about. Thank you Mr. fisherman

And yes Walcat, you are right, I run an auto repair shop. If I had an upset customer come in and then took it out on the next one that came in I would be out of business in a quick hurry. If you dont like your job then find something you do like to do. But then i think they probably enjoy pushing thier power around.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/12 14:05:31 (permalink)
    Sounds like Cigars should be carried in the nessecties bag as well..........  It seems to me that for the most part, other than spending WAY too much money on trout (which I like to fish for) that PAFBC does a decent job.  However that does not excuse beligerent attitudes by WCOs.  If I had a real a-hole for a customer 20 min before and then treated the next customer with a crappy attitude, I would not have customers for very long, unfortunatly this does not apply to WCOs, they get the next "customer" regardless.   But consider this it could be MUCH WORSE, they could operate like the Game Commission.  (scary thought),  Actually here is my list of changes that would be made if the PAGC was in charge of Fish and boat.

1.  Population estimate of walleye in erie based on creel surveys is 1.7 billion.
    2.  Walleye are the reason that there are no Blue Pike left.
    3.  According to a study walleye spawning activites promote habitat for goby spawn.
    4.  Corrective measures to be taken.
    5.  PA portion of lake erie is broken into FMUs (Fish management Units) 
         0-11 feet Unit 1A
         11-40 feet Unit 2A
         40-65 feet Unit 3A
         65-feet to Canadian border Unit 4A
    6.  Licenses are sold individually for each unit.
    7   Additional Limit licenses are sold for each Unit, allowing an angler to catch an additional limit for each tag purchases for a fee of 6 dollars. 
    8.  Red tag licensces are also available at a cost of $6 which allow for a limit of walleye at any time of year out of season.
    9. FMAP tags are availible for any angler from property owners along the lake or tributaries, so that areas determined by the landowner (not biologists) to contain too many fish may be thinned out.

I could probably go on but I am tired of typing.  Like I said PAFBC could be worse.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/12 19:58:52 (permalink)
    About a dozen or years ago, a group of us were bass fishing over the Memorial Day weekend.  There were four bass boats in our group and we were usualy fishing within sight of each other.  We would fish the lake in the morning, then the bay in the evening.

On the first day, a patrol boat pulls over to one of our group and proceeds to go through the check of equipment, license, registration, etc.  After the check, the patrol boat leaves and doesn't check any of the rest of us.

Later in the evening, the same patrol boat pull up to the same one of our group in the bay and does the same check.  Again, no other boats in the group were checked.

The next day, the exact same thing happens, both in the morning and in the evening.

On the 3rd day, as we were about to launch, the WCO, same guy, comes over and starts the same check on the same guy in our group.  Our guy lets the check go on until completed and then he asks the question we all want tohave the answer to -- "Why have you checked me twice a day for two day and are checking me again today, while you never checked any of the othe rboats in our group, or any others within sight for that matter?"

The WCO point to the registration number on the boat and says, "You registration number ends in "X,"  that is a dealer registration number."

My buddy replied that yes it was, that his father owned a boat dealership and this was a demo boat, so it carried the shop's universal dealer number.

To this the WCO answered that because the PFBC gets funding from boat registration he didn't like the fact that this boat was using a universal number and there by not contributing to the Commission budget (there is a cost for a deal tag, so the guy was somewhat incorrect).

Our pal starts to get a little excited and gets a little loud -- "So you are telling me that you stopped me, now, five times in three days because you are upset because I am running a dealer tag and it is not putting enough money in your budget?"

The WCO gets equally as loud and says, "Yep, and I am going to write you aticket for something for getting out of line here."

To which our buddy replies as he pulls out his freshly minted State Tropper badge and tells the WCO, "Go to it pal, but you better pray that I don't pull you over going 56 in a 55 or you will find yourself speadeagled, naked, on the double yellow while I do a cavity search."

That basically ended the conversation and we have never been checked since.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/12 21:14:11 (permalink)
    Great story!!! I love it when the table's get turned.
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    RE: Rogue CO's 2007/06/12 22:32:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

About a dozen or years ago, a group of us were bass fishing over the Memorial Day weekend.  There were four bass boats in our group and we were usualy fishing within sight of each other.  We would fish the lake in the morning, then the bay in the evening.

On the first day, a patrol boat pulls over to one of our group and proceeds to go through the check of equipment, license, registration, etc.  After the check, the patrol boat leaves and doesn't check any of the rest of us.

Later in the evening, the same patrol boat pull up to the same one of our group in the bay and does the same check.  Again, no other boats in the group were checked.

The next day, the exact same thing happens, both in the morning and in the evening.

On the 3rd day, as we were about to launch, the WCO, same guy, comes over and starts the same check on the same guy in our group.  Our guy lets the check go on until completed and then he asks the question we all want tohave the answer to -- "Why have you checked me twice a day for two day and are checking me again today, while you never checked any of the othe rboats in our group, or any others within sight for that matter?"

The WCO point to the registration number on the boat and says, "You registration number ends in "X,"  that is a dealer registration number."

My buddy replied that yes it was, that his father owned a boat dealership and this was a demo boat, so it carried the shop's universal dealer number.

To this the WCO answered that because the PFBC gets funding from boat registration he didn't like the fact that this boat was using a universal number and there by not contributing to the Commission budget (there is a cost for a deal tag, so the guy was somewhat incorrect).

Our pal starts to get a little excited and gets a little loud -- "So you are telling me that you stopped me, now, five times in three days because you are upset because I am running a dealer tag and it is not putting enough money in your budget?"

The WCO gets equally as loud and says, "Yep, and I am going to write you aticket for something for getting out of line here."

To which our buddy replies as he pulls out his freshly minted State Tropper badge and tells the WCO, "Go to it pal, but you better pray that I don't pull you over going 56 in a 55 or you will find yourself speadeagled, naked, on the double yellow while I do a cavity search."

That basically ended the conversation and we have never been checked since.

dude thats friggin awesome!
    Jump to: