Braided Leader?

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/20 12:20:02 (permalink)

Braided Leader?

I was fishing with a gentleman on elk Wednesday, and he was using some sort of leader that almost looked braided, It was really nice, didn't kink and he had a small barrel swivel on the end to tie on tippet.

Since I'm a retard and awful fisherman, I get tired of tying on new 500 dollar froghair in freezing cold weather only to see it break. (Just learned this firsthand)

So Does anyone know whats its called or where I can get one? It'd be nice to try and one less thing to blame for my terrible fishing skills.

Thanks!

12 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/20 12:24:17 (permalink)
    It was probably a furled leader  You can make your own   Search google you will find instructions  I made a few   I really like them  

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/20 14:10:40 (permalink)
    Yep dude, that was it.

Searched google and I decided I'd rather spend the few bucks on buying one.

Rather than go through the time making one, end up not liking it, and therefore becoming suicidal on the stream.

Does Fishusa sell em, didn't find em on the website. Or any other local shop?

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/20 14:18:17 (permalink)
    No local shops sell them that I know of  I might be wrong though

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/20 18:01:46 (permalink)
    I often see furled leaders for sale at fly fishing shows. I've used furled leaders and like them. Also saw a demo at a fly show of a guy making furled leaders, and it seemed to have plenty of opps for exasperation. You could also try poly leaders which also let you switch tippets and come in various depth ratings.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 04:07:58 (permalink)
    I prefer poly leaders to furled leaders.  Furled leaders are great for single fly with no added weight and good casting technique.  Once you start getting tailing loops though hook points start snagging the leader and can cause a mess.  Poly leaders are great because you tie a perfection loop on and it is like an extension of your fly line that has been tapered down to a fine point.  Just add tippet and you're fishing.  Also makes a nice switch to go from a 5' polyleader + 5' of tippet for nymphs and dries to a 5' sinking polyleader + 18" of tippet for streamers.  It is like you never changed your rig.

Thanks,
    Rick
    steelfisher06
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 09:09:08 (permalink)
    I use orvis braided leaders,7' medium for steel head and 9' light for trout. I can land hundreds of steelhead with the same leader, leave it on my reel and use it next year. They uncoil straight don,t kink and if you get a knot it one keep fishing, it will not affect the strength.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 11:13:30 (permalink)
    Have you guys used the sinking polyleaders like Rick was talking about for streamer fishing i've never tried them and was curious how they would work on the creeks for steelhead, and if used what brand, lengths basicly how to......
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 12:42:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

I was fishing with a gentleman on elk Wednesday, and he was using some sort of leader that almost looked braided, It was really nice, didn't kink and he had a small barrel swivel on the end to tie on tippet.

Since I'm a retard and awful fisherman, I get tired of tying on new 500 dollar froghair in freezing cold weather only to see it break. (Just learned this firsthand)

So Does anyone know whats its called or where I can get one? It'd be nice to try and one less thing to blame for my terrible fishing skills.

Thanks!

Frog hair does not tie a good knot. You'll be happier with just about any other brand. A lot of people use it because the # test/diameter is higher, but what good is that if it won't hold a good knot?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 13:16:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

Thanks!

Frog hair does not tie a good knot. You'll be happier with just about any other brand. A lot of people use it because the # test/diameter is higher, but what good is that if it won't hold a good knot?

Whats up with the knock on frog-hair? I like it and have not encountered that same problem.  Must be your knot tying skills......

I don't know a lot about these furled leaders but, I have a question for those that use them.  Basically the furled part will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7' from what I have gathered, how much tippet do you attach to that point?  It seems like the weaved design would generate lots of drag, so I am guessing you need long tippets for nymphing.  But, if you need to attach 4-5' of tippet to the end of them wouldn't you lose the benefits?  It seems like if you add that much tippet you are no farther ahead than just putting a similar length of tippet on the end of your fly line.

Please understand I am not trying to cut them apart or the people who use them.  I honestly want to know how they are fished and what benefits they offer in the nymphing department.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 16:29:01 (permalink)
    No nock on the FH from me. I'm just a moron.

Even though I didn't catch anything, this past trip was one hell of a learning experience for me.

Flourocarbon, Flies, Drifting, the IMMENSE feeling of self hatred when you loose a fish.

I'll take a look at the poly leaders tonite, when I have some more time.

also, just a quick thought, if your hook does curl back and get tangled into the braided part of furled leader, ( which WILL happen to me)

Couldn't you just cut it at the hook and tie more leader on? Simple Sinch and boom your back fishing?
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Braided Leader? 2008/11/21 21:17:17 (permalink)
    I've been using furled leaders for trout and steelies for some time now and love them. There is no memory  and they cast like a dream. One downfall to them is that in cold weather they can ice up. I have tried lightly coating them with vaseline and this helps. There is a company called flyfishers that sells one designed for steelhead fishing - expensive - around 12 bucks a piece. Overall though I like them.
    Jump to: