Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/08 12:03:18 (permalink)

Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style

Ok, Finsters state line trip made me think, it would cool if we could all share a story of our worst weather day on the big pond and also the dumbest thing we ever did out there.  Just so that others reading might not make the same mistakes.

My worst weather day was when I was about 15 years old.  We put my Dad's 16 foot alumacraft w/ 25hp in at Dunkirk and then ran southwest about 7 mi, to a spot near Van Buren Pt.  We started with my dad and I, (the boat would get up and plane out with the two of us)  My grandfather then showed up with my two brothers and dumps them with us.  With the extra weight we couldn't plane and top speed was about 10 knots.  Any way we had no radio, and should have known something was up when the lake went glass flat (and not the rolling glass either, tabletop flat) for about a half an hour, then in 15 minutes it went 4-5 with the occasional 6 (not the exaggerated 4-5 either I know what they look like).  Lightning was hitting the light house as we rounded the wall to the harbor and the storm surge was 2ft + in the harbor.  We were very lucky.

The dumbest was my first trip on the big pond in my boat.  I stopped at a bait shop asked where they were catchin the eyes.  The report was 1/2 mile past the shipping lane.  We were still in the loran days and mine worked sporadically (mostly due to when my wallet could afford to fix it), any way I asked the clerk how I would know where the shipping lane was and his quote was "you'll see big f'n ships, and then every other boat on the lake".  Ok so I jump in my 16 ft sylvan 60hp and away I go.  And I run and run and run, finally I see somethin on the horizon.  Must be them big ships I think (boy was I a moron) so i run and run some more and then get the field glasses out.  It wasn't ships,,,, it was Trees!   Oooops.  Long run back!  at least the lake was nice.

So if anyone is new to the lake don't be stupid like me.  I was too poor for the right equipment and too stupid to pay attention to the weather but I fished it anyway and it was dumb. 

Better too far back, than too far forward.

15 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 12:52:41 (permalink)
    I've got a good one.  Don't try to impress your supervisor while putting co-workers in harm's way. 

I was a prep-man on a painting crew for a summer during college, and found out the crew liked to fish, and one guy had a boat.  I mentioned I had access to my Dad's little boat, and how I take it out for smallies and 'eyes off Hammermill.  They didn't have to work hard to convince me to bring it out for a day of fishing the next weekend.  When I say small, I mean a 14' deep V speed boat which we ripped the stearing system out of and set it up for fishing close to shore.  It had a 9.9hp Johnson, and my Dad even mounted oar-locks for fishing Lake Pleasant, though it was awful heavy to row, which I did a few times.  We never had problems out on Erie, we never pushed it's limits, and it handled 1-3's well.  I had informed them of all this, and they still insisted I bring it along.

I show up at the East Ave. launch, and the guys chosen to ride with me laughed.  Then they remembered they were going out with me on it, and those laughs turned to fearful whines.  I said I was going to go, and they could stay behind or come, their choice.  They climbed in and off we went.  I didn't realize that the boss wanted to go a few miles out off the Pennisula, and said we'd need to stay south of the top-edge of the point.  They goated me in to follow, and foolishly, I went.  The other boat quickly disappeared around the point, and I was left with 2 very scared passengers, even though I assured them we could handle the small waves we were in.  I said it will take us some time to get there, but we'll be fine.  About 35 minutes later, we caught up to the other boat on glass-smooth water, which I'd been able to really open up the throttle on.  They'd been scanning with their sonar and were not happy with what they'd seen, and wanted to move west.  They could fly with their big motor (50hp ?).  Us, not quite so. 

Just at that moment, my passengers both started chumming.  They called out to the boss and said they want on that boat.  Not going to happen, as they were full.  The only other option was for us to head back in and drop them off to head home.  I said I'd be happy fishing near shore, which is where I originally had planned.  We got about a half-mile towards the point, and the water changed dramatically.  We ran into some rough water, probably 5-6' swells.  My guys were green, and I was starting to sweat.  My Dad had taught me well about how to run that little boat, but my 2 passengers feared for their lives.  After what seamed like several hours (more like 40 minutes), we reached the launch.  The guys jumped out of the boat, white as ghosts.  Since the water had gotten so rough, the other boat decided to head into the bay, while I pulled out and went home. 

At work the next Monday, I got ribbed pretty good about the size of the boat.  I reminded them of how well it had handled the rough water, and that I got them home safely, though we shouldn't have gone past the Penninsula with it.  I never made that mistake again, and I'm sure those guys never got on another boat they weren't sure of.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 13:12:25 (permalink)
    The day the guy passed away off Walnut or Elk last summer.  We fished off Conneaut and got 2+ tickets in 6 to 8' rollers.  Dumb. 

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 14:32:58 (permalink)
    I fished that day too storm...I relayed the message from the found beached boat to the Coast Gaurd.  I held off goin in the AM and launched around 1030...waves were 4ft by that point and it was fishable...I watched that guy go out in the morning and myself and those with me all thought...man hes nuts...I heard last year that he was pretty far gone with cancer so i dont know if his downfall that day was his own choice, or due to the weather....

Worst day i fished was a few years ago when we were gettin fish in the mid 30s...We were fishing during the week off the clay banks in a strong south west (1-3) wind when it decided to come out of the west.  Lake went to near 7ft with 35mph sustained winds.  Worst part was when my motor ingested water and quit running.  Waves were capping occasionally on the back deck of my boat.  Friend of mine who was also fishing close by towed us in and we were hit broadside by a 7ft wave just outside walnut creek....I thought we all were going for a swim....lol...The girl at walnut told me she thought we were going over as well...lol

ILL NEVER PUT ON A LIFE JACKET AGAIN....lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 17:07:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

The day the guy passed away off Walnut or Elk last summer.  We fished off Conneaut and got 2+ tickets in 6 to 8' rollers.  Dumb. 

we catfished elk that night and spent the night camping on the bluff watching the search copter go back and forth.  DUMB is the correct terminollogy.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 17:52:12 (permalink)
    Well, I've done so many dumb things, I wouldn't know where to begin.

But as far as the worst weather I have ever experienced, it would be the time I found myself in 10 footers. Waves were 2 to 3 just before the storm hit. The storm hit so fast, we only had time to get the lines and boards in. By the time we had everything in, it was already 3 to 5s, if not 4 to 6s. We had gone a couple miles, and the waves had build to 8 to 10 footers. There were 3 of us in my 1994 22 ft Proline cuddy. It was not a walkaround style boat, it was a full cuddy (model designation: 220 Cuddy Fish).

We had to go against the waves to get in. I was actually having to throttle up the face of waves (just like in Perfect Storm), and ease off the throttle (but not too much) going down the face of the waves. One time, I stuffed the bow so bad that green water came up over the windshield and over the storm enclosure. Needless to say, we had our life jackets on. On channel 16, I could hear the Coast Guard calling for anyone to be on the lookout for a boat called "Sea Foam", last reported taking on water. The CG had lost radio contact with them. There wasn't a boat in sight.

Made it back, but it was a real eye opener.  

Erie can be treacherous.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 18:57:48 (permalink)
      I just got down from a 4th fl. roof surrounded by 42 lightning rods at the top of this BIGG hill lighting bolts purdy darn everywhere. It was like a lake up there. Had my steeltoes on & standin in the low spot of the lake. Got the prob. fixed thou. I don't like it too much whenever I get zapped a purdy good one.

Crappy

Dummy me stood up there after I fixed the problem to count  those lightning rods.
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/06/08 19:12:32
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 19:34:14 (permalink)
    OK-I'll bite

How many lightning rods were there?

OK 42
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/06/08 19:53:22
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/08 20:33:51 (permalink)
      Marty I had to start over 3 times I'd get to 23 or sometin like that & a big flashboom would mess me up. Good thing for hair color(dye) or I would look like that guy at the bar in The Great Outdoors   I love fishin storms. I'm not goin back up there to recount either. well maybee....
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/09 09:36:01 (permalink)
    20+ years ago I chartered a 24ft. Thompson out of Conny. and the eyes were 20 miles out. The 6cyl. was too small for the size of the boat and took forever to get to the fish. The waves were running 2-3 when we left at 530 am, after trolling for 4hrs. they increased to 3-5 with a ne wind. As we headed back in they turned into these huge rollers. We would go down into these troughs and be stairing at a wall of water, then roll to the top to see a few boats doing the same thing. Had to run with the waves to keep from being tumble over like a toy. As brad said, you had to work the throttle to manage these waves. Ended up in Astabula and caught a ride back to get the trailer. Very scary stuff.

stream pike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/09 12:31:49 (permalink)
    in 1964 when blue pike were still around we would go out every evening off the pennisula point. right where all the perch are caught now. it used to look like a small city out there with coleman lanterns lighting up the all the boats. it was a local thing to go out every evening and catch them. well, we didnt have the fancy boats guys have now. we used a 12 foot rowboat and it was a 2 hour haul out there but it was worth it to fdill up 5 gallon buckets of blues.
    one night a storm was brewing but the fishing was so good we couldnt leave. once the storm hit, 5-7 foot waves came on instantly. we coulnt even row. we just sat in the bottom of the boat, no life jackets. we were so scared we just hoped eventually we would beach the boat. all night we hung on.
    the next day the sun rose and we couldnt see shore on either side of us. we had no compass and no radio. we had plenty of lake water to drink and 30 blues to eat if we needed to. we drifted for 2 days and finally had to eat. we cooked the blues over our trusty coleman lantern. a little underdone but good when you havnt ate in 2 days. on the 3rd day we spotted shore. it turned out to be silvercreek in new york. we oared over and kissed the sand under our feet.
    it was a scarry exp. but makes a great story.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/09 14:05:04 (permalink)
    YOU WIN!
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/09 15:26:42 (permalink)
    12 foot rowboat, 5-7 ft waves and the fish were still in the boat, the globe on the lantern wasnt broke, the mantles on the lantern werent broke, not to mention no water came over the boat to ruin the lantern or the globes, you were able to light the lantern, the coast guard wasnt out looking for boats or looking for you, and you managed to cook the fish to survive??????
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/06/09 16:11:51
    Stringmaker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/09 16:41:19 (permalink)
    Stream pike if there's any degree of truth to that story you should publish that!  Wow what a good story.  I couldn't even imagine that lol.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/10 00:20:14 (permalink)
    Nor I.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Deadliest Catch....Fisherie style 2007/06/10 07:12:46 (permalink)
    Guess when you saw the sun rise you had a pretty good compass..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: