Crankbait Advice Needed

Author
Jim R.
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/19 09:27:48 (permalink)

Crankbait Advice Needed

Hello.  I'm looking for advice concerning crankbaits for walleye fishing from shore. 

I've had some success with a Rapala crankbait (original floater model, #11) in a color called "clown" on the Susquehanna River. 

However, Rapala has discontinued this line.   You can find them on ebay, but they're running for a minimum of 8 dollars.  That's a bit salty for my taste.

It's my understanding that I may be able to get "Clown" in a Husky Jerk. 

However - I'm wondering about the X-Rap series.

For anyone who reads this - especially those who use X-Raps - Please tell me about them and give your recommendation as to their suitability for someone fishing from shore, and the technique to be used (straight retrieve, crank and stop, etc.). 

Thanks.

Jim

12 Replies Related Threads

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/19 10:02:13 (permalink)
    I always use the floaters because if you hang up on a rock, you can usually just let slack in the line and it will float out of the snag. I wasn't aware they discontinued the clown color. I used to use it a lot. Try the perch, natural,[silver and black], and chartreuse....worked for me. You can also paint some if you get desperate. I think if you looked around, you could find some of the clown colored ones. Mom and pop bait stores, flea markets, etc.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/19 10:23:33 (permalink)
    I have, use, and love X-raps, but they are NOT going to fish like your F-11s.  They'll be vaguely similar to your husky jerks, but even at that, its not the same.  You can retrieve them any way you like, and from shore, all I can say is dont get too close to your structure, you dont want to break one of these off!  I'll usually get to a new spot and cast out and let it sit for a good 30 seconds.  If the walleye are fiesty, sometimes they'll whack it before the ripples settle.  Then I usually do the first retrieve pretty fast.  On subsequent casts I retrieve slower and slower, and then I'll start to retrieve with a mix of reeling and twitching, with most strikes coming just after a twitch.

I've caught everything from fat LMs to aggressive smallies, to walleye, sauger, perch, and even a few bluegill and shad on X-raps.  I prefer olive green, white, purple/copper, and blue, though I did pick up a red one I found on the cheap.  Next May I'll probably add the new Yellow Perch to my collection after watching a pike follow my white one, only to totally forget it in favor of chasing down a nearby school of perch in the weeds.
    Jim R.
    New Angler
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/19 18:06:07 (permalink)
    rippinlip, can I ask  - Besides clown, what other floater colors have worked for you? 

Cold - Same question.

Testimony:  I'm one of those guys who MIGHT be lucky to get out twice a month; I do not keep large females - I release them to spawn.  If I  catch fish, I will take some home for my wife and kids to enjoy.

Jim
    post edited by Jim R. - 2008/11/19 18:07:37
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/19 22:05:16 (permalink)
    X-Raps are great. They catch bass, walleye, pike, musky and many others. You cant beat the action. They turn almost 180 degrees when you twitch them.

"It's a Sicillian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes..."
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/19 22:49:41 (permalink)
    Jim, my MVP lure this year was a little F-3 in chrome (not the standard silver, but the bright reflective one with the fish scales painted on it.  I lost it once, and that same night went to the store and bought a replacement.  I've caught bluegill, crappie, SM, LM, trout, walleye, and even had an out-of-character channel cat on the hooks of that F-3.  Other than that, I've had good luck with the new bleeding pearl color, as well as olive green in X-rap.

I've honestly stayed away from clown, as it just looked too fake to me.  If I see it now, I'll have to try it out. 

My one fishing buddy kills em on X-raps and large Fs in Perch, white, blue, and Pike.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/20 09:22:40 (permalink)
    Silver and black,Chartreuse,gold and black,perch, sometimes I try the double jointed ones. Yo-Zuris are good too, in silver and white and purple and white.Another trick we used to use on the Rapalas was to drill and put a few small bb in them.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/20 10:36:12 (permalink)
    raps and yozuri crystal minnows are may favs.  the yozuris cast a mile.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/20 12:41:49 (permalink)
    my favorite is a rapala, size 11 () in silver or chrome, but size 9 and 7s have done well by me in the past. 

Jim R.
    New Angler
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/21 10:45:12 (permalink)
    Guys, thanks for the responses so far - I really appreciate it. 

Cold - I think I know the one Rapala you're referring to.  I might even have one or two of them.  I guess I still have a lot to learn about these things, though - It's probably an embarrassment to admit to this, but I don't use an F-3 very much outside of late spring through early fall.  Guess I'm being too narrow-minded.  I don't think I've seen that "new bleeding pearl color" you mentioned.  Maybe they'll have one at the store to look at.

rippinlip and Riz - any particular sizes you favor in those Yo-Zuris?

In terms of the X-Raps, are there any particular sizes I should focus on more than others? 

Jim
    post edited by Jim R. - 2008/11/21 10:52:52
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/21 10:47:47 (permalink)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/21 11:21:07 (permalink)
    I fish standard XR-8s mostly.  I do most of my crankbait fishing from shore (about 65%), so I had little use for a deep diver.  Now that I'm looking to get a kayak, though, that will change.  I also want to get one of those subsurface ones...should drive the LM crazy on a muggy summer evening.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Crankbait Advice Needed 2008/11/22 12:06:58 (permalink)
    jim, i should mention, that when the original minnow-shaped raps don't work, we switch to shallow running shadraps, size 5, in chartreuse or silver or even shad color.  cranked slowly, there are days when this was just the ticket.

Jump to: