How to rig trout beads??

Author
Wifeguide
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/16 09:54:53 (permalink)

How to rig trout beads??

A kind gentleman gave my wife some trout beads on Elk on Nov 1st and I ordered some that night.   He said to loop the tippet through 4 times and put a bare hook 2 inches below.  Is the bare hook legit in Pa?  is this the best way to rig them?  Does anyone use more than one bead?

10 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 10:00:39 (permalink)
    You are correct, and yes, the bare hook is ok.

I have used them in the past and the fish that have fallen for them were all hooked inside the mouth. They seem like they take them in deep enough to actually hook themselves inside the mouth...

The only down fall with them is the fish seem to take the hook too deep and are hooked in the throat more often than not.

Here is a little warning on trout beads though....
    When you start using the really small tippett than make sure your beads aren't nicked or stratched. If they are you will get a lot of break offs! At least in my experiance!
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 10:07:48 (permalink)
    I prefer to heat up the bead with a lighter and 'glue' it to the top of the hook shank.

If you still want to fish them above the hook, you can also peg them with a toothpick.

Thanks
    Rick
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 10:19:47 (permalink)

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 10:24:38 (permalink)
    I've used them with good success.
    My rigging was simple.
    I simply slip the line thru the bead and tie on a small hook.

as long as the bead hole is small enough that it doesn't slip past the hook eye, you're good to go.

I don't fish beads a lot anymore, I experimented with them quite a bit a few years ago one season.
    Of the fish landed, all were hooked inside the mouth.
    I don't recall any hooks being excessively deep in the mouth or in the throat.

it would stand to reason if you pegged them higher above the hook (or looped as the duud suggested) you'd hook more fish outside the mouth/lip.
    To "me" that would still be a fair hooked fish though
    Others might disagree.

I've also read here concerning beads, that some states restrict how far up the bead can be pegged.
    As I understand it, that restriction was to reduce the chance of wild C&R only fish from being hooked in the eye socket after biting the bead

..L.T.A.
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 12:25:05 (permalink)
    I have just started using them also. I peg mine with a toothpick about 2 inches above a bare hook and fish it under a float.

DAS BOOT!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 17:20:29 (permalink)
    The way I used trout beads was to thread the leader through the bead and tie on a small hook.  I would then put a small split shot about 8 to 10 inches up the leader.  The bead was free to slide up and down the leader from the hook to the split shot.  This set up is easy and works OK.  Another way I have used trout beads is to afix them to a small hook.  I put a short piece of monofilament through the bead and use the tag ends to tie onto the hook.  This basically looks like a single egg on the hook and has worked very well.

pax vobiscum +
    Wifeguide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 21:29:06 (permalink)
    Thank you all-I'll try them in the snow tomorrow if we can get to the streams on Monday
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/16 22:45:49 (permalink)
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/17 19:08:41 (permalink)
    I haven't really used them a lot myself but I've rigged plenty of peeps up with them in AK. The best way I've found is to pull a rubber t-stop through themand then clip it flush with your nippers. You can slide it around all day and it always stays where you put it. Personally, I prefer moe eggs.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: How to rig trout beads?? 2008/11/18 09:04:04 (permalink)
    I agree with Cast by fly, I just heat up the hook and press it into the bead, making a moe egg. You can make egg clusters this way also. Heat the bead just till it starts to burn, then press another bead onto it and repeat. Soon you will have a gob of eggs. I tie on some white egg yarn as milt on the top then coat the whole glob with super glue and brush it all over. When it dries it helps hold them together and adds a milky white appeareance to the cluster as well. If I run out of real egg sacks I'll tie on one of these.
    Jump to: