Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/16 01:08:32 (permalink)

Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler

I recall in the "old days" of this board the premise by some that the duud who fished with flyrod was more "evolved"

I always got a chuckle out of that one

anyone still here willing to admit they're more evolved because of stick they have in their hand?

..L.T.A.

56 Replies Related Threads

strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 02:26:24 (permalink)
    I dont know if evolved is the right word. Theres plenty of good bait men that a flyfisherman should tip his hat to.

But all in all. If everone carried a fly rod on the Erie tribs there would be a lot less trouble. I am not saying flyfisherman are supreme. But something, somehow, made them pick up the fly rod. Maybe after all they did evolve. Theres not a doubt in my mind. That flyfisherman have a greater understanding and respect for nature, and its ways. Then Mr Joe Bobber.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 05:42:45 (permalink)
    Genie,

I'll still stand by my prior arguments that each angler goes through their own evolution of tastes and preferences. Evolution doesn't mean that one is better than another, evolution just means change. Personally, I started as a bass guy, then moved to trout with a spinning rod, into fly rod, used a pin, and then went back to bait for a while. None were better than the other or more classy. It is an evolution though.

Thanks
    Rick
    bluehalo
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 07:01:57 (permalink)
    It was an evolution for me.
    At 6 yrs old I started with a baitcaster. Around 12 yrs old I picked up a spinning rod which I ended up using for decades. After awhile it just seemed I could hit a dime at 30 yds and fishing lost its lustre for me. It almost became mechanical and I actually didnt fish for yrs after it was my no. 1 hobby my whole life.
    6 yrs ago a friend got me into flyfishing after I only played around with them as a kid, and once again I just cant stay off the streams. My desire is stronger than ever and the only bad thing about it is how fast the time goes when I'm on the water.
     Dont get me wrong, the "River runs through it" crowd and the guys that get flyrods just to be able to fish the regs sections aggitate me as much as anyone.
    And come middle of the winter when the fish are extremely tight lipped and not moving, every once in awhile you might see a minnow on my fly line.
    Pizzapro
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 07:18:02 (permalink)
    I prefer to use the right tool for the job. The flyrod 90% of the time is what seems best for Steelheading around Erie. Good anglers have mastered both fly and spinning rods . I would never give up my buzzbait in the summertime for my flyrod too much of a rush when they come chasing those things down !
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 08:39:45 (permalink)
    thanks all
    (BTW, haven't seen you here in awhile until lately, Casts. Good to have you back "in the boat' with us!)

so if an angler is skilled in techniques with ALL the "tools", (I see it like you, Pizzapro) then "that" angler would be most "evolved", no?

and Blue,  you touched on another "oldie but goodie" debate by eluding to which type angler is a better steward of the resource.

That one tickles me too

..L.T.A.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 08:47:14 (permalink)
    To each their own I always say. No matter how you fish or what tackle your fishing with it does not matter to me as long as you are out there fishing and having a good time. Some days are better than others. I fish with flyrod and spinning gear it all depends on the conditions for me and which gear im going to use today. For low clear conditions and when the fish are pooled up i use my noodle rod with light tackle and very small presentations. For faster water and more colored waters i use my fly rod and a huge variety of flys to figure out whats best for that day. Somedays ill change flys 5,6 or even 7,8 different times to see what works best. Its what works for me. Anyways good fishing to everyone no matter how you fish it.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 08:53:02 (permalink)
    I like pizzapros' response. Use the right tool for the job....That's a sign of an evolved fisherman. Someone who can effectively use all the tools in the bag. I'm pretty sure this thread will "evolve" as well. Should b entertaining!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 08:55:47 (permalink)
    Larry, doe's switching from fly reel to spinning reel on your fly rod make you overly envolved, then that be me. 

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 09:20:31 (permalink)
    Is this the reel life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide
    No escape from reality
    Open your eyes
    Look up to the skies and see
    I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
    Because I'm easy come, easy go
    A little high,  little low
    Anyway the stream flows, doesn't reelly matter to me, to me

Anyway you can be out enjoying Gods great creations is the best way !! And I would rather have my children tying some line on the end of a stick trying to catch fish than bloating away in front of the tube and playing those messed up video games !!!
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 09:22:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: creel

Larry, doe's switching from fly reel to spinning reel on your fly rod make you overly envolved, ...... 

no John

You have to fish like "me"
    anyone who doesn't fish like me, is not evolved and is just a knuckle dragging creek chimp....

..L.T.A.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 09:28:57 (permalink)
    IMO, its not which tool to catch these fish is best, but which tool is best suited for each individual and how well he/she has mastered using it and evidence shown through his/her fish catching success.  However, I feel that the overall measure of an "angler" is how well he/she has mastered a consistency of catching various species of fish, not just one.  It has less to do with the equipment he/she uses, because a great angler will find a way to catch fish on a snoopy rod.  In essence, rigging (the business end) is key first.  Don't get me wrong, great anglers typically surround themselves with great equipment and great people just because they are typically smart that way! 

Finally, one of the final and key elements in the evolution of the seasoned angler, IMHO, is the moment, he/she realizes that he doesn't know it ALL and can learn something new everytime a new outing on the water occurs and anytime he meets other seasoned anglers with varying techniques and ideas.  AND actually be-friends them!  He realizes that its not the fancy equipment and expensive garb he wears that makes him so great, but rather respect, appreciation, friendships and knowledge he has acquirred through his passion.  This is the true measure of an angler!!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/11/16 09:42:00

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 09:30:51 (permalink)
    This is how I rate the steelhead anglers I see. From lowest forms to the top notch.

8.  The noodlerodders at the extreme low ends of the creeks sitting on lawn chairs. Thats the lowest form. These guys have some knowledge but dont care to use it.

7.  Spoon chuckers.  The strikes are great but alot of guys are just trying to snag with them. If it wasnt for them they would be higher on my list.

6.  The rest of the noodlerod crew. From the ones with the red and white bobbers to those that have actually graduated to clear floats.

4. Pinners.  Are next on the list they still suck, but they are better than the previous.

3. Fly guys. From the hip boot 5wt guy up to Mr Orvis they are almost cream of the crop.

2. People who swing flies. These are the best anglers out there for all the right reasons. They go out there knowing that they are not going to catch as many fish as the next. But are ok with it because we are only looking for that one grab. They have utmost respect for the fish because they are targeting them in the sportiest of ways. They dont kill fish to catch fish. They dont line fish. They dont litter, no spawn netting or mini foo wrappers at thier feet. No birds nest of mono tossed into the bushes. No drink bottles thrown on the ground either. We by far are the classiest out there except for one.

1. The guy who works all week long but takes time to take his kid out on Sat or Sun. Even though he is dead tired, he still goes to spend time with his son/daughter.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 09:40:23 (permalink)
    My dad had a flyrod in my hands by age 5.  Didn't own a spin/bait pole until I was at least 13 or 14 years old. 

I fish what is most effective for me during the current conditions.  After reading a post above I see everyone has a different opinion on what is right for certain conditions.

Fly rods were made to present light presentations to fish, so when the water is warmer in the fall and the water is lower, that's when I fly fish.  When it's high and cold, I spin fish.  When it's time to bobber fish, my spin rod comes out and the fly rod stays in the car. 

When it's frigid cold out, I spin fish.  I really don't care what others fish with, but I do have to question why anyone fishes a fly rod when it's so cold that lines are freezing up. More often than not they are bobber fishing anyway. You can do the same thing with the spin rod, once you learn how you can do it more effectively, and your hands will stay much warmer.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:00:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

My dad had a flyrod in my hands by age 5.  Didn't own a spin/bait pole until I was at least 13 or 14 years old. 

I fish what is most effective for me during the current conditions.  After reading a post above I see everyone has a different opinion on what is right for certain conditions.

Fly rods were made to present light presentations to fish, so when the water is warmer in the fall and the water is lower, that's when I fly fish.  When it's high and cold, I spin fish.  When it's time to bobber fish, my spin rod comes out and the fly rod stays in the car. 

When it's frigid cold out, I spin fish.  I really don't care what others fish with, but I do have to question why anyone fishes a fly rod when it's so cold that lines are freezing up. More often than not they are bobber fishing anyway. You can do the same thing with the spin rod, once you learn how you can do it more effectively, and your hands will stay much warmer.

Dear Dr Hoover.

I regret to inform you, that no matter how skilled you are, and regardless of how many fish you make bite...
     with any chosen rod you have in your hand...
     or lure, bait or fly tied to the end of your line...

due to your proximity to pHickzburgh, you can never be considered "evolved".
    Unfortunately , you will always be looked down on as subjects  to be scoffed at and made fun of by us flatlanders.

if you re-locate to an area  north of Meadville, we can reevaluate your status in a few years.
    Be advised though..... many of us are of the opinion that you can take the knuckle dragging oaf out of pHickzburgh, but can't take the pHickzburgh out of the oaf.

..L.T.A.

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:06:36 (permalink)
    LMAO

I forgot all about Dr. Hooversucker

post edited by Stillhead - 2008/11/16 10:07:39
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:10:14 (permalink)
    Hmm Swinger, sounds like your judging PEOPLE by how they fish. That's the least EVOLVED thinking in this entire thread. Let me guess, you like to swing flies? Usually those who judge and scour at others are the first to prop themselves up as a prophet. You should start a cult.

I once used a bass pole for steelhead and I use a noodle rod for the last 6 years. I am able to toss spoons and spinners in the lake, jig and throw flatfish in the creeks (two lures on my rod 90 percent of the time), and drift skein, single eggs, and flies including nymphs with precision.

I enjoy being able to utilize many methods and think that any other way would limit what I can use in a given situation.

That's just me and how I fish.

Anyone who chooses to lawnchair it with a Wal-mart special, fly fish with a Sage and Simms waders, drift bait all day with a bass rod, drift bait all day with pretty floats and centerpin reels made of aircraft aluminum, or toss in some powerbait with a snoopy rod.....is A OK in my book. They may actually just like the way they are fishing and could care less about evoving into anything else.

Swinger, you ever think that the guy in your number 1 type of angler could be any of your other "types" of anglers?

You are spewing verbal diarrhea about how guys cast and what they are casting, when all you are casting is stones. I can only imagine what you think of people when you walk by them on the street if this is what you think about your peer group on the streams.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:22:48 (permalink)
    I prefer the flyrod,but will use the spin outfit if conditions warrant it.What's more important than what equipment you have in your hand is what equipment you have in your head.Show your fellow angler courtesy,if you carry it in carry it out and then some,respect the fish and its environment,and smile,enjoy the moment,life is short!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:28:26 (permalink)

Stillhead, I'm one of those guy you will see this winter with a fly rod. I also was given a fly rod at a young age and never put it down. The type of fishing we do I never really got to get any good with anything else. I will use one on every creek because that is what I feel comfortable with not saying its the best. I bought a noodle rod and hope I get to learn how to use it well but to be honest it might never come out of the car. I do belive there is a time spin fishing is a better approach but no matter what I say before I seem to reach for the fly rod. I'm not saying there is a fly at the end of it at all times.

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:31:44 (permalink)
    It really does not matter who is more "evolved". Like pafisher stated what's important is what is in their minds while out on the stream. Courtesy, landowner respect, putting a garbage bag in the back of their vest so they can carry out some trash when they see it, taking a kid fishing along with you, respect in the fishery, - these are all what makes a top notch fisherman along the stream. Over thanksgiving, I'm going to wake my 20 yr. old son up at 2 in the morning, drive 7 hours to get to Elk, and fish for five days - just him and myself spending some time together - no talk about work, college, or whatever. Does that make me a top notch "evolved angler"? No - just someone who enjoys living life anong ElK Creek and sharing some quality time. Fly Rod, Spin Rod, Pinners, spoon chuckers - who really cares if they have it in their minds to take care of the fishery!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:39:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steely34

It really does not matter who is more "evolved". Like pafisher stated what's important is what is in their minds while out on the stream. Courtesy, landowner respect, putting a garbage bag in the back of their vest so they can carry out some trash when they see it, taking a kid fishing along with you, respect in the fishery, - these are all what makes a top notch fisherman along the stream. Over thanksgiving, I'm going to wake my 20 yr. old son up at 2 in the morning, drive 7 hours to get to Elk, and fish for five days - just him and myself spending some time together - no talk about work, college, or whatever. Does that make me a top notch "evolved angler"? No - just someone who enjoys living life anong ElK Creek and sharing some quality time. Fly Rod, Spin Rod, Pinners, spoon chuckers - who really cares if they have it in their minds to take care of the fishery!
      While it might not make you a top notch Angler it does make you a Top Notch DAD             

whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:43:08 (permalink)
    I agree with Stillhead. The right tool for the right job. 
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 10:57:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

I will use one on every creek because that is what I feel comfortable with not saying its the best.

IMO, the "best" rod is the rod "you" like fishing with "best"

..............................................................................

think i whack a real hornet's nest next.
    new thread coming...stay tuned

..L.T.A.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 11:18:40 (permalink)
    I've developed two buttholes since I started fly fishing. Is my body trying to tell me something?

I also got a couple of vestigial thumbs if anybody is interested. 50 bucks takes all.

washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 11:27:12 (permalink)
    I think the Angler who is the most evolved is the Angler who spends his years of fishing learning, listening, observing,and experimenting with all aspects of fishing while enjoying every moment of his outings on the water. Understanding why he chose what type of outfit and presentation to match suit with the fisherie he will be enjoying. While fine tuning his skills in all areas along the way. The guy who shares his findings and knowledge with those eager to learn, and knowing buy doing so they too will be able to understand, enjoy and appreciate this peaceful place I escape to that we call fishing.   
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 11:34:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Skip
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 11:42:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joebaker79

You are spewing verbal diarrhea

Yes you are exactly correct

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 12:20:35 (permalink)
    I have fished a spinning reel all my life until the last 5 years. I have never had as much enjoyment from fishing as I do with a fly rod. Anyone can chuck bait and catch fish but when you also tie your own flies and know you can fool a trout on something you made, to me it is much more rewarding.

DAS BOOT!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 12:40:25 (permalink)
    To me the most "evolved" angler, is the one who has little concern over what other anglers on the stream are doing, and even less about THEIR place on the "evolutionary scale". Because he is to atuned to his own line, whatever it may be attached to.

I too often wonder about those who seem to use the SAME setup, the SAME baits, rigged the SAME way wether they are fishing a lake, high & stained, or low & clear. But MAYBE watching a bobber, or taking to their stream mates while their bait remains anchored to the bottom, the most contentful thing in their lives, and all they want out of fishing. Perhaps THEY have "evolved" to the point where fishing is FISHING. Not a science, not a challenge, not a competition, just fishing. They may enjoy it more than all of us, regardless of how expensive our gear, or how many fish we catch. Maybe THEY get it, and we don't.

I notice, and sometimes wonder.So I'm not fully evolved, bit I'm content to let them be content. So I'm getting there, I hope.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Oldie but goodie...the more evolved angler 2008/11/16 15:42:45 (permalink)
    Evolved tends to imply a direction toward a simple state to a more complex state.  Also the implication is that the more complex is preferable.  When it comes to fishing, I don't think these concepts really apply.

I know that over the years of fishing for steelies I have developed different fishing techniques and purchased a small tackle shop's worth of fishing tackle and gear.  What I have discovered is that I enjoy fishing for steelies with my spinning gear, centerpin gear, conventional fly rods, spey rods and hopefully with my new two handed surf fly rod.  As I have spend time on the streams, at the tying desk and talking with others, I have learned a great deal and find I still enjoy fishing as much as I have every have.  Now I have more choices of gear, flies and baits.

When it comes to my first choice for steelies  most days I reach for one of my fly rods, but for a change of pace, I will grab either my centerpin set up or noodle rod and spinning reel.  What I choose to fish with is what my mood calls for that day.  That is the benefit of being comfortable with a number of different fishing gear and techniques.

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: