Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning)

Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/13 10:05:35 (permalink)

Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning)

Hey folks,
It has been awile since we have seen any pictures posted.  I like to share success and enjoy the success of other fisherman.   Recently a fishing buddy, my 13 yr old son, and myself enjoyed a chilly, late afternoon fishing trip to Glendale.  One of our primary goals was to scout the waterfowl situation for this Saturday's second opener.  We were not at all disappointed with what we saw!  Plenty of ducks for the second season.  The second part of the mission was to catch some filletable perch and maybe try to find some of the Northern Pike that we had heard tale of which were supposed to be eagerly feeding recently.  We worked the weed edges at the top of the lake with little success.  I was fortunate enough to have a big cooler full of nice, seined minnows available from last weekend.  Long story short, we covered some of the most famous structure on the lake and found schooled perch.  While we did catch a half dozen, none were worthy of the knife.  The surface temp of the water is 47degrees.  Judging by the way the perch were "washed out" in color, the deeper water is even cooler.  I marked some suspended fish which I assumed were crappie.  I told my buddy to take my medium rod, one strung with older 6lb that had a tru-turn and encouraged him to catch a suspended fish so that we could see what we were on top of.  He set the hook on the lighter rod and announced that he had a bigger fish than a crappie.  I assumed that it may be a bigger bass.  The drag on the reel had not been touched since I had it set on "walleye" earlier this summer so my buddy was free spoolin and back reelin' to get a look at what he had hooked. . .here it is:

The "gentleman" in the above posted picture is a constant lurker here on this forum.  If you guys help me out by calling him some insulting names. . .we could call him out and MAKE him post a response at least!  A good thing to rip on him about would be to ask him how the pictured pike was prepared for a "throw down" LOL!  I am not sure who won that battle! 

About a half an hour later I lost another legal pike at the back of the boat when it threw the minnow and jighead from its jaws!

My son got in on the action right at dark as we were in a cove scouting the night flight of ducks and geese.  He caught a pike that was just his size.  That is to say that on the 6lb. line with no leader, this was a good first pike for him!:

All in all, I was the ONLY guy who did not land a pike.  Largely it was my own fault.  Now I am torn, should I go hunt ducks and geese or should I seek out more "wolves"?

Tight Lines,

Brent

post edited by earlysecond - 2008/11/13 10:12:02

7 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2008/11/13 16:28:35 (permalink)
    Interesting thought!  Go fishing but keep a loaded gun in the boat.  Geese learn to ignore fishermen but will get really skittish when they see someone with camouflage.  So fish and keep watching the skies.  There's got to be some overconfident geese out there.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2008/11/13 17:12:07 (permalink)
    indisguiz,

my son, pictured above, now wants to go duck hunting this weekend. . .funny thing is he has an alterior motive as he asked if he could bring his fishing rod and some minnows "in case" he gets bored while watching the hunt!  LOL! Pretty smart tact for a young guy itchin to get back on the big fish.

It will be a challenge to decide.  I may be able to take the boy out tomm when it is not raining and the whether is a bit more pleasant THEN go saturday and hunt.

Brent
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2008/11/14 09:34:22 (permalink)
    early,
         When I lived in Central Pa I used to go duck/fishing often.  I actually had ducks and geese fly over camouflaged blinds and then drift right in in front of my boat.  I think they learn to distinguish the subtle movements of a hunter and that scares them off, and since they haven't learned to be afraid of fishermen they just glide right over.
          I did the same thng with a deer a few years ago.  This buck lived in the sink holes around my friends farm.  If you approached him on a tractor or piece of machinery he would just watch you and then go back to feeding.  BUT if you came out just walking and carrying anything, gun, hoe, digging bar, he was into the next county.  So I put my rifle on the hay wagon and drove the tractor out to the field where he was and when I got close I stopped the tractor, got off, got my gun and . . . Venison!
         I have floated the susky in a canoe up by Grassflat and Moshannon for deer also, back in my MUCH Younger days.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2008/11/15 14:44:58 (permalink)
    Early, looks like you, your son, and the unknown fisherman had a good day......
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2008/11/16 18:22:55 (permalink)
    Dudes- that's awesome. I don't live up that way anymore, but I remember Glendale. Thanks & keep it coming!

Lyrical
    wircho@verizon.net
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2010/11/07 13:15:45 (permalink)
    Does anyone have any info on largemouth in Raystown this time of year? Thanks.

Alphabet
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Water Wolves at Glendale (w/pics 56k warning) 2010/11/13 23:59:54 (permalink)
    hey brent nice story and fish salmoo trutta i live out this way now maybe we could hook up and fish my fav salmon river lol lol glendale no longer the dead sea lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
    Jump to: