Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/12 16:19:35 (permalink)

Spoiled?

One of the descriptions sometimes used of the Erie steelhead fishery is that "it's like fishing in a bath tub."    I remember when they used to bring what looked like a big plastic pool filled with trout to the Monroeville mall to give people a chance to fish (at a fee, of course), and I can see the similarities (except those trout were much smaller!)

So here are my questions.  Is the analogy of "troubt in a bath tub" fair?  Do you think fishing in Erie for steelhead spoils you?

31 Replies Related Threads

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 16:32:37 (permalink)
    Spoils you for what? Other types of trout fishing, no! Fishing for pellet heads is a completely different game with different tackle. And everyone does not catch a bunch of fish every time they visit the tribs - some people catch nothing.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 16:40:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wishfishin

So here are my questions.  Is the analogy of "troubt in a bath tub" fair?  Do you think fishing in Erie for steelhead spoils you?

yes, to both questions

Ever seen the Stop Sign hole at Da 'Nut?
    (or all of the project holes for that matter)
    if that doesn't qualify as "fishing in a bath tub", i don't know what does.

example;
    late Sept at a project hole on Da 'Nut

here's their quarry that day

The cricks in Pa are so small and shallow, that nearly any spot fish  hang is "fishing in a tub" when low and clear

and yes, the obnoxious amount stocked in Pa tribs has spoiled most.

..L.T.A.

PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 16:46:03 (permalink)
    Erie does spoil you... The fishing is amazing there and it is worth elbow to elbow fishing.  Regular trout not so much, They are all 8 inches and you only caught 10 -20. No fight to them.  And they are fished out in two days where I live. If it wasn't for Erie i probably wouldn't get a fishing License. SO KUDOS TO YOU ERIE!!!!! I LOVE STEELIE FISHING!!!!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 16:58:56 (permalink)

My bath tub is alot warmer!!!

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 17:19:15 (permalink)
    Those days when you feel like you just can't keep the fish off your offerings certainly make you feel spoiled. However, the days when you know there are tons of fish right there out in front of you and it takes all you have to figure out how to catch just a few, are the days that humble you.  It happens to the best of fishermen, even though many may have a hard time admitting to it.  Last weekend was a perfect example....70* Friday and Saturday and Sunday in the mid to high 30s with howling winds and rain.  Fishing got tough and the cold front shut most of the fish down.  It was tough, but we managed to catch some fish.  Imagine fishing places where 2 fish days are considered stellar, but where the quality of the fish are in question.  As far as being a "bath tub"...fishing is fishing and who justifies what bodies of water are better to fish than others concerning the way the water fishes?  Considering ourselves fortunate instead of spoiled is the way I prefer to look at it.  The only difference for me would be the fish themselves....our fish are muts, manufactured fish if you will.  But thats OK with me even though I wouldn't mind trying to catch some natural strains of steel in other parts of the world!  This has all become a recent passion of mine, a reward if you will of all the time I have put in chasing those toothy critters with limited results and knowing theres not much I can do about it other than just putting in my time and experiences...Hey, I'm good with ALL of this though.  Especially after many years of chasing muskies, working my****off year after year, just to catch 50 some fish a year on average!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/11/12 17:22:38

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 17:20:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

There is a lot of water to be fished other than the access and the stop sign hole. I fished a section of stream on Tuesday that had nary a person and lots of fast water and intricate drifts and lies. It is highly rewarding to make a good fly cast into a tight area to get a perfect drift presentation that results in a "ghost". I call those fish ghosts because most people dont believe they exist. Rather they gravitate to areas where fish are stacked and then fish over them until they eventually hook up. Who can blame them, there are fish there. The most rewarding is when you "read" a current seam and take the time to fish it properly. For instance changing to a heavier tippet if cover is present that could break you off, picking a better fly choice for a given section, weighting properly for the depth and current speed. People get spoiled a bit by standing over the same fish, the same drift. using the same leader length, standing in the same spot and the only factor is "what will they take".That is the end of the thought process When the crowd clears and the real fishing starts you can break free from that "bath tub" mentality and enjoy steelheading for the sport fish that they are. Nothing beats hooking a "ghost" in the winter time on a quiet section of stream, in a winter flow where only instinct and hope tell you there maybe fish, then on any given drift, a hook set, the "sploosh sploosh" of a head shake breaking the surface followed by a spirited debate with a great fish. Many people will never catch a "ghost" but they will catch dozens of fish at the elk access...Yes, they are the same species but they  are totally different fish and as for fisherman there are those that fish and then there are anglers. The "spoiling"is up to you.

can you explain that again with pictures???

edit... is that being spoiled?
    post edited by KJH807 - 2008/11/12 17:23:53
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 17:42:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anadromous

There is a lot of water to be fished other than the access and the stop sign hole. I fished a section of stream on Tuesday that had nary a person and lots of fast water and intricate drifts and lies. It is highly rewarding to make a good fly cast into a tight area to get a perfect drift presentation that results in a "ghost". I call those fish ghosts because most people dont believe they exist. Rather they gravitate to areas where fish are stacked and then fish over them until they eventually hook up. Who can blame them, there are fish there. The most rewarding is when you "read" a current seam and take the time to fish it properly. For instance changing to a heavier tippet if cover is present that could break you off, picking a better fly choice for a given section, weighting properly for the depth and current speed. People get spoiled a bit by standing over the same fish, the same drift. using the same leader length, standing in the same spot and the only factor is "what will they take".That is the end of the thought process When the crowd clears and the real fishing starts you can break free from that "bath tub" mentality and enjoy steelheading for the sport fish that they are. Nothing beats hooking a "ghost" in the winter time on a quiet section of stream, in a winter flow where only instinct and hope tell you there maybe fish, then on any given drift, a hook set, the "sploosh sploosh" of a head shake breaking the surface followed by a spirited debate with a great fish. Many people will never catch a "ghost" but they will catch dozens of fish at the elk access...Yes, they are the same species but they  are totally different fish and as for fisherman there are those that fish and then there are anglers. The "spoiling"is up to you.

So true. Well said, anadromous!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 17:49:17 (permalink)
    no it was just a lot of words with out visual representations
    genie was nice enough to make with the shots

you said the "spoiling was up to me"

people don't think there is varriations to fishing for steelbows
    egg patterns and skein... dem steelie only eat them eggs

i think the people who have the "spoiled" feeling are only there to catch fish
    no care for surrounds and technique

the "battub" thing is because these fish have nowhere to go...
    the drainage is no more than 10miles... so the water is usually low and the geo lends to clear water
    the fish get stuck and people see them
    the fish can't go anywhere due to low water
    there are parking lots next to these holes

PFBC is publicizing it all like a bad used car salesman (not a digg at car salesmen)

i think we are going to need a bigger boat...
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 17:56:59 (permalink)
    I fish Erie all year long for everything. I fish for bass, perch, pike, walleye, carp, cats, and yes...steelhead. I don't feel spoiled by the steelhead. When I get into a hole of hungry steel, I feel like I have won the bonus prize, not spoiled. However......I have always found my own fish (all species) long b4 online fishing reports. Now days you can just log on, then hit your hole. Maybe that's a bit spoiled. Convienent and fun....but spoiled.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 18:13:14 (permalink)
    Only thing that I feel spoiled about is being able to go and hook up with 30-40 fish a day. I've fishedf or them on the West Coast and in AK (years before I ever fished any Great Lakes trib) and let me tell you, out there, where the fish have 100s of miles of river to run, 3-4 fish days are spectacular and any more would be considered being spoiled. You'll never hear a report of 30+ hookups out there and guys don't sight fish the holes next to parking areas because there usually isn't any fish there. Walking, sometimes upwards of 5 miles and working lotsa water are the keys out there while the key to Erie is park, walk down and cast. Chances are theres 40 or 50 sitting in that hole.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 19:29:48 (permalink)
    Erie Steelhead is about the catching more so than the fishing.  You can certainly make a challenge of it "finding" fish but the more interesting aspect to most anglers who go is catching them and fighting them-- sometimes missing them and losing them is fun too. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 20:44:16 (permalink)
    I'm with Mr. Slick....I also fish Erie for most all that it has to offer as well.  All year long there is something to be caught, something to be fished for.  I'll admit Anadromous, when I go to catch steel in the streams, I go to catch 'em up...the more the merrier for me.  I'm really not there looking for that perfect stretch of water or the serenity (if you can truely find it) I'm there to hook up dude, so I go where I know my chances are best and I get it done!  To each his own, I guess, and I never knock others' preferences as long as he/she finds enjoyment in doing so.  I can say this, to those who only steelhead fish the streams, of all the species all year long, the steel in the streams are the easiest.

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 20:58:47 (permalink)
    I dont think it is being spoiled , i think its being fortunate enough to have such a great fishery here in erie. No matter what species of fish you are after. I personally like the experience of just getting out there and fish. Whether it be by myself and the piece and quiet you can actually find out there or with a friend who you can talk fishin stories with while you are fishin. If I happen to hook up 1 time then im happy and everything after that is just a bonus. If I dont hook up at all then i was glad to have the chance to try. Thats fishin in my opinion. There are alot of people out there who help to keep the fishin as good as possible here and i thank you for it whom ever you may be.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 20:58:50 (permalink)
    Erie serenity!

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 21:07:34 (permalink)
    Erie steel is a joke. To many fish for a small amount of water. Just wait till the browns start coming as well, oh boy. Nothing like a man made fishery. "Put in whatever you want we'll smoke it"

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 21:33:01 (permalink)
    awwww come on swinger lighten up dude....you know its still so much more fun!!  Could you imagine if the muskie fishing was this much fun and and they were as easy to come by?  I know one place where they come pretty easy  

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 21:39:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

awwww come on swinger lighten up dude....you know its still so much more fun!!  Could you imagine if the muskie fishing was this much fun and and they were as easy to come by?  I know one place where they come pretty easy  

Just one easy spot for muskies? thats it I know of at least 3 easy spots for muskies...lol...but yes muskies under normal circumstances are not an easy fish to come by. And yes I am so spoiled all I have to do is say here fishey fishey and they swim to my feet.....lol
    post edited by egg sac - 2008/11/12 21:40:54

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 22:33:44 (permalink)
    It can be spoiling, due to the availability of soo many fish.  But, as anadromous said, it doesn't have to be that way.  There are many waters besides the "easy" spots, where you do have to incorporate more typical trout techniques, patience, trust and strategy. 
    In the end, it is a man made fishery in many ways, so that taints it a bit for me, but I wouldn't say I get spolied by Erie fishing.   

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/12 22:58:30 (permalink)
    Probably deeper too.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 00:53:33 (permalink)
    Erie is a Steelhead Fantasyland!However there are days when I played with 60+ fish ,then there are a few days that I played with none.The only negative to Erie streams is that they are small and the fight is hindered somewhat.If you want to feel what a Steely can do visit the SR or Oswego river in NY,there they have water to use against you and really put on a show.If you go  to NY 10 fish a day is a fantastic day.I live 6.5 hrs from Erie and 4.5 hrs from the SR,I'll be in Erie next week hopefully spoiling myself.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 01:15:44 (permalink)
    i do not see pools like that you must be at low tide .
    yes a lot of fish but you still have to catch them ,and you just dont plug them with a 22 or a bow the warden hates that!!
    and we have had a 15 or more hook up day just 2 guys, last week was 12 release no break offs and one chinn ,
    mercersteelhead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 02:25:27 (permalink)
    I dont know how to fish erie tribs the way you guys do. But my son and i have been up every wed. and sunday for the past 4 weeks and have only landed 2 .We sure would like to find this bath tub full of fish And get spoiled just once,And its not for the lack of not trying, We fish for 8to 10 hours every day we come up  But you know what we have just as much fun and enjoyment as if we hooked 20  And also i have a permanent brace on my leg so we only can fish the spots that are easy to walk to Maybe thats why we cant find this bath tub anywhere?
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 05:01:07 (permalink)
    It's what you make of it. I've had amazing fishing opportunities at such a young age that I've learned to just enjoy every fishing opportunity for what it is. I guide anglers in a few states and fish in a few more and I think every fishery has it's spoiling moments from early season streamer fishing on the Upper D to occasional insane hopper fishing in the Cumberland Valley to absolute craziness in Erie. Spoiled? I've been to Alaska a bunch of times so it takes a lot to spoil me
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 07:59:58 (permalink)
    I pretty much agree with Steelstalker that there are a lot of fisheries that have their spoiling moments.  Find a school of speckled trout in a bay, and you will catch them one after the other for hours on end (not much fight, though).  Find a massive school of reds loaded in an inlet, and you will not be able to keep them off your line for as long as your arm can stand it.  Find big tarpon schooling on the flats, you won't catch double digits--but you want have to.  Two or three big fish will keep you busy pretty much all day.  Fish stripers in the spring--not uncommon to have multiple rods going off at the same time.  Catch a pod of artic char in Labrador holding in a pool just out of the ocean, and the action will be furious and constant (and they are delicious too).  Fish bluegill on the fly out on the Potomac down a little dirt road from my house, and you might take 100+ in an afternoon (and yes, in its own way I find that just as satisfying as fishing for steel). 

So though Erie may well be the "most prolific fishery world class fishery in the world", esp. when it comes to steelhead, I'm not sure it as unique as it first seems.  One thing I do know--it sure is enjoyable.
    bluehalo
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 08:11:29 (permalink)
    What keeps it from "being spoiled" to me is that the trib steelheads arent year round. I can always catch trout from the limestoners down here in scentral pa with the water coming out of the ground in the fifties but as someone else said, the steelhead are a great bonus.
    Also like someone else said, the PFBC is promoting the CRAP out of it and the fishing experiences there will almost certainly decline in quality. Some fellers have told me it already has.
    But for now, I still like it. I get to see my aged stepfather in Meadville while I'm there going after my year-end bonus.
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 08:15:50 (permalink)
    HHMMMM!  I bet my wife wouldn't be too mad if I stocked my bath tub at home.

That would save on gas too.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 19:45:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Honestly PA steel is not very fun to me. The only time I go is when the conditions are right for me. Not many guys out when I come up. Landing 30+ in PA is nothing special or something to be proud of. How many do you stock again?  Muskie fishing is much more fun to me, because you just never know what could happen next.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 19:54:42 (permalink)
    Easy musky fishin, Could it be Authur, Pymy, Wilhelm, Conny, or maybe da three rivers?
    post edited by steelydaze - 2008/11/13 20:07:17

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Spoiled? 2008/11/13 20:39:27 (permalink)
    No,
    We all have good days were thereare lots of fish.

We all have had days when you really have to work to find fish and then try to get them to hit.
    So I think it equals out.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: