dfishnfool's report

Author
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/12 13:37:14 (permalink)

dfishnfool's report

Take with a block of salt- at least his comment on mile creeks.  If we get the rain forecast, which right now doesn't seem likely today, mile creeks
might get some fish. Hasn't been a great season on the east side this year.

28 Replies Related Threads

Pizzapro
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/12 22:03:02 (permalink)
    I have to chime in on the reports as well.I fished Elk and Walnut the last 2 days and there were very few fish at all .I walked all the way up Walnut past 5 and saw 6 fish yesterday that were not holding in the stop sign hole or Manchester tubes at 5.Elk was the same .The reports may be true if you are fishing bait on a drift in the deeper slack water but there are virtually no fish in riffle/run sections the last 2 days.Very odd indeed for time of year water conditions.Not saying reports are embellished but the whole story is not being told. I would hope the weather coming will change all this.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/12 23:46:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pizzapro

I have to chime in on the reports as well.I fished Elk and Walnut the last 2 days and there were very few fish at all .I walked all the way up Walnut past 5 and saw 6 fish yesterday that were not holding in the stop sign hole or Manchester tubes at 5.Elk was the same .The reports may be true if you are fishing bait on a drift in the deeper slack water but there are virtually no fish in riffle/run sections the last 2 days.Very odd indeed for time of year water conditions.Not saying reports are embellished but the whole story is not being told. I would hope the weather coming will change all this.

The fish haven't been in the riffles and runs the last few days because of the cold snow run off. It's been winter conditions, we need a warm up to spread the fish out in the pocket water.
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 03:00:03 (permalink)
    Go with Stillhead's report. As straight a shooter as there is. Thanks again for our two days! Can't wait to do it again, Jimbo!
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 04:46:04 (permalink)
    Thankfully for me there's is a useable USGS gauge on Walnut now and I don't even have to look at the reports now. I can see what the flow is on the Nut and that gives me a good idea of what Elk looks like and the precipitation gauges on Accuweather let me know how much rain precip fell in Harborcreek and it's all good from there. I've been finding fish in fast water through low water conditions and everything else. I learned long ago not to even guess why fish do what they do.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 08:54:37 (permalink)
    Yes there have been "some" fish in the fast water. But the last two days, they have not been there in the numbers you'd expect for the water level we had.  There is no guessing about why that is, it is without a doubt do to the cold snow runoff.  There are still tons of fish in the streams, they are just mostly holed up.

That'll hole'em up everytime

Pizzapro
    New Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 10:47:12 (permalink)
    Stillhead you are right about the shock of water temps. I would not have thought about the downward spike holing them up like that. I did observe sluggish fights from the fish I did catch supporting your theory.The weather ,learning what it does and catching fish that is what makes this fun.I always say the good days would mean nothing without bad days.
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 11:41:07 (permalink)
    I'm still not buying it. I've fished plenty of streams in PA and NY during spring thaw with temps plumetting, water levels changing rapidly and had some of the craziest steelhead action ever. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I think the biggest problems here is that humans feel a need to have a reason for why fish do things and the fish just don't care.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 11:54:07 (permalink)
    how can the temps be plumetting in the spring???
    the streams are locked up at sub freezing for long periods allowing fish to adjust
    the spring warms the water therefore speeding up metabolizm and the need to feed

that graph some temps of 12 C to 1C (thats 53F to 33F)in a matter of days... that shock will shut fish down
    post edited by KJH807 - 2008/11/13 11:55:46
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 12:04:33 (permalink)
    yeah, by spring, the fish have been cold all winter, so the slightest rise in water seems to make them more active.   35 degrees is warm when it's been 33 for a month. 35 is cold when it was 50 the day before.

Were you out fishing around the first of November?  after the first snow melt?  A few new fish moved upstream on the high water, not many, most stayed put. The evening of November 4th, there were thousands moving up through low water. Why?  The water finally started warming up after the cold snow melt, and the fish started moving again.
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 15:30:17 (permalink)
    Temps plummet in spring when it starts to warm up a slightly for a few days and warm the water up a bit and then when the temp suddenly spikes up and starts melting a lot more snow real rapidly it drops again. For instance I was up on the SR back in early April, the temp was about 46 degrees and the water was the same but then then all that Tug Hill snow started melting real quickly and the water temp dropped to about 34 degrees.

Yeah, I was fishing on Nov 1st and I was wailing on fish up and down the stream. Apparently they didn't get your memo.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 15:53:55 (permalink)
    Whether or not you were catching fish wasn't the question. It was where you were catching fish.  If you were truely "wailing" on them, then it wasn't in the fast water, it was in the tails of pools, or the heads of pools with steep ledges at the top.  Unless of course your definition of "wailing" on them is hooking into 25 or 30 fish.  You could have hooked a few like that in the pocket water then, but the holes were much better.

And the fish certainly did get my memo when the water warmed on Monday afternoon. Thousands of them did.The lower mile of Elk was noisy with fish splashing through the shallows.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 15:55:16 (permalink)
    Stillhead can certainly speak for himself (and I expect he will) but I can tell you he was also "wailing on the fish up and down the stream".  He is referring to their behavior (where they were holding, their willingness to move) not their willingness to bite or their location.  I think he got the memo.  ;-)
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 16:54:45 (permalink)
    On Monday (Nov 3), a low front pushed through, but it didn't rain.
    If you watched the weather channel that day, there were showers out over the lake, but
    they dissappeared before coming on shore. I saw it mid afternoon at PR.

Water temperatures also rose from the previous day.

Both of those weather occurrences this time of year will cause the fish to move regardless of whether it rains or not.

I started that morning at Elk access. It was full of fresh silver dumb fish.
    Guys were fishing all the down to the lake. Fish moved in all day long.

That evening, I was up at the legion on Elk.
    Fish were doing their back and forth Hippity Dippity then bam, up through the riffles.
    Even in the low conditions, they wiggled their way up to the next pool.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 18:00:34 (permalink)
    What was the point of this thread?

i forgot after reading all these great trout bytes of info

..L.T.A.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/13 23:42:54 (permalink)
    "What was the point of this thread?"

It started out about Dfishinfool's report, which I thought was a well written thought out report. Thanks Don!
    It then proceeded to everybody else's opinion about the fishing conditions. This is real discussion. I fished the upper portions of a west side stream Wednesday morning. The stream was definitely low for this time of the year. The problem was the water temperature. Normally I don't get cold feet easily, but that morning I could only stand about an hour before I had to move a bit. There were plenty of steelies in the deep pools, but they were very stationary. I caught three. It was tough catching. I now blame it on the sharp drop in stream temps because of the snow melt.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/14 00:05:03 (permalink)
    The only thing I said about the report was that he said the mile streams all had a lot of fish. I fished all the mile streams this week, and several had NO FISH, or very few fish, and all were so low that even catching a fish in them was not very exciting. Even 20 mile had very few fish. I don't
    know what his intent was in putting out bs like this.

The mile creeks may be better after today, since they went from trickles to almost blown out in one day, and may get some fresh fish in. I fished 3 of them today, and they were all high and fast, but not too dark.

FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/14 09:47:02 (permalink)

Steelhead movement occurs based on more than just rain fall.

washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/14 16:20:02 (permalink)
    Report was good and well thought.   Maybe a hint of bring your buisness to Ohio Tribs.   And while he was at it even though were not allowed He  posted his Guide Service address on the reports page. I think his report was more to attract buisness .   And in my opinion you would b Dfishin fool to spend that kinda money for a guide when there are so many people there on the tribs willing to share info. If you approach them right.

Sometimes the best Guide is the guy fishin next to you who's catchin fish.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/14 16:35:04 (permalink)
    Well, we've done the "what is  a steelhead" thread, the chum thread, the "how to hold a fish thread"  (sort of), the multiple "where are the fish" threads--so it's probably about time to do the "do you really need a guide in Erie" thread too...
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/14 16:36:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wishfishin

Well, we've done the "what is  a steelhead" thread, the chum thread, the "how to hold a fish thread"  (sort of), the multiple "where are the fish" threads--so it's probably about time to do the "do you really need a guide in Erie" thread too...

and its not even thanksgiving!
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 12:02:46 (permalink)
    It was on in the fast water yesterday. Water temp upper 40's to 50.  Hardly a fish left in the slow water.  Hard not to catch them in the fast stuff.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 12:51:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: washdog

Report was good and well thought.   Maybe a hint of bring your buisness to Ohio Tribs.   And while he was at it even though were not allowed He  posted his Guide Service address on the reports page. I think his report was more to attract buisness .   And in my opinion you would b Dfishin fool to spend that kinda money for a guide when there are so many people there on the tribs willing to share info. If you approach them right.

Sometimes the best Guide is the guy fishin next to you who's catchin fish.

Yes he is aloud to post his guide service web page in his reports . The site owner knows of this because it was set up that way.He does not even have to list it as it does it automaticaly. If I posted a stream report it would post at the bottom Wetwater guide servce without me typing it in. A guide service web page does not compete in any way with fishusa so it is not any violation. Now if a guide was posting he had say flys for sale that in itself would be a violation.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 13:43:12 (permalink)
    you're not fishin ????
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 16:27:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FlashDance

Steelhead movement occurs based on more than just rain fall.

I have no doubt, Flash.
    matter of fact, your brother and I have watched them belly crawl up and onward thru a low gin clear creek this Sept and early Oct
    Low and gin  and not a drop of rain for weeks when that was going on.

It's a little different is Pa tribs though.
    Not because the fish are any different, but because the creeks are so much smaller and more shallow.
    They  can't belly crawl over WAY  LONG stretches of trickles of water

a quick note about D'fishinfool's report.
    i know Don, I don't consider him a BSer and he's always given good info.
    He's  VERY knowledgeable and knows these fish and the creeks.

However he is also more of business man now and no longer a "mom and pop" type guide service he was many years ago.
    The last sentence of that post  reveals the real agenda of his report.
    Which is...he has guides that aren't booked.

is there anything wrong with that?
    Not IMO, it's no different than businesses  that send out "news letters" .
    There will be some info in the news letters, but it's really about marketing and keeping your service in front of potential customers.

no different than Uncle John's cabins or the green roof inn, or any number of biz entities that are panning for gold with their "news letters" (fishing reports)

..L.T.A.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 18:10:55 (permalink)
    He ended his fishing report with, " I have guides available Sat, Sun. and Monday if you are interested in some Buckeye Steelhead.  He was trying to sell Guide services in his report. As well as draw buisness into Ohio and out of Erie.  Read the "terms of service", Scroll down to fishing reports.  It reads "You agree that you will not use our services or our sites for commercial solicitation of any kind".  You may however advertise you service under  "Stream Guides".
    If you read his report he states that the Ohio fishing has been to hot for us to head east. There is only a slight mention of the erie tribs in his whole report.  It was a well written report for the wrong reasons. And might make one question the accuracy of the report after service were offered at the end.
    post edited by washdog - 2008/11/15 18:53:45
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/15 18:43:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: washdog

He ended his fishing report with, " I have guides available Sat, Sun. and Monday if you are interested in some Buckeye Steelhead.  He was trying to sell Guide services in his report.

we agree 100%, Wash

but I "think" he still has guide service available in Pa and NY too, unless something has changed in the last few years

..L.T.A.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/16 00:11:57 (permalink)
    "A quick note about D'fishinfool's report.
    i know Don, I don't consider him a BSer and he's always given good info.
    He's VERY knowledgeable and knows these fish and the creeks."

"Is there anything wrong with that?
    Not IMO, it's no different than businesses that send out "news letters" .
    "There will be some info in the news letters, but it's really about marketing and keeping your service in front of potential customers."

"It's no different than Uncle John's cabins or the green roof inn, or any number of biz entities that are panning for gold with their "news letters" (fishing reports)"

I agree with ya, Genieman 77! Remember Don lives closest to the Ohio tribs (outside Warren, Ohio) and so does many of his guides. I don't blame him for promoting Buckeye steelheading. I miss Don's input on this site and also Uncle Goober's. What's up Greg?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Pizzapro
    New Angler
    RE: dfishnfool's report 2008/11/16 07:22:53 (permalink)
    Hey that report is last weeks news :) . We did chum up some good knowledge about fish/weather related behavior. Alot of the reports people post are generalized chest thumping.Very few reports offer much fishing information anymore.I find the rapper style reports the most annoying.
    Jump to: