For the first time...I return with FISH!

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/10 15:51:21 (permalink)

For the first time...I return with FISH!

Went up to Erie this weekend and fished from the Legion parking lot, upstream.  Made my first tour up and back with the flyrod (didnt get as far as last time because last time I wasnt exactly sure where donny and his beaverettes laid claim), trying black, white, and olive wooly buggers, a purple zonker, three different colors of glowbugs, and my glowwy-crittery fly from the One Fly.  Nothing.  Not one fish even batted an eye at anything I threw at it.  The closest thing to interest I got was once with the purple zonker when two fish came from across the creek straight for it...but it just turned out to be a male chasing a female.  Hopefully he had better luck than me.

So I fished my way back down to the car and switched to the noodle rod.  Tried single eggs, salted minnows, and waxies with a few interested fish, but nothing even close to a take.  Made my way back up to the farthest upstream where anyone could fish, and decided to make my stand there until dark.  I was getting more of the same, but up there, people around me were actually catching, which made it frustrating and encouraging at the same time.  Finally I asked a guy what he was using, and the answer was skein.

Well, I had no skein so I matched it as close as I could: orange powerbait.  Fairly poor match, I know, but the fish didnt seem to mind.  5 minutes later, I landed a nice male, and 15 after that a nice female.  The male went on the string, my first ever kept fish, and the female went back.  Also had several other near-hookups, and I watched one take it, turn, and spit it out before I could set the hook on him.  It really seemed to be something they liked! 

I also got to talk to a few guys while fishing beside them, and everyone I spoke to was VERY nice, and many even tried to help me catch more fish (thanks goes out to Ed for giving me his leftover skein!).

So this morning I wake up (in my snow covered car!), grab some Sheetz serious dark roast, and head back over.  It was really cool being one of like a dozen guys on that whole section, as well as trudging up Elk in the dusting of snow and the pre-dawn gloom.  Headed back up to the same spot, and had the pleasure of being the first guy there.  On my way I passed several fly fishermen who seemed to be hooking up pretty regularly, though I didnt ask them what they were using.

At the riffle where I'd caught two fish the night before, I was getting nothing except frostbite and tangles, and soon, the rest of the fishermen were up around me, catching fish.  Again, I asked what people were using, again skein.  So I tied on a treble, and used some of Ed's skein.  It took a long time and a few more tangles, but I finally got another fish, this time, another hen.  I decided to keep her because I'd traded the first one in for a smoked fish, and I wanted to bring some fresh fish home to see how it compares to salmon.  It'll probably get baked with butter, lemon, and a dill rub.  As an added bonus, I have plenty of skein to use next week (and shre with some friends who I'll be meeting up there!).

For what its worth, these are the first non-panfish I've caught using bait in years.  Also, I found that I have trouble switching from fly to spin.  I lost count of how many times I tried to flip my line back upstream like a flyline, to no avail.

27 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 16:20:24 (permalink)
    Congrats man
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 16:28:29 (permalink)
    Good job  Maybe next time you will be here when they are turned on and have one of those 30 fish days  

wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 16:33:41 (permalink)
    Way to hang in there and git 'r done!
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 16:43:38 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you finally got some steel on.  Still think this will be your only season?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 16:51:24 (permalink)
    Pictures:

I was surprised at how subtle the bite is.  The hen in the second picture I only got because I was watching the skein, not the float.  I just was watching it drift and when it got to her, it disappeared.  I wouldnt have even set the hook, but she must have gotten hung up on it when she tried to spit it out, then freaked out.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 17:04:14 (permalink)
    Nice post AND nice fish. You did alot of the right things. You walked, you changed baits, you changed rigs, you asked.....those r well earned fish. Good for you and...

Welcome to Thunderdome!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 17:15:11 (permalink)
    This was a good trip, all around.  Very frustrating at first, but even then, the weather was miserable (which for some reason always puts me in a great mood when I'm out in it...), and all the people I talked to were great.  Even the Donny Beaver guy was very polite when he let me know I was entering private property.  Not exactly charming, but I dont expect that from a fisherman.  He was nice about it, let me know what was up politely, and when I apologized and explained my ignorance, he basically told me, "No problem, just lettin ya know".

And to schlemoc, I'll be up a few more times this year, and all my trips combined will determine whether or not I get another erie stamp, but this weekend made a strong case for the tribs.
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 18:09:30 (permalink)
    Good fish and like Slickfish said well earned. I caught my first trout on a flyrod last Thursday and it happened to be a brown trout, it felt great and I will never forget. After noodle rod fishing for 6 or 7 years and catching fish. It makes you think when you switch to a fly rod but its really not that different. Now that I see the little differences lets hope I can catch as many fish as I did with a noodle rod. Being 14 and spin fishing your whole life its a change to switch to a fly rod. Of course though I knew of the different types of reels and  different ways to fish and what they offer. But now I'll only spin fish when I have to. I fly fished for bass and now trout. It was harder to catch fish this week with this low and clear water.They will be a bit spooky. But once you find a pod of fish untouched or are into what your using you will catch fish. When I wasn't catching fish on my fly rod I felt like it was something wrong but it really wasn't it was the low and clear water. Also they were spooked , running when my junk hit the water. I wasn't using anything big because I knew they would get spooked. But I finally found a fish that was not getting nervous and finally hit.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 18:46:22 (permalink)
    Dont ever count that something big will automagically spook fish. Ive watched browns in crystal clear water try to swallow fish half its size.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 20:53:25 (permalink)
    You da man cold!

Congrats dude!
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 21:02:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Dont ever count that something big will automagically spook fish. Ive watched browns in crystal clear water try to swallow fish half its size.

If your throwing a weighted "bobber" you can NOT tell me that the fish are not going to get spooked from it. Most cases they get spooked if the water is low and clear.
    post edited by steelheadman28 - 2008/11/10 21:04:10
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 21:04:06 (permalink)
    Awesome pics Cold, go get em!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/10 21:50:23 (permalink)
    In defense of jlh's statement, I've watched trout respond, much like a bass, and slam a big wooly bugger that made a rough, splashy landing.  Not saying its the best method, but dont rule it out.  I was shocked at the un-fazeability (is that a word?) of steelhead.  After I'd tangled 3 floats and hooks in a low branch across the stream, I waded out to collect my trash.  Of course many of the fish scattered, but by the time I got back, re-rigged, and started casting again, they were right back to normal.  Indeed, I caught my third and final fish within 15 minutes after wading through the creek like that.

Thanks all for the kind words too!  There's no way I'd have been catching any steel this weekend without the help these boards have provided.
    wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/11 13:01:37 (permalink)
    great job . way to stick with it. don't ever rule out any bait or technique. last saturday it was low and clear, some fish were very spooky. my friend was spooking with a small fly, decided to go to a big, bright,and ugly , fly. it worked , 13# male hammered it. the norm for the conditions just was not working on that spot. keep fishing.
    Minnie Food
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/11 20:44:04 (permalink)
    cold you do know that your not suppose to set a spinning reel in snow and/or water? i mean it isnt like a fly reel it could get messed up.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/12 08:28:14 (permalink)
    Oh please, I've had cheaper reels than that one for years and years, and they've all stood up to what little water and snow they see without any problem.  I take pretty good care of all my reels, but I do expect them to be able to handle the outdoors.  If it cant handle being set down on wet ground or snow for 15 seconds while I take a picture, then I want to know right away so I never take it out again.

Actually, not to be nitpicky, but I've had far more issues with fly reels getting screwed up from the rigors of fishing than spinning.  Granted, my first reel was a very cheap one, but still, just a tiny bit of mud and it gave me a world of problems.  Now that I've replaced it with a much nicer reel, I've had no such problems.

I DO know not to dunk my reel for fun, but like I said, if it can't handle some brief exposure to that sort of thing, it's more of a liability than an aid to my fishing.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/12 08:47:51 (permalink)
    it's a fishing reel... it's gonna get wet
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/12 13:34:43 (permalink)
    yea i put my reel through hell but everyonce in a while take it part and lube it up a little bit..
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/12 14:08:29 (permalink)
    If you've got a good quality reel, thats all it needs.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/12 14:18:18 (permalink)
    congrats cold. cant wait to hit the streams myself. will be up on the 19-20 this month. cant wait. again congrats to ya.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/13 12:41:36 (permalink)
    Ate baked steelhead fillet last night.  Delicious.

Even my mom (who likes storebought salmon, but usually hates any fish that myself or my dad brings home) really, really liked it.

Any simple ways to remove the bones other than picking them out as you get to them?
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/13 16:09:50 (permalink)
    Cold,
        I knew from the look on your face that you would become addicted.   About bones:  If you cook the entire fish sometimes you can grab the backbone and the tail and just lift all the bones out still attached to the spine.  Other times if the fish is really well cooked you can take a fork down the rib line from top to bottom and the bones will come out.  If you are dealing with a fresh caught fish make a small slit above the pin bone line before filleting and slice the fillet as normal without cutting any bones, then lift the head and tail and most of the bones will be pulled out of the body.  Then skin and fillet.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/13 16:16:07 (permalink)
    Cold,

I set my reel in water ALL the time, but I do maintain them annually.  I expect reels to be able to take somewhat of a beating.  If not I replace them, not very expensive relative to all the other gear, travel, etc. you buy.  Snow is a different story since the gears can bind up with ice.

As for getting the bones out, I actually cut then out of the fillet.  You lose a good amount of meat this way, BUT they are much easier to eat.  Some people won't eat them if they have to worry about bones.  (My kids)  Plus they do taste better that way when smoked...crispier I think.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/14 19:00:04 (permalink)
    Heading up again in about 9 hours, and I gotta say, getting into some fish did me a world of good.  Its not quite the excitement that I get the night before the first day of buck, but I'm definitely excited.  Also, weirdo that I am, I'm pumped that the weather has decided to me miserable (is anyone else like that?  I LOVE being out in bad weather).  I just hope conditions dont become dangerous.

My friends are already up there, and saw some action on 20 Mile, no fish landed though.  I suggested Elk for tomorrow morning, and I think that's what we're doing.

Good luck all!

Also, if you're on Elk near the Legion hole, and see me, say hi!  I'll have an orange coat, green hip boots, and a Pitt hat w/ gold hook on the brim. 

For now, I'm gonna have a beer or three with some friends, then try and sleep...and hope this skein-sicle thaws by tomorrow morning!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/14 19:40:13 (permalink)
    I'll admit it...I'm one of the weirdos that enjoys fishing in what others consider bad weather. Always plenty of room and the catch seems more.....rewarding? I dunno, maybe there is something wrong with me, but I'm hopin' for a harsh winter.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/14 21:13:51 (permalink)
    I guess I,m in your legion of weirdos. lol
    Just love being there and having a great day!

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: For the first time...I return with FISH! 2008/11/15 00:00:03 (permalink)
    aw, way to go cold.  when i talked to you at the one-fly, i knew guys like you and schle would be the guys to pass the torch to.  great post also.

Jump to: