doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/06 18:42:23 (permalink)

HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH

for you history buffs!

from the book of 'fishing flies' by robert atkinson

in 1928, Frank Sawyer began a career as a river-keeper on a stretch of the River Avon in Hampshire's chalkstream country, much in the manner of William Lunn on the neighbouring Test. Whereas Lunn was a contemporary of Halford, Sawer had embraced the more expansive views of Skues. This led him to devise a general pattern which would sink quickly to the level of targeted fish. Dispensing with the traditional tying silk, Sawyer used copper wire from a dicarded electrical transformer to serve the dual purpose of forming a weighted underbody and securing the pheasant-tail herl from which his pheasant tail nymph is constructed. the pattern proved to be as successful on stillwaters as it was on rivers, imitating the darker olive and iron blue dun.
Sawyer also tied one with grey goose fibers he called the grey goose nymph.

looking at the colored picture the complete fly is made of pheasant tail, tail, abdomin and thorax which is ribbed with copper wire. the thorax is built up more than the abdomen. the wing case looks like folded down pheasant tail fibers with strands of pheasant tail as legs.

That's your history lesson for today!
post edited by doubletaper - 2008/11/06 18:44:25

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

7 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/06 19:24:52 (permalink)
    Interesting read, thanks.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/06 20:01:21 (permalink)
    great fly & very interesting post thanks
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/06 20:06:47 (permalink)
    Shot a pheasant yesterday morning, and spent well over 30 minutes trying to find it. The brush was so bad, and I finally called it quits..

Fast forward this morning and I found 6 pheasant tails lying near the brush.. Figured something got to it, and was ever to generous to leave me some tails! Definately going to be tying a lot of those!

Great read, what a pattern.
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/06 20:09:00 (permalink)
    Thanks, that was a great post.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/07 06:08:41 (permalink)
    yep, good info.  To add to it, at the time dry flies were the only 'accepted' way to catch trout on the chalkstreams.  Of course since the trout are feeding subsurface 90% of the time or more that posed a bit of a problem.  Sawyer was a bit of a maverick and buffed tradition.  He was ridiculed for fishing nymphs apparently.  But, in the chalkstreams down south the PT had just the right characteristics of natural sink rate and just enough bugginess.  They are still effective to this day.

Another note about sawyer is that he was a grayling hater.  At the time it was thought that grayling took prime food and habitat away from the brown trout.  So many, Sawyer especially, tried to kill as many grayling as possible.  When the brown trout were spawning and out of season they would target grayling to get them out of the stream.  It was this effort that the Killer Bug fly came from.  The KB is basically a small grub imitation that looks like a maggot.  I tie mine with creme and pale pink dubbing mixed in and don't leave a tail like in the link.  I also weight mine with lead for fishing deeper flowing streams.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Killer_Bug.htm

Thanks,
    Rick
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/07 20:35:09 (permalink)
    I don't know why, but I've always thought the pheasant tail is one of the prettiest nymphs. I've always liked the look of it.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: HISTORY OF PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH 2008/11/07 21:00:22 (permalink)
    Very interesting read.
    Thanks guys.

Jump to: