St Vincent Lake

Author
FlyGuyMatt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/04 13:07:40 (permalink)

St Vincent Lake

Taking some summer classes at St Vincent and was thinking about starting to fish the lake.  Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on the lake and what to expect to catch.  Thanks in advance

4 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: St Vincent Lake 2007/06/04 15:48:43 (permalink)
    There was an article in sundays greensburg paper that showed a picture of a child fishing it. I threw the paper out but if i remember right it sounded like a typical fare for a small pond. bass, panfish and catfish?

If your there it sure wouldn't hurt to fish it with the price of gas instead of running all around. If your new to that area maybe try the loyalhanna creek also. It can't be more than 5 miles from there i'd guess.
    2ManyVices
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: St Vincent Lake 2007/06/04 18:09:11 (permalink)
    Some decent largemouths on bass bugs fished late in the evening (if you can withstand the mosquitoes). There are also plenty of carp that can be had. Most there are taken on doughbaits, corn, etc. If you wish to stick to "flies", I'd tie up a white deer hair "bread fly" for the surface and a similar ram's wool "bread fly" for subsurface. Any crayfish pattern should work if you can detect a feeder. The water there is turbid throughout the year so that may be a challenge. There are plenty of crappies, bullheads and misc. sunfish to round out what you should find there. Good Luck!
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: St Vincent Lake 2007/06/05 22:31:29 (permalink)
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: St Vincent Lake 2007/06/06 22:51:38 (permalink)
    there are a lot of carp in St Vincent, some are real big. i was out there a couple days ago and most of the carp were spawning. i'm sure there must be some big bass in there, if you can try to find a spot to fish on the wooded side. there are a lot of small panfish and bullhead cats in there as well. if you nightfish out there then be prepared to catch some decent sized snapping turtles.
    Jump to: