Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
orionz06
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/04 06:14:40 (permalink)

kayak fishin

anyone here kayak fish?  just got one a day ago.....

32 Replies Related Threads

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/04 08:43:59 (permalink)
    yep.  Here's a great place to get involved in that aspect of fishing:  http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/04 14:00:49 (permalink)
    I got into kayak fishing with a buddy almost two years ago.  We both own a Hobie Quest kayak.  Big thanks to kayak99 for his advice before I purchased!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/04 15:50:13 (permalink)
    are those the ones that got the foot paddles and that?  i really wanted to get one after i seen hank parker on tv cruising around in one, would like to take to the smaller, motor restricted lakes
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/04 19:41:10 (permalink)
    I saw the same show, darn near bought one. The price scared me. Ended up with an otter. Works great going down the Sandy ,smackin them thar trout.

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/04 20:27:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg.  We still need to fish together sometime.

ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

are those the ones that got the foot paddles and that?  i really wanted to get one after i seen hank parker on tv cruising around in one, would like to take to the smaller, motor restricted lakes

One of my yaks is a Hobie Outback (fisherman) with the pedal system.  Same as Hank Parker used but mine is sand in color.  I've made some mods and love it but the yak is a bit unwieldy out of water. I have a trailer so loading and unloading isn't bad.   I've taken it out to the shore fished the back bays with it.  The salt didn't phase it.

I got mine a few years ago at a great winter price and they are a bit pricey now so I suggest you look for a used one.  That site I posted above has classifieds with lots of models available although sometimes it's a bit far from here.  Prices can be worth the drive though.

You're welcome to see it if you're ever around Grove City.
    post edited by kayak99 - 2007/06/04 20:28:55
    ztroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/05 12:02:48 (permalink)
    I got into fishing from a kayak three seasons ago.  I got a WS Pamlico 100 and rigged it myself to fish on the Susky and Juniata Rivers.  One of the best things I ever bought.  It gets you into places on those rivers that you can't wade to or some guys would not take their boats into.  Two great sites for yakakfishing:  www.riversmallies.com and www.kayakfishingstuff.com. 
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/05 16:29:37 (permalink)
    Here is another good site:

http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/

The Beerman ~ Greg
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/08 10:56:45 (permalink)
    whats are some nice kayaks for fishing smaller rivers and lakes like arthur high point and keystone power dam?  Whats the most stable kayak?  Does everyone here who fishes from one like it? or have any advice, i reallly wanna get one soon.  do they have to be registered in pa or anything?  i have an f150 with 6.5 feet bed, can i throw it back there with the tailgate down and tie it to something?
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/08 13:46:10 (permalink)
    Hard to answer your question about the best as many of us like different brands.  I have a Hobie and Prijon and like them both.  Others like Pungos and Pamlicos, both good boats. 

Yaks are really nmore stable than one might think.  You can shift your weight, almost tipping them on their side and still float. 

If possible, try and look at a few then get what your budget allows.  Also look at the above sites recommended where you'll get lots of ideas on how to mod them.

The only times they have to be registered is if you use Fish Commission ramps or if you motorize them.  Same as canoes.

If you have an 6.5 ft bed and say a 12' boat, you're going to have almost 6 ft out the back.  That's a lot.  You could leave the tailgate up and tie it there.  Otherwise I'd recommend racks or a trailer.

TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/08 15:05:32 (permalink)
    i seen one at gander mountain i think it was 13 feet called an ocean prowler, it looked nice for 800 bucks, does cabelas have alot of them? i may go there and look around, whats better to use the pedals or the paddles?  and if i leave the tailgate up and let the end hang out of the bed, is that legal, i think i have to have an orange flag tied on the back off it if something hangs out of your truck more than 2 feet. do you have any pics of your kayaks?
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/09 08:02:36 (permalink)
    I am not familiar with the Ocean Prowler but it may be a good one.  There are so many to choose from. Please sign on to this forum http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums where there are sub forums for different models.  You can ask people who actually use the models you are considering.

Cabelas does sell kayaks.  So does Dicks.  I suggest you determine what boat you want them look for th ebest price even considering used models.

There are times when pedals are better, there are times when paddles are better.  Many use trolling motor setups.  It's a matter of opinion.  To each his own.

I can't give you legal information but one extending up and out rather than just out the back is safer.  With your short bed you may consider a rack.

In Pa I believe you would need a red flag, not orange.

Hobie Outback Fisherman - http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_outbackfisherman.html

Prijon Touring  - http://www.wildnet.com/  Look for the Yukon Expedition.  Note this is not designed for fishing but I have used it that way many times.

Good luck.

TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/09 10:36:25 (permalink)
    sent you a pm kayak99
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/09 17:20:41 (permalink)

i seen one at gander mountain i think it was 13 feet called an ocean prowler, it looked nice for 800 bucks, does cabelas have alot of them? i may go there and look around, whats better to use the pedals or the paddles?  and if i leave the tailgate up and let the end hang out of the bed, is that legal, i think i have to have an orange flag tied on the back off it if something hangs out of your truck more than 2 feet. do you have any pics of your kayaks?

thats the yak im buying, an ocean kayak prowler 13. its an awesome yak. you wont be disappointed with it unless you turn out not liking yak fishing at all.

btw get a rudder.
    orionz06
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 00:18:06 (permalink)
    got a screamin deal at gander mountain...

perception prodigy exp 10....

very stable and easy to get moving.....

holds a fair amount of gear, enough room for a day of fishing and some stuff to kayak to a shore and sit too....
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 09:59:51 (permalink)
    I've read good reviews about the Ocean Kayak Prowler.  IMO a rudder is essential for running in a straight line.
    If anybody is interested in shopping for a Hobie kayak, there is a good boat store that sells them south of Butler.  I believe it's called Wind and Water Boatworks.  Here is a link to Hobie kayaks:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

The Beerman ~ Greg
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 10:18:24 (permalink)
    i was checkin the prowler 13 out at gander mountain yesterday, it seems nice the only thing it dont have and i really want is the foot pedal system but its almost like paying 800 bucks just for that cuz the prowler is 800 and the hobie is like 1600 at least, do you experienced guys think its really needed or do you get just as much fishing done by paddling?

i just read a bunch of reviews on the prowler, everyone who had one loved it, i plan on fishing lakes with 10hp restrictions like arthur and rivers like the yough so i think it would should do fine there since its made to be used in the ocean.  i just have to do some more research and see if i really need the pedal drive system that comes with the hobies
    post edited by TransAmWS6 - 2007/06/10 11:19:50
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 12:31:08 (permalink)
    TransAmWS6,

The Hobie kayak (Quest model) I own doesn't have the foot pedal system.  What I meant by rudder is a rear rudder located in the stern.  Ask any questions you want about buying a kayak here.

The Beerman ~ Greg
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 12:59:37 (permalink)
    does anyone here have the pedal system, do you guys think its worth the extra cash, its like almost double the price just for it compared to the prowler 13 and hobie quest
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 13:44:50 (permalink)
    Trans,

When pricing a fishing kayak you have to consider all the accessories you will need.  Some companies have package deals.  The Hobie Quest, I have, is the fishing model.  Besides the kayak itself, it included the paddle, seat, anchor, transport wheels and a cooler.  I actually considered the Prowler, but I feel that I got more for my money with the Quest fisherman package model.

The Beerman ~ Greg
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/10 21:57:19 (permalink)
    to me the pedal system is nice but completely defeats half the purpose im buying a yak. true i want it to fish small lakes and the rivers but i also want to use it to get in shape and stay in shape. plus in all honesty i dont trust things with more moving parts then are necessary. im sure its not a problem but i just believe in simplicity. another consideration for me was fishing the yough and weed beds in lakes. anytime you get to shallow you have to pull the drive up which seems like a pain in the arse. i know guys say it takes 10 seconds but to be honest its 10 seconds i would rather not waste.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 10:31:55 (permalink)
    TA-
    Here's my 2 cents for this thread and your Lake Arthur one.  I have a light that I put on my kayak.  I rarely use the kayak at night though.  The light is a small LCD flash light with an empty Tylenol bottle taped to the top.  It is bright enough for people to spot you on the water.  I have it rigged to go about 3' up a PVC pipe that hooks into a PVC 3 way connector that I have attached to my kayak, which I primarily use for holding rods.  Casting at night from a kayak isn't the easiest thing, so using it as a transport at night is more of what I do, then wade and cast.  Wipers seem to be easily spooked by light and noise.  Kayaks seem to transmit noise off of every little move, so I'd imagine this cuts down on a catch rate.  I also have a depth finder rigged to my kayak.  I don't use it much, so I don't have it epoxied in.  I did, but kept popping off, now I use petroleum jelly and duct tape.  Which is nice, since I don't always want it attached.  As for transport, I used to have an old Toyota pick up, with a much smaller bed than a F150, and would just put it in the back.  My yak is 10', so it is pretty small.  Just make sure it is strapped in well, and nothing can come flying out, a set of bright straps with the extra portion being used as a flag always worked for me.  I had been followed by highway patrols, and never had a problem.  My kayak was about $200, and have about $200 in accessories, including paddle, vest, depth finder, rod holders (one real one and some home made ones), 2 stablizers that I have never used, and a skirt which is never used.  I have a $100 roof rack now too, which you can definitely get away with something less than that, but holds multiple boats.  Some other things that I use are, 1lb lead wieght as an anchor, rope to direct the anchor to the bow or stern.  I also have some leashes, one bought and others made, for the paddle and rods if needed.  I also bought some additional seat padding.  That's my set up, and works pretty well.  I couldn't really justify spending $1k on a kayak, then buying all of the other add ons.  Granted, my yak is not a nice one, and gets a little uncomfortable after 3-4 hours of sitting in it.  It is also a sit in, which can not be used in the ocean and not advisable on Lake Erie.  I'd much rather have a nicer yak, but if I am going to pay that much, then I'd rather have a real boat.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 14:47:58 (permalink)
    i understand your point there porktown, i found a hobie quest up in butler at the wind and waterworks boat place,  1000 bucks for 06 quest with rudder and it comes with paddle and almost all accessories i need except a fishfinder/depthfinder
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 15:11:29 (permalink)
    That's where I bought my Quest.  I think I paid close to $1400 for mine in September of 05'.  I also bought a Thule roof rack from them and a kayak hanger that stores it (hanging) along my garage wall.

The Beerman ~ Greg
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 15:19:26 (permalink)
    how much was the price for just the yak, about the same as they are tellin me?
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 15:27:43 (permalink)

does anyone here have the pedal system, do you guys think its worth the extra cash, its like almost double the price just for it compared to the prowler 13 and hobie quest

First of all, regardless of whether you get pedal or paddle, you do want a rudder system as beerman said.  You'll spend a lot less effort steering with a rudder than with just paddles.

The place beerman recommended in Butler is the same I PM'd you about.  Good people there.

Is it worth the extra cost?  Maybe, maybe not.  If you have the money and/or get a good deal and you're not always fishing shallow rocky streams and you want to spend more time fishing than paddling, then yes.  (see my answer below as to the time spent fishing vs paddling)

But, you could go your entire life without pedals and not miss them.  One without pedals is far less money and just as versatile.  You can use the money you save to nicely outfit a non-pedal boat.  Heck, you can even add a trolling motor system for less money.  (Note: You will also be using a paddle with the pedal system boat, especially launching and returning so don't think you'll be leaving without one.)

My Outback is faster though and I like it for times when I want to navigate tight areas, when I want a fast turn and head back upstream in a flat slow stream situation, when I have some distance to travel, or when I want to troll.  Especially when I want to troll.  I can sit and face upstream or into the wind and maintain my position without an anchor.

When I want to change directions or get out of someones way I don't have to secure my rod and grab the paddle.  I just pedal and use two fingers, my thumb and forefinger, for the rudder. The rudder system in a Hobie is ingenious.  I can fish while I move. That's hard to do when paddling. It takes so little effort to turn the rudder with my left hand while the rod remains in the right.

I also have a yak without pedals too, and I fish fine from it as well.  With one I get more exercize in the upperbody, with the other it's like riding a bike. 

ORIGINAL: plnoldrick

to me the pedal system is nice but completely defeats half the purpose I'm buying a yak.  anytime you get to shallow you have to pull the drive up which seems like a pain in the arse. i know guys say it takes 10 seconds but to be honest its 10 seconds i would rather not waste.

I have to disagree with.  When approaching a shallow area all you have to do is, with your feet, flatten your fins against the bottom of the boat.  However, if you are approaching an almost bare area, you can take the 10 seconds to pull the pedals up but then again you're probably going to scrape the bottom of your yak anyway.  Something I try to avoid.

As far as "wasting" time, think of how much time I have to fish while not paddling.  Unless you're equipped with a rod holder and "trolling" you're not fishing while you are paddling.  I am.

When all is said and done, people who pedal spend more time fishing than those who paddle.

TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 15:51:28 (permalink)
    I have been reading reviews on the mirage drive and from almost everyone they think its the best invention for kayak fishing and it makes it way easier to fish and move at the same time, i think im gonna have to suck it up and get the outback
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 16:09:28 (permalink)

how much was the price for just the yak, about the same as they are tellin me?

I paid $1400 for the Hobie Quest Fisherman's model.  The Rack and hanger system was extra.  $1100 is a good deal IMO!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/11 22:07:14 (permalink)
    Here is a picture of my kayak on the car roof rack:

more....

The Beerman ~ Greg
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: kayak fishin 2007/06/13 10:29:43 (permalink)
    Cobra Fish N Dive is a nice, stable SOT yak that a lot of guys use in the ocean.  They catch big fish down there (40-50" redfish and 6'+ sharks from their yaks) and love the stability of it.  If you ever think you will want to fish Erie or the Ocean with the yak, definitely get a Sit on Top model. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: