Chartiers Creek

Author
Dr. Fotios
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/01 07:54:14 (permalink)

Chartiers Creek

First off I'd like to say hello. I've Just joined this forum after reading some of the archived posts and finding them very interesting. I have some questions about chartiers creek in the canonsburg/ southpointe/ McMurray and houston/ meadowlands areas. In the archive there were a lot of posts about chartiers but I cant seem to find any recent (within the last year or so) posts. I was curious as to wether anyone was still fishing chartiers especially in the areas I mentioned above and if so what was being caught and what bait you use. I am most interested in Cats, Carp, Gar, Muskie, and Bass but I like catching anything. Thanks in advance.
post edited by Dr. Fotios - 2007/06/01 07:56:18

3 Replies Related Threads

mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Chartiers Creek 2007/06/01 20:26:59 (permalink)
    I fish it all the time, but not areas you mention. Most everthing that swims is in there. The bulk of my latest catches have been walleye on large, plump, white twister tails. This past weekend had quite a crowd where I was. One day I had the big hole to myself and the next day I couldn't get a spot. So I headed downstream and found a nice looking hole to myself and BAM! More walleye. An hour or so later a guy and his kid came to the same hole as me. Talking with him, turns out he had the same problem fishing the big hole as me. Too crowded. So we shared this hole. He was using crawlers under a float. I suggested fishing the bottom, so he did. Then he kept getting nibbles and reeling in a cleaned off hook. I told him that I often use crawlers there and that when getting nibbles reel slow and set the hook when a nibble occures. Again he took the advice and caught several walleye. It was an all round good day.   
    Dr. Fotios
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Chartiers Creek 2007/06/02 09:38:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Mr.Fisherman! Thats the first I’ve heard of Walleye in Chartiers but nothing really surprises me anymore. Very interesting. Where about do you fish chartiers? More towards Heidelberg? I tried a spot in Southpointe Wednesday night. Never fished it before and it was dark when I got there. Had to make my way through about 30ft of dense undergrowth and nettle just to get to the water. Only fished it for a little over an hour and and had no luck since it was dark I couldn’t really tell if there were holes but it appeared to be pretty shallow. No bites but I saw 2 small/medium (15in) carp when I walked halfway out into the creek and a nice size watersnake swam by. Last night I tried an area in meadowlands. Nice area!!! Several large deep holes. Got there about 8pm. Saw 15 to 20 very nice size carp a few where around 30in. I was fishin 2 lines. One with a slip float/ shot and one with shot on the bottom. I had the float set at about 7ft and was hittin the holes. I then adjusted it to about 4 ft and hit the holes and let it float out and down a bit. The other line was on the bottom in the shallows and holes. I was using nightcrawlers and French fries and a mix on both. Hook was 1/0 single. Saw the carp hit my float setup but when I tried to set nothing. They were just mouthin it. Switched that one to a smaller sized treble hook. But it was dark at that point. The fish were bitin but so were the mosquitoes. Only fished to about 1130pm. I noticed the same thing you mentioned above in regards to nibbles and them cleaning the hook. Im not saying they were walleye but they could’ve been. I was thinking the same thing that I really would have to hold the rod and slowly bring it in to feel every little nibble and set not just leave the rod in the holder. Probably better to use just one rod or at least have one that I just hold and fish that way the whole time. Did have one big hit but whatever it was I think when it started to run it wrapped around some tree or roots in the hole and I lost it in the resulting snag. I ended up catching 3 baby bullheads. I’m definitely going back to that spot. Hopefully this evening. I’m becoming obsessed with those big **** carp and I gotta get one. Have any suggestions on any other good carp bait (outside of the usuall corn, doughball) or hook size??? I had some bread but chumming is a little tricky with the moving water and these carp are spooky and don’t seem to be doin a lot of surface feedin. I also plan on trying some lures and chubs/panfish as bait in the holes (not for carp) any thoughts?. I’ll have look into tryin those twister tails, gotta get some. I have more experience with channel cats than carp. I don’t like to use treble hooks. I usually use 1/0 or larger single hooks. Are these generally too much for carp? (I know there not too much for baby bulls and even small panfish.) Are there any flatheads in chartiers? Mr.Fisherman thanks again. Anybody else that has any info please let me know.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Chartiers Creek 2007/06/04 08:53:34 (permalink)
    Wow. Glad to see a post like this.  I have always thought about fishing in these areas but never have.  Me and my friend even talked about this past friday.  I guess it is time to start walking that stream and looking for some good spots.  Maybe see some of you there.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    Jump to: