Fly line management

Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/26 10:49:52 (permalink)

Fly line management

I am new to Steelhead fly fishing.  The problem I am having is when I get a hookup, I invariably have a lot of fly line at my feet from casting.  I stuggle with keeping tension on the fish while getting rid of the slack.  I've tried squeezing the line against the rod, but I guess I've done this too hard as the fish breaks off every time.

9 Replies Related Threads

Oilcreektrouter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/26 11:15:22 (permalink)
    Okay, my question to you is; Are you primarily nymphing under an indicator or are you swinging streamers, speys, etc.  The thing to ponder is that if you are nymphing, primarily you'll be working closer than you would with the swing.  You shouldn't have more than 20' of fly line off the reel if you are nymphing/indicator fishing, in most scenarios.  Now, if you're using a 9-11' leader, figure that you'll really only have about 10-15' of fly line outside the rod tip.  If your rod is a 9'er then just have a little loop of about 3' of line pinched in your finger, against the cork.  Then, to set the hook when the indi stops, just let go of the loop.  The 3' of line will be pulled through the guides as you strike upwards.  The shock of the line hitting the reel will be what sets the hooks.  More often than not, this will be enough to drive the hook home, if you are using good, sharp hooks.  If you are swinging flies, then the same idea is put into play.  Have a 3' loop pinched and when you feel the fish strike, let go of the loop, but don't set the hook with an upward strike.  Let the fish take the line and again, the shock created by the line connecting with the reel will, more often than not, be sufficient to drive the hook home.  Although, you can give it a couple of side strikes towards the shore closest to you.  Reason being, steelies will typically take a fly and turn back into the middle of stream.  Striking towards the shore closest to you will allow you to strike against the direction the fish is travelling.  I hope that the above makes sense.   It sounds to me that you are pulling too much line off of the reel.  Good luck!   -O.C.T.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/27 23:49:10 (permalink)
    Being right-handed, my right hand is always on the rod.  I keep the line under my index finger on my right hand  at all times.  My left hand is then free to reel or strip as neccesary while the line remains taught under the index finger on my right hand.  Always try to keep as little line out as possible, especially slack line, obviously the more line out the more of a problem it will be to recover that line.   When I hook a fish the first thing I do is try to get it on the reel, this makes life so much easier.

If you are having problems getting the fish on the reel then it is probably time to invest in a large arbor reel that offers better line pickup. 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/28 08:58:52 (permalink)
    my suggestion,
     after you set the hook bring the rod up high and away from the fish quickly with your line running through your lightly pressed line hand. along with the fish pulling away from you this will get any excess slack line out then you should be at your spool. if you still have more slack line, i would say you had too much slack line out in the first place.
    if the fish runs towards me i usualy hope for the best. i let him run towards me while reeling the line in as quickly as posible, again with my rod held high. i watch my line and not the fish. when the line starts to pull away i brace myself and try to control the initial pull of the fish on the slack line. then let him run and fight him from that point.
    a large arbor is great for steelies as mentioned before because you can get more line in quicker if need be. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/28 09:26:30 (permalink)
    sounds like too much line on the water.  do you keep a lot of line out so you can make a long cast or do you make a long cast and strip it all the way in?  the best thing to do is keep less line on the water.  only leave as much line out as you need, when you shorten you cast, reel in the slack first.  make shorter casts and strip it in.  or learn to have a lighter touch on the line as you reel in slack.  not too many options.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/28 17:43:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist
     I invariably have a lot of fly line at my feet from casting. 

You shouldn't unless you're stripping streamers where then you pinch the line with your finger to the cork to add a little drag until you get the fish on the reel. Off hand should either be reelin in excess line and or managing the line to avoiding tangles.   
     Just try to keep as much line on the reel while fishing.

Gone Fishing
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/29 18:37:03 (permalink)
    I've started reeling in the slack after the cast.  I think what's really helped was the addition of shock gum.  Setting the hook is a bit tougher, but I've had no line breaks since.

Thanks for all the replies.
    jim
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/30 15:44:12 (permalink)
    Charist,
    It just takes a little time to get the right touch.
    If you're breaking off more than you thing you should, try heavier tippet.
     I use the heaviest I can get away with. Usually 3x tippet or heavier, 4x for exteme conditions. Keep the lighter stuff for trout and bluegills.

Gone Fishing
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line management 2008/10/30 17:10:17 (permalink)
    I must have hooked into a monster steelie mid October on Elk when fishing a white zonker produced a strike so powerful that it broke 2x tippet after the line slack was taken up.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Fly line management 2008/11/20 21:55:51 (permalink)
    Jump to: