Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/22 09:36:35 (permalink)

The best things about Erie Trib fishing

So many posts about people snagging, crowded conditions, people threatening eachother, etc, etc.  It's a wonder people even fish in Erie.  Seems to aggrivate so many.  It's a rarity to see a post stating how great things are/were today, last weekend... People are afraid to post pics anymore because we have all seen what happens when you do that.  I wanted to post some pics of last Saturday of legit 10 and 12 lb fish that I released but thought better when thinking about follow up posts.  When I contemplated blurring the background so I wouldn't get bashed for possible spot burning that was it.  No pics. 

So how about I mention what I love about Erie Trib fishing.  Because I can't think of anything I hate.  I conceed to having the usual gripes now and then, but they mean nothing to me in a day of fishing.  Here they are:

Possibly the best steelhead fishing on the planet.  May not be for wild natural steelhead out west or in Alaska, but it is what it is, and people come from far and wide to fish here. 

In one day you can catch fish on jigs, flatfish, spoons, spinners, flies of every variety, eggs in many forms, live bait, fake bait, powerbait, and the list goes on.

I've met some great people on the streams. 

I've learned a ton in 8 years and hopefully have given some good knowledge to others.

You can't beat the scenery. 

The smell of the grapes in the fall.

The post fishing meal on the way home.  It could be hot roadkill****on a bun. 

Fishing as many creeks as you want in 1 day. 

Standing in one spot all day.

Sight fishing.

Blind fishing or casting into the lake having no idea when the rod nearly gets jerked out of your hands.

Fishing for steelhead from September to April. 

Catching 1 fish in August or May.

The evolution from a bass rod and minnows to a noodle rod and nothing but what's in the vest.

Watching family or friends catch fish.

The pictures.

Driving 2 hours and fishing in the dark before anyone you know has even had an eye open.

That it gives me good days of fishing through the winter.

Ice fishing for steelhead....on a big hole in the creeks.

Tying something and finding out it works, really good.

A 2 fish day in early September is a great day. 

The worst day you can have in the early season is at the very least the best walk you have taken all summer. 

These fish.  These silver, rainbow, and winter black fish. 

Enjoying a moderate amount of fish on the grill, in the smoker, in some fish patties, in a spread, etc.

It could go on and on I suppose.  I am thankful that every time I go I do not seem to run into the same problems to whine and bellyache about when I get home.  I have nothing but amazing things to think about to keep me going all week. 

Including having trouble going to sleep seeing all those fish inhale whatever was on the end of my line.  I'll have that in my head on my last breath. 

37 Replies Related Threads

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 09:49:41 (permalink)
    i hate the elbo rubbers, i try to fish around as few peeps as i can ,if they did not come with me for get it, less greif and its kinda like deer hunting you shoot the deer you go to track it and next you hear the gun fire go off like a chinas new years party, the guys some times has no respect for the words fish on
    ginclear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 10:01:20 (permalink)
    Getting together with buddies I only see once or twice a year.

killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 10:11:39 (permalink)
    shh... don't post the good things.... keep it all negative so that the few people who've never tried it won't join the millions of us who have... LOL Honestly, my favorite part of steelhead fishing is the faces of those catching their first. It makes the 2+ hour trip worth every cent to see a newb actually hook one and feel the power in the rod. I catch myself watching anglers more than my line alot of times now. LOL

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 10:28:07 (permalink)
    I love walking the streams and finding new water.

Seeing a bobber go down, simple as it is, thrills me as much now as I think it did when I was 6 years old.

Learning new techniques--managed to finally catch my first steelhead on a dry fly this year.  I'm stilly replaying the visions of those incredibly aggressive takes in my head. 

The people I fish with.

Leaving it all behind on my six hour drive north.

The fall colors.

Seeing a fish inhale a fly or jig.

Bobber eaters when fishing fresh egg sacs to fresh run fish.

Seeing a fish chase their tails when they miss a fly and want it really, really bad... then dropping the fly back in the pool and watching them slam it with a vengeance.

Catching fish!

And on and on and on.  
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 10:56:57 (permalink)
    best
    1  catching what amounts to GIANT rainbows on a fly pole
    2  hanging with friends who dont care about coffee/snuff breath
    3  freezing my fingers off but finally pulling off that perfect knot in the half darkness of dawn
    4  being with a group of people who dont care if you sneak some bait on your fly pole once in a while
    5  spending time with my aging dad, probably the best of all

worst
    1  freezing my fingers off, getting agrivated, and tying a subpar knot, and losing a fish because of it!
    2  watching someone who whips the water into a froth catching more fish then you

overall I would say the pros out wiegh the cons substantially, we are truely blessed to have a place like this to fish, and fish like these to catch so close to home.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 11:51:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: leadmen

i hate the elbo rubbers, i try to fish around as few peeps as i can ,if they did not come with me for get it, less greif and its kinda like deer hunting you shoot the deer you go to track it and next you hear the gun fire go off like a chinas new years party, the guys some times has no respect for the words fish on

This thread is about the "good things"
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 11:58:43 (permalink)
    what about teasers
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 12:17:22 (permalink)
    I forgot about the fish that come back to hit a jig, fly, egg, flatfish lure over and over till they get it.  The 12 lb fish last week hit my jig 7-8 times before finally being hooked.  It was like she knew where the hook ended. 
    steelie30
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 12:38:24 (permalink)
    the drive up from pittsburgh with my dad and brother.  the conversations get quite hilarious, especially on the way home when we are a bit tired and giddy.

the fall scenery.

watching the goofy things other anglers do.  even if they are rude, i try to find some humor in it all.

those magical days when everything goes right and you have a little elbow room.

those cloudy skies with snow storms threatening with a little bite to the wind.  just awesome and peaceful.
    Bibby
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 12:41:56 (permalink)
    Catching rocket ships fresh from the lake that strip line, make powerful leaps, break you off and your happy about it.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 12:47:42 (permalink)
    Haven't caught a twelve pounder yet.  In fact, took me until this year to break ten with an 11lb 2 oz fish.

That's another thing great thing about fishing the Erie tribs.  As someone else has said (can't remember who), it's "the pursuit of that which elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions to hope."  For me, that is now a 12 lb fish!  ;-)
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 13:01:57 (permalink)
    Thanks.  I actually have it on the wall in my office, but without attribution.
    post edited by wishfishin - 2008/10/22 13:11:08
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 13:11:18 (permalink)
    The thing that i love most about comming to Erie is watching the guys using their spinning reels upside down what a laugh. I don't get to see that really anywhere but Erie. And as Joe said watching that big cotton mouth open up and slam your jig he miss and comes back at it 2 -3 times before you put the hook to him awesome.  Gotta  love it good thread Joe !

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 13:38:02 (permalink)
    ya'll might think this is silly, but after i leave one spot to head for another or home,
     i really enjoy that left over COLD coffee in the cup holder.
    Might be a half cup, might only be a couple swallows left, but there's something about it, it just tastes GOOD to me then

My creek neighbors this morning were a couple fellows from West ByGod Virgina.
    4 hour drive for them.

couple "good ole boys" they were. I enjoyed their company.
    We had no problems sharing the hole/run.

It was the first time ever steelie fishing for the one duud.
    he missed a couple, played and lost one, then finally landed his first!

..L.T.A.

STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 14:01:16 (permalink)
         There is something magical about the tribs in the middle of winter as large snowflakes fall gently from grey skies. The stillness interrupted by Old Man Winter's cold breath blowing gently through, briefly changing direction of the falling snow. Its winters way of decorating the large barren oaks and frozen brown earth into your own personal snowglobe. Some folk find it hard to ignore such beauty while trying to concentrate on a drift in anticipation of that next great battle. I feel very fortunate to be one of those people we call anglers.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 15:01:47 (permalink)
    One thing I'm really learning to love is dawn from Rte. 79.  The first time I experienced it I was so stressed because I knew I was gonna miss sun-up on the water.  After seeing how beautiful it was, I was glad I was running late just so I could see it.

For my second trip, I timed it so that I could see it again.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 15:09:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Route 79 wood...

from the bumps?  the 1st summer i worked for penndot my friend and i talked about that from riding in the dumptrucks and the air ride seats. if thats what you were talking about.  if its not just pretend i never said any of this
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 15:12:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

ORIGINAL: anadromous

Route 79 wood...

from the bumps?  the 1st summer i worked for penndot my friend and i talked about that from riding in the dumptrucks and the air ride seats. if thats what you were talking about.  if its not just pretend i never said any of this
      Dude thats just TMI 

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 16:13:30 (permalink)
    My favorite thing about the Erie tribs is the good number of people I have been able to turn on to the sport of fishing. Kids are less excited to watch a bobber on the lake, or throw a spinner in the lagoons. Children, women, men......they all get the fever when they SEE the fish in the hole, HUNDREDS OF GIANT fish in the hole...right there in front of them. Most of them get it worse when they hook up. I got em...I got em...i got em.... instead of "fish on" is music to my ears. I would rather watch a "steel virgin" hook up once, than catch a hundred of my own. Watching a grown man squeal like a kid, watching a kid yelling with the lungs of a man....That's whats great to me.
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/10/22 16:16:20

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 17:31:23 (permalink)
    Watching peacymike fish
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 21:34:29 (permalink)
    Nice post Joe....I'm with you buddy....except one more for me.....Now having a camp right on Elk to go to whenever I want.  A warm & dry place to sleep, eat, tie jigs/eggs and tell fish tales!

PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 21:59:13 (permalink)
    Nice thread. As someone that has never fish for steelhead but getting ready to, it is nice to hear about some of the good stuff and not all the bad. In the short time I been on this message board I heard more bad than good. It nice to have a good thread.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/22 23:56:52 (permalink)
    Living so close to one of the best fisheries in the whole country. Im never gonna move from this place. The tribs , the lake , no earthquakes , no hurricanes , no typhoons , no sunami's , no volcanos , maybe a rare tornado or water spout but thats all i can think about right off the top of my head. Some snow lol. I aint complaining with so many places to fish im in heaven if you ask me.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 00:09:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

One thing I'm really learning to love is dawn from Rte. 79.  The first time I experienced it I was so stressed because I knew I was gonna miss sun-up on the water.  After seeing how beautiful it was, I was glad I was running late just so I could see it.

For my second trip, I timed it so that I could see it again.

I was impressed with sunup as well.  Tried to get some pix but the camera just couldn't pick up what I was seeing.  This pic is from Last Saturday.  I'll see you this weekend and next weekend too.

Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 00:27:54 (permalink)
    Hooking silver bullets for three days straight, sleeping three hours a night, watching steelhead swimming on the walls of the Burger King bathroom (look....they are there, I swear), hanging with good buddies that don't mind that you all reek of fish slime and BO, no shower in 3 days....driving five hours with the windows down and 32 degrees out, heater cranking.....waiting all year just to do it again. Counting the days now, boys. I'm there in less than 36 hours! Tight lines!
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 10:12:59 (permalink)
    fishing sunup to sundown and going back to the hotel, closing your
    eyes and seeing indicators go under in your sleep.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 10:31:34 (permalink)
    Its the best steelhead fishing in the word, not for size, but sheer in numbers of retuning fish, its awesome to see.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 11:00:52 (permalink)
    It used to be about catching. Now I'd rather share a drift with fellow anglers and that is special to me . I like to fish with some company and make new friends . There are ALOT of great folks on the tribs whom all share one common bond in our "pursuit of steel" .

Sharing what is working for me to those whom do not have as much time on the tribs as I do and watching them succeed really gives me a higher level of gratification for my day. As said before its more fun to see the newbies get action. Life is much simpler when your line is a drift! Tight lines ... DC
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: The best things about Erie Trib fishing 2008/10/23 11:15:56 (permalink)
    the best thing for me is fishing all day on the weekends, driving over right after work during the week to get a few hours in.  But most of all, is that fact that after I am done or completely exhausted, I can drive East on Rt 5 from Walnut for about 10 minutes until I reach downtown Erie.  Then I turn on Cherry St. and go a couple of blocks, and turn left on 7th, park, walk to my apt and open the door and have my beautiful wife sitting there with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or whatever waiting for me to dig it.

That's the greatest for me.  Being able to fish and have a wife that just says, "I don't care if you go fishing honey, just be careful and call me when you get a chance"  How sweet is that!  And we've only been married for just over a year.  Sounds like I found the perfect catch

LoveGlove United
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: