Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!!

Author
hubie30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/30 09:00:02 (permalink)

Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!!

About a month ago a friend of mine caught and released a 24inch 6lb smallmouth at a certain spot in lake arthur.  An unbelievable specimen a fish of a lifetime.  10days later I was in a boat at the exact same spot and I see a man wading I asked him if he caught anything and he holds up a 24 inch smallmouth on a stringer.  I cant verify that he kept it but he did not release it immediately which is what the regulations demand.
Now you are probably going to ask if I said anything to this person.  I did not because I was confused about the big bass regulations and thought you were allowed to keep 1 fish over 20 inches per day during the closed season.  By the time we got out the regulations book and saw the guy was illegally poaching some of the best genetics in the lake.  The guy packed it up and walked away.  It literally made me want to vomit.
      Keeping that fish doesn't even make sense.  It is too old to taste good all the guy is going to do is brag to his friends that he illegally kept the fish and then freeze it for a year and throw it away.  If any body on this board knows who that guy is turn him in to the fish commission.  Because i am sure he will do it again.  It is stupid people like him that ruin the fishing for everyone. 
Dear poacher:  If you are on here you are not the first to catch that fish you were just the idiot who did not have the foresight to release it so it could pass on its genetics to future generations.

Tight lines
HUbie

4 Replies Related Threads

JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!! 2007/05/30 11:08:13 (permalink)
    This has always makes me mad.  I always fish for bass when they are out of season but never have I kept one.  I fish for them because they are easier to catch and you can catch alot of them.  I always said if I caught a big enough one I would take its measurements and get a fiberglass mount as well as let the fish go.  You'd be surprised at how many people keep fish out of season.  Its often made me want to look into joining the fish commision and doing the job of stopping poachers myself.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!! 2007/05/30 13:40:45 (permalink)
    Hubie,

You have all the right in the world to be mad that he kept a fish out of season. But your views on being a C & R guy are off the mark. I too, like to see breeder fish put back into the water, but if someone wants to keep a legal fish, in season for the frying pan, wall mount or etc... Thats their right. Who are you/we  to judge them!  I release 99.9% of my fish, but If I want to keep one for the wall now & again, thats my right as a law abiding licesned angler. I know what you are going to say, what about fiberglass reproductions, thats fine for some people, but personally I like skin mounts. I release hundreds of fish a year, but If I keep one once in a while for the trophy wall, I don't think that hurts. But these are just my thoughts. 
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!! 2007/05/30 14:37:14 (permalink)
    man thats pretty lame
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Monster SMallmouth caught in Lake Arthur AND KEPT!!! 2007/05/30 15:51:44 (permalink)
    I think everyone caught that fish.  A friend of mine caught it too.  The pic. is on here somewhere.  I heard about that guy.

Genetics, in this case, are likely not a factor as much as age.  It's the same with whitetailed deer; people seem to think they pop out with 200" antlers if they have good genetics.

The fish may have had excellent genes, but it probably had quite a few previous years to pass them on.  Genetics do not change with age as they are innate.  A seven foot man doesn't get good genes after he reaches seven foot, he's born with them.

However, it's still a shame.  That is certainly a fish of a lifetime.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: