Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio

Author
McFishin
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 199
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/21 14:51:41 (permalink)

Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio

Alright guys, i think i have a problem. not sure though.
Here's the Story:
me and my buddy have had a trail camera out since august over looking our food plot we built this summer(looks awesome by the way.clover**** wheat and rye everywhere)...we use a SD card and a big 6volt so we dont have to check it that often...after checking it 3 times since beginning of september we have noticed something....NO DOES!...we have gotten pictures of 12 bucks so far....1) 10 point scoring in the 160's which my friend shot last evening and is looking for now.2) 9 point scoring in the 140 range. 3)10 more smaller bucks ranging anywhere from a couple of spikes to a couple of small basket rack 8 points. out of the hundreds of pictures we've gotten we have pics of these 12 bucks over and over again but in all the pictures we've got we've counted a total of 4 does(and even those 4 might be the same(2) mom and milker over again)...i know most places the doe's greatly out number the bucks but is it healthy for the bucks to greatly outnumber the doe's?...never had this problem before....

4 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio 2008/10/21 15:18:46 (permalink)
    I don't think it's fair to judge deer numbers or ratio's by cam pics.  I'll admit to you, I've got some "bucky" areas where doe generally don't travel.  If the bucks are still there this time of year, there's doe around.  Another thing, you should be finding lots of half racks if it were true.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio 2008/10/21 16:00:20 (permalink)
    I used to hunt on a hill side and in years of hunting there, if I sat in a spot near the top of the hill, I either saw no deer at all, or bucks.  I could see does near the bottom of the hill, like 100 yards away, but they never came by near the the top of the hill where my stand was.  I dont know why this was the case, but I'll bet if I had a camera near the top of the hill, I'd get only pictures of bucks.  So, as Silver said, I dont think camera pics (especially one camera in one place) gives an accurate idea of ratios.

Even so, it sounds like a good problem to have!
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio 2008/10/21 16:28:02 (permalink)
    thanks for the input guys!...that all makes sense because i've noticed that before.had a stand by my house that all i would see was bucks, down the hollow, doe's......but my problem here is that the entire ridgeline, valley, and adjacent(across the 4-lane highway) is all the same..last year we hunted on that side and in a weeks time we saw 4 bucks and no doe...maybe just having some good luck?
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Healthy Buck/Doe Ratio 2008/10/22 14:17:33 (permalink)
    There's a fairly good ratio, but not enough overall numbers, at least in 2F, where I live & hunt.
    Jump to: