crunching numbers

Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 10:48:16 (permalink)

crunching numbers

I've been reading the various posts concerning the rather low deer numbers in "most" parts of the state. Checked the given stats on the DCNR site to try to come up with a figure of forest and inhabitable cover that a deer could live in. 17 million acres of forest and "about" 7 million acres of other types of cover. 24 million acres that could hold deer. This figures to about 37,500 sq. miles. If we used the figure of 20 deer per sq. mile as an example; which is much higher than the foresters recommend for a healthy forest, we would come up with 750,000 total deer in the state. Even with reproduction at a normal rate; these are the numbers that were published by the  PGC for total harvest for last 3 years, 323,000,361,000, and 354,000. Thats over a million deer. My point is; some one is full of it. The PGC own site claims that the deer herd will replenish itself by 30% each year. What happens to the total number when you kill off almost 50% each year? STEADY DECLINE!!!!!!

16 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 11:10:43 (permalink)

Kinzua Quality
    Deer Cooperative
    McKean County
    Infrared Aerial Deer Survey

This area is part of the Kinzua Quality Deer Cooperative, where landowners and hunters are working cooperatively to benefit the forest habitat and the local community. Extensive studies are being done to document responses in habitat health and the deer herd to management practices. Deer were distributed more evenly across this area than on most state forestland surveyed. This is most likely because of the less mountainous topography typical of the Allegheny Plateau and more consistent forest habitat. Deer densities averaged around 10 per square mile, with maximum concentrations of 16 to 17. Most deer were observed along drainages.

Area
    Acres
    Sq. Miles
    Date
    Completed
    Deer Seen
    Avg. Deer /
    Sq. Mile
    Highest
    Density

KQDC North
    7-Apr-06

KQDC South
    7-Apr-06

YEP--that's what happens--look at the numbers for the 70,000 acre area both the PGC and DCNR were hyping as the best example of the corect way to manage deer. Average of 9.5 per sq. mile and falling, that's why the PGC changed from claiming 18-20 dpsm was ideal and started using criteria that would make any number the correct one.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 11:35:39 (permalink)
    S-10..

I just love debating with you  and we have been doing it for years now....

I appreicate your efforts in posting things to support your opinions VERY much...

But as you know their are other reports that differ and it's that way with most studies and reports.. different folks  have different opinions and they find a way into their thoughts on the studies..

As for the infra-red... and you know this too because Merlin Brenner of DCNR was active in posting on my board about those studies and I am sure you read his comments..

Those only showed  the number of deer on a given day at a given location.. another day/location COULD have shown different numbers...

But they gave us an idea of the number of deer in the area...just an overall IDEA !!!

An area full of Oak and acorns will have a different number of deer than an area 5 miles away with no oaks or acorns... you do agree on that right ???

I repeat for the  ?? time .. it's about food

using criteria that would make any number the correct one.

Now that's funny I don't care what you say... get-r-done

They are now using a compare the habitat available to the number of deer it will support as their basis... instead of any dpsm....

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 12:17:26 (permalink)
    what i don't understand is if there wern't hunters killing thousands of deer a year than what would happen? they would keep reproducing and when there wasn't enough habitat the reproducing would slow down steading itself right?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 12:52:01 (permalink)
    YES.... and the "field checks " of road-killed does  in FEB and March that the WCOs do is starting to show that more does are getting bred and more are carring twins than in the past....

Now before S-10 jumps in l

let me say this....

The PGC is surprised it IS NOT what they thought it was going to be and want to continue monitoring it and try to see why...

My thoughts....  the re-genration is not exactly what they thought it would be either at this point and in some areas like here in 2F.. there are still too many does.... and especially in SGL#54.. re-genration is not keeping pace with areas like Clear Creek and SGL#44....
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 12:53:05 (permalink)
    LUNCH TIME !!!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 12:54:23 (permalink)
    I wonder if the survey takes into account how many deer you will cripple in relation to each one you kill???
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 13:01:15 (permalink)
    its probly different in 2f than here in mercer county because it seems like we should be able to support a bigger herd theres a ton of corn soy bean and other stuff the farmers grow and seems like theres a ton of apples and acorns on the ground  so what i'm tryen to get to is do you think the farmers complaining play a bigger role in this area then the accual forest since most of there feeding is on there crops
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 13:25:59 (permalink)
    At a recnt PGC meeting in Harrisburg that I attended there were those from the farming community that testified...and YES... they were still complaining about too many deer eating their crops and effecting their income...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 13:37:16 (permalink)
    sugar..

Mercer County is an interesting study....

Since Mercer county and Lawercne make up most of WMU 1A

I took Mercer and Lawernce and added their total deer harvest prior to HR/AR
    together and compared that to the WMUs harvest figures the PPGC is now using....

That is one area that has NOT shown a DRASTIC reduction in harvested deer... so you may be right the habitat both ag and forest must be supporting about the same number of deer.. at least based on harvest figures...
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 13:54:29 (permalink)
    If your a farmer and there is one deer left in the entire state and that deer is eating your row of sweet corn it's one damm deer too many.  If your a forester and that same lonely deer is eating an oak sprout you want him dead. If your an insurance company and he walks in front of one of your clients cars the damm things are everywhere. If your the Audubon he is destroying songbird habitat and needs to be taken care of---unless of course he is on Audubon property in which case isn't he adorable and don't you dare hurt him.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 14:04:01 (permalink)
    As for the infra-red... and you know this too because Merlin Brenner of DCNR was active in posting on my board about those studies and I am sure you read his comments..

Sure did----It's interesting that the company doing the survey claims 90/95 % accuracy, the western states that have used it believe it is 85/95 accurate and the DCNR claims it as low as 50% after they found out it wasn't showing the number of deer they had been telling everyone there were out there. There are also some claims the pilot was told to fly over a deer farm and add those to the count. Hummmm
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 14:11:29 (permalink)
    s10 that is there thinking around here and i don't understand how the numbers can be the same because alot of ppl i know arn't getting deer and i spend a lot of time in the woods and arnt seeing the deer i use to so they have to be lower don't get me wrong still deer   i've only sat on stand 4 out of 11 times with outseeing nething and the times i did see deer i only saw 1-4 deer and i've also put a lot of time in and as far as the antler restrictions i do believe they are working i've been seeing alot of bigger bucks last year and this year and the ratio they want has to be close if not there because personally i've seen just about as many bucks as does
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 14:15:03 (permalink)
    It's interesting that the company doing the survey claims 90/95 & accuracy,

That claim means only one thing....

The results are 90-95% accurate that that is how many deer were THERE at that time in the area that the infra-red picked up..... It in no way meams that they are 90/95% accurate that's how many deer are in that entire forest.. WMU... or even on that farm.... that's what the infra-red showed where it was pointed...

so that 90% COULD MEAN THEY MISSED ONE..  instead of  10 in that area there were 11.....

Making way to much out of that study...IMHO
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 14:25:32 (permalink)
    Oh boy.....

Why do folks think that if there are 10 deer in a square mile they should see all 10.... ????

Most hunters never cover a whole square mile when hunting.. especially if they stop for any length of time....

Find a place where they are doing a pellet count.. see how long it takes ,
    at least considering what your eyes sees as you do the up and down routes.. you cover pretty darn close to an entire square mile.....

And in rifle season there is not enough daylight to cover that square mile completely... you may walk 10 miles but that does not mean you covered a SQUARE MILE.... just walking the outside edges would be 4 miles...and you may not see one single deer...

BUT..

10 deer could be standing 400 yards away from your travel route around the outside and you would never see them...

My favorite story is from 2004.. a husband and wife team hunted here... I posted him  on one side of a ridge his wife about 400 yards away on the other side.. she saw 15 he saw ZERO...... so how many are in the surrounding sqaure mile ??????

zero... 15.. or maybe even more ?????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/20 14:26:22
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 16:15:33 (permalink)
    You keep trying to defend them don't you. If you remember the reason they decided to do the infra red study was because there were so many critics of their claims of lots of deer based on their pellet count. Many people said the pellet count was flawed and could be manuplated by counting in wintering areas or near crop fields. The PGC/DCNR said the infra red study would confirm their pellet count numbers. Well guess what---the infra red study showed there to be only about half the number of deer they claimed.  So being the slippery politicans they are they discreated the infra study---HOW - by citing as proof the very pellet counts the critics were questioning to begin with and claiming the infra red study to be off by as much as 50%.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: crunching numbers 2008/10/20 19:46:50 (permalink)
    I do not pretend to defend DCNR.. as you said they are too political motivated
    for my taste.. they have their own agenda.. however I do appreciate my contacts there that help with answers to questions related to deer and habitat

I will however defend pellet counts.. I have been on several... and think they provide a good idea as to the deer population in any given area..

You made one good point .. a pellet count "could" be manipulated as you state.. the ones I have been a part of were not in neither of those type areas.. the one I devoted an entire webpage to was done in a "housing community"..
    Treasure Lake near DuBois..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/20 19:49:03
    Jump to: