Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Smoothy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/19 21:58:59 (permalink)

Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort

Our first project of two will begin this Thursday October 24th thru Saturday the 26th. We'll begin @ 8 A.M.. Any willing souls available during the day are invited to come and help. We will start this first 1000' project at the Beaufort's bridge for those who know the area. For those wanting to know where that may be send me an email and I'll get you there! We're excited. After 10 years of pushing for this we have pushed thru all the red tape by teaming up with the "Western Pennsylvania Conservancy". Thes two projects will be the start of many to come. I'll be posting before, during and after photos on our website, www.tubmilltroutclub.org . Also our annual fundraiser raffle ticket, a $20 for 20 night on the PA evening daily number, Nov 1-20 is available. Check everything mentioned on our website.   

52 Replies Related Threads

Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2008/11/09 12:55:11 (permalink)
    All has been completed with our first project. Now we wait to see the physical changes these devices promise. A second project was conducted the following week removing an old "jack dam". Next spring has a scheduled makeover project upstream from the "jack dam" removal. Fish Commission designers say the winter flow period will reset the natural streambed configeration. After reseting, the first of many projects will be built along this high profile and popular fishing area. Already many landowners have shown interest in participating with this agenda. I get the feeling they like receiving something in return from the many years of open fishing through their prvate ground and  help with property erosion. This may be a good P.R. avenue for compatible private owner's rights and the stream's use by the public. 
    Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/22 19:38:24 (permalink)
    Another 500' project completed and two 1500' pasture fencing projects completed as well. The western pennsylvania conservancy had these projects done with their labor and volunteered help. Does anybody know of donors that would like to support such an initiative. We are a 501c-3 affiliated organization. More projects being scheduled. Check (pictures) us out at http://www.tubmilltroutclub.org
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/22 22:22:51 (permalink)
    Smoothy,

why has the trout stocking been discontinued?  Even if 25 people join the club, can't you just stock alot less fish?  Declining membership is no reason to stop stocking trout, you just stock less of them. 

Untill the locals around here realize that is OK to catch and release, we will never have any fish in the stream if the trout club doesn't keep stocking.  by day 3 of the season, the stream will be barren if the state is the only stocking entity.

I am a member of the club, by the way....

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 03:16:40 (permalink)
    trashcan man is right
    chase
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 10:37:42 (permalink)
    The majority of the folks that I have met that belong to the Tubmill Trout Club are really outstanding individuals!  I used to be a member, sold tickets and cleaned up the stream banks, but quit due to the "meat" mentality of a few locals.

Fishing @ Midget camp, I witnessed two "gentlemen" that had over 30 trout on their stringer.  The ironic point of their conservation was that they were complaining that there were no fish left in the hole!

The other issue with stocking these streams that multiple individuals catch large # of trout and transport them by containers to steams/ponds that they have on their private property.  Rest assured this was not the intention of the club.  By the way, these bodies of water are posted by the land owenr!

Again, just stating facts and not bad mouthing the club -Pelase remember that there a lot of guys that do a ton for the community streams and the Kids that enjoy fishing!
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 16:10:03 (permalink)
    I agree that there are alot of dirt bags that keep every fish they catch.  You should see the looks I get when I throw a 17" trout back!!  I shame alot of them into throwing some back b/c I never keep any and am fairly vocal about it.

None the less,  I don't think that it is worth punishing the paying members by not stocking fish due to the indescretions of some of the local neanderthals.    That trout stream is one of the two reasons that I haven't sold my house in that crap hole town yet.....

PLEASE reinstate the stocking program.  Lets work on getting the stream classified as delayed harvest or artificial lures only.... SOMETHING.. but that stream is too good of a resource to let it go.   The state doesn't stock enough fish to handle the doodle-bugs that keep 50 fish each the first week. I can name names.......

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    cohoking
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 16:34:02 (permalink)
    I think the club is doing the right thing in putting the money toward the stream projects....you could stock enough trout to please many people.  The more structure the more fish will be around after the first day. 

Would love to see a co-op formed by several of these clubs.  Imagine if Little mahoning, two-lick, yellow creek formed a Co-op.  As it is now Blackleggs gets more fish than these three streams!  The same could be done with tub mill and loyalhanna.  No reason they couldnt raise 20,000 each. 
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 17:11:57 (permalink)
    Stream structure will definately help, but not alot when the commission backs a truck in to the stream and dumps fish 5 holes the night before the opener.  The fish have no time to move around and the locals destroy 75% of the stock the first day.... I see it every year....

juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 22:19:53 (permalink)
    ehh you know im a proud member of the club who is activily involved but people have been taking advantage of our generosity to much lately. as much as i hate to say it i think a year off would be good to show all the people what the club really does and show the people how many fish actually get stocked by the fish commission. i think people would appreciate it more after they see a year without us stocking. everytime we stock people **** about the sizes, the numbers we put in and the spots we put them in. These are the same people who arnt members who come form all over and keep everything they get legally and illegally. True alot of people from the area do the same as well.

We arnt perfect we stock tons of holes and spread the fish out as best we can i would say that 99% of the holes on the creek get stocked everytime we do stock. THe other 1% that dont get stocked is because we dont have any access to those spots without walking 100 yards down the creek with a bucket but we do put them above thr hole in ripples to get the fish thier. The other thing we do is put the amount of fish in a hole that it can sustain. What i mean is we dont throw 100 fish in a 2inch muddle puddle. The bigger holes get more fish then smaller ones. Its like we spoiled everyone you could say we put so many fish in its almost impossible not to catch fish when you go out unless you arnt that good. But even so ti does happen and you would be suprised how many people come up and say "how comes you didnt put any fish in my hole" after we just put in say 40 fish 10 mins before that its just that they didnt catch them right away. To many people expect after we stock to throw a line in and a fish jump on it.

SO many different complaints on the things we do and the lack of help is main factors why. Its a shame i know this but hey a year off to show what we did might get some to quit taking advantage of a great resource they had. All good things have to come to a end eventually just maybe thier will be a new beginning. You also got to remember the club was started for stream improvements and maybe stocking so the stcking were a bonus.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 22:42:13 (permalink)
    You make a good point, maybe a year off will help the people wake up a bit and appreciate it more, because I certainly do.

But in regards to the stocking distribution, are you aware of the dam that was put up below beafort's bridge to stop any fish from moving up or down stream?  I am SURE that is in total violation of the fish commission's rules because it stops all fish from migrating up and down the stream. 

I would support any efforts made to get the stream under a new classification that would make it tougher to pull fish out of there, whether it is artificial lure only, delayed harvest, fly fishing only....something like that.  The behavior of so many people on that stream is really dispicable.  They take their 5 8-10" fish and run to the car, giggling, like they just pulled a gold bar out of the stream and then they come back and do it again. 

my butt-munch neighbor takes the whole first week off and goes out and gets a limit for himself, his kid, his buddy and his daughter (100 fish atleast) and then has a fish fry.  The only cook the tails, for God's sake... a total waste..... What can  be done about that?

juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 23:27:25 (permalink)
    i know they had a dam at beaforts last year actually liek 2 or 3 but since were taking down. Did they put in a new one this year casue i havnt been there to fish thus year to discustign ,, i giht have to drive the 3 miles down road and checkit out
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/23 23:33:16 (permalink)
    the buried two telephone pole across the stream and the water trickles through, in between them.  They put 450 fish in those two holes for kids day.... what the hell???  

then the 'class of westmoreland county' all lined up that sunday morning to catch the ~200 that were left and had no where to go....

what good are stream improvements if they post the ground and then dam up the stream??????

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 00:36:34 (permalink)
    there's no hope for any improvement in terms of holding trout longer than a few days at Tubmill fellas... It's the fishmas eve(party) mecca of all generations.  That attitude, nor the crowd and their ways, will never change.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 16:20:09 (permalink)
    haha, you have heard of their 'fishmas eve' party??

You must be a real local then.....

I live right in bolivar, but I just moved to the area 4 years ago....

chase
    New Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 16:31:00 (permalink)
    I watched the locals drop lines in the water as they stocking truck was dumping fish in the water.  My 8 year old son made the remark:

"Dad, that isn't real fishing."

If you ever had the opportunity to attend fisherman's eve, you can verify the following...

dozen worms $1.50
    case of budwiser $19.00
    Too drunk to teach you kid how to fish

Priceless!
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 17:31:57 (permalink)
    yup, that's the locals... the lines are in the water as the fish are spilling off the truck...... I joke about it all the time.  That's why I fish the conemaugh in stead.....

Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 18:42:23 (permalink)
    Happy to see all the concern about TTC. May I explain a few things since I am the fearless leader. Don't read to much into this guys it's quite simple.
    The help has dwindled to a choice handful of guys that keep after it no matter what people say be it kind or not, insulting or complimentary. We recognize there will always be the takers in society and those at the other end of the spectrum that throw donations at us because they like what's goin on and they might show up once a season. Actually we need a break, a relax time. With more helpers things could go easier.
    High class is correct in saying no fish shall be in the stream 3 days after the state stocks. They stock 7 holes in Tubmill and 5 in Hendricks then head for home. Stock em at the bridges. Some people have given me heck saying the state does not stock as many because TTC stocks. Well, if that is the case our streams our way ahead in fish count with TTC. We have an actual list posted on our website showing where and how many are placed every single time we stock. ( SEE PAGE HERE )And both streams, in their entire length are stocked, every time approx 11 mile.
    Our paid membership has never been any more than 350 paid from a roster of 500 plus people who have been members one year or another. Doing the math at $20 a head we had only $7000.00 at most to spend on trout. TTC would double the member money by selling fundraiser tickets bringing the budget to $14000.00 annually. More recent years have had 150-180 members but we still stayed with the 12-16K budget for stocking. This is where the burnout comes selling tickets with fewer people willing to sell them. I would sell as many as 250 $20 tickets myself ! People got to hate seeing me come around, I think that was the reason.
    Anyway the remaining projects with stream improvement (see here) will go on maybe with our help and always with the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy group and their committed staff. Yes there are other concerns that have added to the shutdown for 2010 trout season and with time all might change. Feelings have been bruised by attitudes of a few, and those that are may get over it also. These are just a ****ed trout. Go have fun! In which ever way you wish, legally though. I may shake my head at some fishermen for breakin necks and they may shake their head about me for tossin them back. Just enjoy things for what they are. Different fishermen want differing things all the time. Some want bigger fish, some want more pan sized for eating. Some don't kill but take thier catch to private ponds. Some, including myself catch and release. One group has a section of stream always for younger fishermen "kids", catch and release. So yes you'll see trout transportation from fishermen, but do know that TTC does not stock these sections. That is not right to place fish where paying members can't fish. And if the legal limits are being violated, pinch-em! That's another story. We don't see any enforcement help, never. So this stream being stocked by our PFBC only keeps the throngs of fishermen coming under the guise of " the state stocks this, i don't have to be a member". Many things are being considered as we ponder how TTC will return.
    My thoughts return to delayed harvest for all stocked streams since fewer trout are being placed by PFBC protect the resource for a time. How about starting the season earlier. I have advocated that for 8 years on chat sites for economic and logistical reasons. That's coming, seeing it happen in the eastern half of Pa the past two seasons. How about me running for PFBC regional representation, yes vote me in! Is there a vote for that? Any questions please ask.
    And the fishmas eve party being refered to is nothing of TTC's. That is guys whom bought there own fish and placed them for the first day in the Hendricks Run. What fish are left are for everyone. The fish count goes up again.
    We are open to suggestion and committed people....
    post edited by Smoothy - 2009/06/24 22:41:30
    juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 21:52:44 (permalink)
    true story
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:13:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

haha, you have heard of their 'fishmas eve' party??

You must be a real local then.....

I live right in bolivar, but I just moved to the area 4 years ago....

you live right in bolivar? ....

stumble inn frequenter?
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:43:49 (permalink)
    stumble inn???  lol no way.  I walked in there once in my work cloths (business casual) and they ran me out of the place.  I am the "high class rich b1tch'' in town  with the new company car and a canoe. lol.....  I have a large house and everyone thinks I have money.  To them, my $100K house is the mansion in town and I am the hated outsider.    The biggest issue is that i am in the 25% of the town people that isnt on a gov't paycheck for welfare, disability or unemployment.

Quite a friendly bunch around here... (SARCASM laced in that statement)

Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:44:39 (permalink)
    Are you thinking that "Fishmas Eve" is a TTC sponsored event? We don't start our stocking program till the first weekend. Heck I'm at Tionesta for the first day.
    Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:48:53 (permalink)
    Canoe on the conemaugh. I never see anyone when were on it.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:52:06 (permalink)
    Smoothy,

YOu make good points and I hope that something can be worked out.  I have been a non-member for the previous couple years (my first 2 fishing here), but I didnt catch a trout my first year and I didnt keep anything my second year.  I usually fished for the stragglers that were running for the river b/c no one fishes the stretch from the bridge in town, to the river.  I have always done well, thanks in FULL to the TTC stocking.  I am/was a member this year, but only got to fish 4 days to-date, so I hope it isn't the last that I have seen from the TTC stockings.

You have a willing body here to help with whatever is needed, as long as I can get it fit into my busy work/family schedule.

HCH

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:53:49 (permalink)
    I know that fishmas eve is not a TTC event... that is a straight-up redneck celebration.

I do try to canoe the conemaugh, about 5 times a year, but my fishing buddy moved away last week and I dont like to run teh river myself... so I need some new fishing  buddies for the river.

What sections do you run?

I have launched at 4 different areas so far. 

Smoothy
    Avid Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 22:59:27 (permalink)
    I live in New Florence, from there to Bolivar. Stop over at Waynes market in Robinson and talk to Chris. He's my sidekick and he got the canoes.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 23:03:38 (permalink)
    I have launched over the bank at the bridge in NF, at the train bridge down 9th street and at lockport (another dive over the bank).  I have also floated from bolivar down to blairsville.  That is a very nice float.   I have a new fishing kayak set up that I want to try out. 

dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/24 23:04:05 (permalink)
    a mention of the towns of robinson and bolivar on the fisherie board, a first for sure.
    chase
    New Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/25 07:38:01 (permalink)
    Has anyone heard about catching muskie up in Seward?
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tubmill Trout Club Stream Improvement Effort 2009/06/25 15:45:37 (permalink)
    robinson, bolivar, newflo, and seward all packed into one. lol, geez. 

Anyone been down to preacher's lately?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: