Slow cold day w/ a few good fish.

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/18 22:10:18 (permalink)

Slow cold day w/ a few good fish.

Since my Saturday plans fell through (was supposed to be in CT) i made a few last minute calls last night. Santaman was up for hitting some water this afternoon. We didn't even get out until 10:30 or so, still cool, but sun was out.

We leave launch, i start right out with a jig on the out side of the weed edge. On my 3rd drop something did not feel right, so i set the hook and boated a nice LMB.

Just a short while later Paul pick this one up on a top water frog, still alot of thick pads.

I was like sweet, it's going to be one of those days.

Man was i wrong, we spent hours with nothing. Missed a few jig bites, picked up a few shorties (jig & spinnerbait) ... and a very small smallie hit a jig. VERY SLOW afternoon.

As we made our way back to the launch i noticed a nice tree that extended a long way into the water. Couldn't pass it up ... and was rewarded with this nice jig fish ...

That was it, when the wind was calm it was very nice out (just not often enough) there was a good breeze going most of the time, and it was cold

Really winding down up here

7 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/19 18:35:51 (permalink)
    Nice bass again guys. I winterized my boat already. Probably a week or 2 too soon. Better than last year though, freezing up my motor all winter, and paying $400 for repairs in the spring.

Any ice yet?

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/19 18:48:50 (permalink)
    Good to see there still biting - all me cold weather went up in smoke in the fire - so Brian what size thermals are ya ? 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/20 02:40:31 (permalink)
    I'll be fishing right up thru and past Turkey Day.  Hell, I will probably fish ON Thankgiving this year...

After all- there is no entertainment watching Detroit *OR* Dallas this year, right?  (Sorry Brian- but still- I would be a Broncos or Bills fan if I were you)

Anyway- if anyone wants to rock Snyders Lake one of these days, get in touch.  I am gone the 26-30 while I will be in Houston (someone has to save the planet, right?) I would love a little company as I getskunked during the summer/fall transistion.

I can, however, catch a buttload of minnows (emerald shiners) for my pet bass this time of year.  Every night I can get three or four in just a few minutes.  And 'Norman' is fattening up. 

Hope you guys are great.  Oh yeah- I am on Skanaeatles Lake right now.  Fishing tomorrow.  Also might hit the Mohawk from shore for a few casts down the Thruway back to Albany.  Hell, I've got all afternoon- and just hot up Bass Pro Shops in Auburn for a few hundred bucks on my way out this afternoon.

By the way- GO RAYS!!!!!!!

Jimmy

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/20 18:51:28 (permalink)
    You certainly get around! Heard that finger lk. has nice rainbow and is the cleanest of the FL .. i want to try whitney point from shore before ice.. anybody ever fish that place ?  anyway i am glad all still catching fish and having fun.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/20 18:56:42 (permalink)
    reel what happened? you serious? sorry to hear this tragedy.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/21 17:12:35 (permalink)
    Reel Force-

While I was trying to keep from posting this on the internet- the follwoing statement might be applicable right now:

You left a pair of your underwear at my house after the party this summer.  I left them out front for a few days, but the Center for Disease Control came by and hauled off the shorts while wearing HazMat suits.

Otherwise, I would get 'em to you to resupply what has been lost.

And oh yeah- I will get in touch this week.  Been 'in the woods' for awhile and work has me really busy.  I am only back in NY for a few days and then off to Houston until next Tuesday.  Yes, it is my 'busy time' again.

But I had all summer to screw around, and I am still fishing every night when I get home to the lake.  The walleyes are really turning on, the smallmouth are still biting, but the largemouths are virtually non-existant.

I may need some help from you cold-weather cowboy fans to pass along some suggestions.

Anyway- hope you guys are doing GREAT.  Won't be long until the auger comes out, but my boat will be at my dock until I pull BOTH out sometime at the end of next month.  Water is still clear and hasn't turned over yet.

Some good fishing ahead, Gentlemen...  Good fishing, indeed...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Slow cold day w/ a few good fish. 2008/10/21 20:15:54 (permalink)
    but the largemouths are virtually non-existant.

Oh they are there my friend.

I may need some help from you cold-weather cowboy fans to pass along some suggestions.

I would start with a 1/2 jig (i prefer black) , after that i would suggest a black 1/2 jig  ... if no fish right away , repeat steps 1 & 2 LOL !!!!

Exspecially directly across from your place, drop them down those rocky areas and steep banks. Also find the weed edges anywhere from 8'-20'
    If they don't grab it on the fall, let it sit and hop it a few times.

PM me your schedual for the next couple of weekends, still want to hook up dude !!
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2008/10/21 20:17:03
    Jump to: