Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/25 23:27:55 (permalink)

flies to invest in for the first day of trout

I want to use flies only this first day of trout kinda wanna make it a challenge on myself.   Ive invested in wooly buggers, clousers, phasent tails, san jaun worms, and some stone fly nymph type flies.  what flies would you recommend i use on the first day? Im going to be fishing in Confluence, Pa on the Yough and laural hill creek. this is my first time fishing that area on the first day and with flies any help or advice will be appreciated.

Louis

53 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/26 08:41:39 (permalink)
    I'd use anything bright.  San Jauns are a good way to go.  Green Weenies will get some interest too.  I have done pretty well on maggot immitations and egg patterns.  For some reason, the freshly stocked trout love what the bait shops sell.  So immitating regular bait, seems to do it.  Once they get imprinted into the stream, and see what a stonefly nymph or a helgremite is, then start throwing them.  You are fishing some spots that seem to have fishing pressure almost year round.  Tossing something "natural" would probably be your best bet for a hold over, but they stock them pretty big there, so no real reason to target holdovers.  Keep an eye on some of the local fly hatch charts.  If you get a nice sunny day, chances are, you'll hit some type of hatch.  Two years ago, the top water action was really fun where I was at.  I'm pretty sure they were some type of mayfly.  Just about anything their size was working.  #10 & 12 Bluewing olives, elk hair caddis, and some type of mayfly immitation that I was throwing was all getting hits.  Probably only hooking 1 out of every 4-5 strikes though.  I'm sure, those that knew what the bugs were, would have had a better fly to throw and better action.

IMO- You are most likely going to be more challanged with the fly gear, early in the season.  Once the fish get settled in, I think that challange turns into advantage.  I'd imagine since below the dam holds many more fish that have been there for a while, you should do just fine. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/26 19:09:56 (permalink)
    You can take this one to the bank kyler...

Ive had 100+ fish days for the past 3 seasons opening day swinging wets! Learn it... It doesnt take fish long to acclomate to the stream. Honestly, every fly I tie with the intention of catching STOCKED fish falls into the following

1: WETS!!!!!!
    2: Egg Patterns
    3: Generic Nymphs(hares ear, pheasant tails)
    4: Streamers
    5: Caddis- there dumb enough to eat anything, miles well fish somthing big! 12-14
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/03/26 19:10:32
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/27 13:26:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Kyler,
    Pheasant tails, gold ribbed hares ear, prince nymphs and bead heads odf any kind will catch anything that swims stocked or wild. I like to use maggot fly patterns. Fish a tandem rig with an egg pattern first then a nymph trailer...Fish On!!!!

What anadromous said.  And I'll add san juan worms to that.

IF you want to fish dry flies in that area all you'll need is a tan elk hair caddis, #14 or 16 and a #16 parahute Adams.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/27 14:59:55 (permalink)

Kyler,
    Pheasant tails, gold ribbed hares ear, prince nymphs and bead heads odf any kind will catch anything that swims stocked or wild. I like to use maggot fly patterns. Fish a tandem rig with an egg pattern first then a nymph trailer...Fish On!!!!

now heres where I get confused, should I weight any of those tandoms?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/27 15:08:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

Kyler,

now heres where I get confused, should I weight any of those tandoms?

When you nymph, always use enough shot to keep your flies bouncing on the bottom of the stream. If you arent periodically getting hung up on the bottom, use more weight. Also, place an indicator, roughly1.5 - 2 times the depth of the water, above your shot.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 01:56:20 (permalink)
    thanks guys im really ready to do a total switch over from bait fishing to fly fishing.  I never took time before to understand the flies completely but im getting more and more used to it. Cant wait to get stationed some where and then I can invest in big time equipment... right now Im using my very first fly rod its about as old as i am. but still gets the job done. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 09:37:27 (permalink)
    I cannot believe that Im the only one to mention wet flies, you guys are really missing the boat if your not fishing them... hell last time me and drake fished SC, I had a fish take a wet so hard it took the fly line upstream!
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 09:48:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I cannot believe that Im the only one to mention wet flies, you guys are really missing the boat if your not fishing them... hell last time me and drake fished SC, I had a fish take a wet so hard it took the fly line upstream!

I use wets and use them regularly on the same streams as kyler will be fishing.  However, if he's looking to start out, it's easy to overwhelm with too many options.  Really, if he's looking to get the feel of the flyrod and catch a few fish while figuring out how to get a good drift, nymphs are all he needs.  We could also add in streamers and emergers and cripples and spinners and scuds/sowbugs and crawfish and helrgammites and comparduns vs. Catskills Vs. Parachutes, etc., but that would be information overload for a beginner, you know?  I was trying to keep it to a minimum # of flies and to keep it simple.  It's really all you need to do there.

All that said, wets are extremely effective, and they are pretty easy to fish.  I like Leadwing Coachman and Hare's Ear Wets.
    post edited by D-nymph - 2007/03/28 09:49:09
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 10:44:08 (permalink)
    I wasnt trying to overwhelm him eaither, I was saying by far, wets to me seem the most productive out of anything  especially leadwings! Now for natives, the leadwing doesnt seem to be enough, you gotta match it a little more closely.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 13:18:16 (permalink)
    Go with small white streamer patterns like a bugger or a emerald imitition of some kind.
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 14:52:46 (permalink)
    How about a McIce and a vailed spawn!
    post edited by Catching Chrome - 2007/03/28 14:53:15
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 14:53:36 (permalink)
    McICE!
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 15:20:43 (permalink)
    I know the feel of the fly rod pretty well and the casting parts.....its just understanding the flies. Which wet flies should I look for at gander or the local bait shop.  another guy told me to buy a couple Green wennies or what ever so I got 2 of them and I have some stone flies. yea alot of this info you guys are giving me is going in my tiny note book I take with me and mark down what flies do what and what I catch with them....refrences I can use for later dates. I appreciate all the info.... I know I should learn most of it on my own but I dont want to be throwing flies that make no sense., what about Clousers? i have 3 of them and I had good strikes up at spring creek on them but always missed the hook set. 
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 15:46:52 (permalink)
    Kyler, have you been going to the fly tying classes at gander mtn?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 15:51:31 (permalink)
    Leadwing Coachmans
    Royal Coachmans

All you need for stockies in the wets, I cant really tell you what to put in your box, you gotta learn the hatches of the streams you fish.

flyfishdude
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 19:59:11 (permalink)
    Hey JLH...can you elaborate a little bit about how you are fishing wet flies? I have been fly fishing for a few years and I am learing more and more every day, but I have not really tried out wet flies.

Thanks!
    Clancie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 20:18:52 (permalink)
    Whats a McIce? Streamer, nymph ?
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 20:51:52 (permalink)
    All you need for pelletheads.Chitt fly #16.Ray
    post edited by racinray - 2007/03/28 20:52:30

Attached Image(s)

la Fish Hog
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 20:55:17 (permalink)
    The way I fish wets (and believe me I'm no expert) is like I would if I were fishing nymphs...I'll cast up and across, mend line or even high stick to get a natural drift and then let it swing and hang in the current at the end.

The most popular way, or easiest anyway, is to cast directly across, let it swing and hang in the current, adding action from strips of the line or twitches from the rod if you wish.
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 23:19:15 (permalink)
    I found that maggot immitation and egg immitations like an estaz egg or sucker spawn work really well for opening day, and i am getting into the san juan worms as well. anything natural, and if you feel like it flashy gets the job done on the stockies. have fun with it...tie your own for sure.
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/28 23:29:23 (permalink)
    CAn't wait...april 14th will be here b4 we know it

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

JohnT in PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 01:28:07 (permalink)
    I truly am no expert but I've been fly fishing for quite a few years and usually do well in the early cold water dead drifting pretty bulky size 12 sucker spawns in cream, pink or purple.  I would suggest using 2 lb. or less tippet to get the fly down quickly with the minimum required split shot.  Also keep that fly line off the water, you don't want drag.

Good fishin
    John
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 07:33:07 (permalink)
    I do about the same as ronney, except I also just full out swing them.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 15:24:45 (permalink)
    racinray is that tied yourself or do they actually sale them?
    roehoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 16:40:49 (permalink)
    kyler
    I got a Pellet-Head Fly / Tubbie Fly,and its the real McCoy

If you need help with selection,or product,I may be able to help,you........

racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 17:03:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

racinray is that tied yourself or do they actually sale them?
    Kyler,no thats one of my ties my pic..Look for some ugly looking yarn in the craft store this one has almost every color in it from greens to browns take around a minute to tie when you get everything ready..No I don't sale my flies..Ray

la Fish Hog
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 21:00:31 (permalink)

I've been reading along here with interest, since I just picked up a fly rod for the first time early last summer.  Been doing OK now and then on a delayed harvest section in southwest PA the past few weeks with single egg patterns and sucker spawn, but have yet to hook up on any of the nymphs I bought from the local fly shop: hare's ear, bead head, and black stonefly.

I've been fishing the nymphs mainly under an indicator in the slower, deeper pools with no results.  Switch to the egg or spawn, and my luck changes.  Couple of questions come to mind. 
    Should I be fishing nymphs without an indicator?  Are nymphs more productive in faster water?
    Is there kind of conditioning period that pelletheads undergo when they begin to prefer nymphs and more natural flies over the eggs and spawn patterns? 
    When you guys talk about wet flies, which patterns should I look into getting? 
    When do hatches start showing up and what dry flies should I be looking to use then?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 21:58:46 (permalink)
    rssquaresd,
    That's a good assumption . As far as why the nymphs are not working probably has more to do with the trout being recently stocked. They have no idea(yet) what a nymph is. They'll eventually "get it" when the hatches start and they learn to be trout.
    I can only guess why the egg patterns work. They seem to work best for rainbow trout and brook trout. Rainbows seem to be genetically programmed to eat eggs and brook trout are just plain stupid/aggressive.

For specific hatch matching patterns, see your local fly shop. They'll know the hatches on your streams.. With their help, you'll eventually learn what to fish where to fish it and when to fish it. It's all a learning process that really never ends. That's the cool thing about it.

Most streams will have some type of mayfly and downwing that is copied by a light cahill and /tan caddis. Probably two flies you want to copy as nymph/larvae, wet/pupa, & dry/adult.  

post edited by dano - 2007/03/29 22:01:47

Gone Fishing
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: flies to invest in for the first day of trout 2007/03/29 22:20:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Dano.  The stream I've been fishing was stocked with plenty of browns and rainbows, but most of the fish I've caught have been rainbows.  Except the day a buddy and I were throwing spinners.  Caught more browns that day, which I usually do when I'm chucking hardware on a stream.  So your guess is a pretty good one, I'd say. 

Was talking to a guy there the other day who said that later in the spring on that stream it seems like a switch is turned on and stonefly nymphs are the only thing he catches them on.  Like you said, I'm still learning and loving it.  My wife on the other hand is not so thrilled that I have a new addiction.  Haven't told her I wanna get a vise and start tying my own yet.  Gotta figure out which old addiction to drop now, cause I'm loving the challenge of learning to fly fish.  In fact I'll probably save the spinning rod for the farm pond bass this spring.  Or buy some poppers!! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: