License Increase?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
  • Reward points: 0
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/16 22:33:19 (permalink)

True the sales have gone down some, but look at the numbers still over 900,000. Do the math that alot of loot and that does not include all the other sales such as archery, muzz,exct. Mabey now some people just arn't getting as rich off of us. I may be wrong just seams to be alot of mony to spread around if done right. Like I said before I would like to see more things done for the hunters and game.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 08:00:38 (permalink)
  I see very little done in any game lands in my area.

Well let's see... are there parking lots on those game lands ??
Who maintains and cleans those..

Is the grass cut ???
Who does that..

How about a food plot or two ??
Who takes care of that..

What about signs, letting folks know this is game lands ??
Who takes care and replaces those??

I could go on and on... most of the work the land manangement crews do is not that visable... plus just how many folks do you think are on those crews and how many do we have for the entire state ??

One of the ones near me has 6.. THAT'S SIX people ....and they cover about 4 different counties.... they have about 4 pieces of equipment and at times take about a half a day just moving the equipment from one location to another...

Maybe you should find out who and how many folks are working the SGLs you are referring too... and ask what they do and why they do not do more.... heck volunteer to help  --- I'm sure they wouldn't say NO !!!!

rollcaster
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 11:15:17 (permalink)

Dr Trout I can see every time someone has has a negative oppinion about the PGC you get all worked up. I dont know why its the truth for the most part , all of these things you bring up are very minor, sighns , cutting the grass cost very little. If you say six people take care of four counties, thats my point mabey they need more. Six people taking care of four counties is cheap.Mabey you should do some research on how much money they made last year.I know it takes alot for the whole state but their making alot. I can see you dont want to hear the truth.    SORRY

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 11:57:55 (permalink)
Less then $40,000/yr to hold a job with game commission not high ranking. I would love to be an officer I just cant take a paycut like that.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 20:50:49 (permalink)
thanks jlh...

Anyone can look in the Game News in January or February and see the break down of the income and expenses etc of the PGC... obviously rollcaster has never done that...

"
six people taking care of 4 counties is cheap
????
what a silly remark..

six people taking care of the SGLs in 4 counties is IMPOSSIBLE... that's why alot is not being done...

as for the things I mentioned being "minor"...  they are part of what they do and they get paid by the hour no matter if is a minor or major project....

8 hours of cutting grass is the same as 8 hours of  painting gates.. or 8 hours of planting a food plot...

Have you ever even seen some of the food plot in the elk viewing areas ?????

As for getting more on the crews???   what are you going to pay them with....

rollcaster
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 21:48:59 (permalink)

Dr. Trout, see there you go getting all worked up. I can see there is no use arguing with you , all I was trying to say is I would like to see more done. You must agree you said it yourself "not alot is being done" . Mabey your way of thinking is silly. I can see you are very hard headed, but you are right everybody else is wrong. They have you fooled

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 22:03:25 (permalink)
yep the experts have me fooled....  and you listen to ?????
rollcaster
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/17 22:09:34 (permalink)

Wish we all could live in Dr . Trout world, deer everywhere,game comission does a great job, its perfect.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/18 07:24:04 (permalink)
Not saying everything is perfect.. but it's alot better than you are trying to lead people to believe...

Obviously I'm a the glass is...half-full person and you're the half-empty type... !!!!!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/18 07:25:58
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/18 21:39:38 (permalink)
Doc, I agree with your beliefs also. I have talked to older "hunters" around Central Pa. I tell them about my deer sighting while I am hunting or scouting(IN the WOODS). They just shake their heads and tell me there are NO DEER anymore. One guy told me he DROVE around all summer long and only saw 5 deer. I said I believe you, but how many did you see IN the WOODS. He just shook his head and said the PGC is killing all the deer, and it does not matter whether your in the woods or not.  Don't deer live in the woods, not on the road? I also think the PGC is doing a very good job. I never thought the average bucks I now see would be 8 pts!!!  I think there are a lot of LAZY people around. They must have forgot how to hunt.    Just my personal observation.
rollcaster
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/18 22:58:02 (permalink)

Dr , what am I leading people to believe? People see it for thierselfs noone has to tell them things are getting worse.Mabey both are glasses are full mine of truth, yours full of bull****. As for Noplace you are right there are alot of lazy hunters out there some cant help it bad health, etc. You are not the only one going in the woods, lots of people are, look around in deer season people everywhere on public ground that is . Or mabey you are hunting private ground in that case you probably are seeing lots of deer.Do you think the older hunters you talk to are wrong, it has changed drastically since their youth. I'm am only 27 and see big changes in deer population since I was younger and I do go in the woods. The PGC doesn't kill the deer the hunters do but they are not helping things. Your view of a good job and my view are very differant I guess.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/18 23:47:17 (permalink)
you're 27... that explains a lot

roughly 13 years experince in the woods compared to over 50

I guess one of our probelms is you talk your area... and I talk mine....

example...
look around in deer season people everywhere on public ground

Once again I have to refer to SGL#54/#44... part of which is my back yard and its where I do 80% of my hunting and have since 1960.....  my home is locate where our deer hunting camp use to be...

A major road the PGC opens for rifle season on SGL#54/SGL#44 is about 12 miles long....
in the 60s, 70s, 80s, you could count a hundred vehicles parked along it....

90s it fell to maybe 50.... 2000 to now... MAYBE 25......

The parking lot nearest to my home (1 mile away) would be packed full and vehicles on both sides of the road  by 6:00am for years and years and years... then in the 1990s it too started to fall...

As mentioned I could not hunt last year but was driven around for awhile... there were 9 vehicles in that lot and we counted 17 on the 12 mile road....

The woods behind my house were packed with guys  in the "good old days".. now... we do not see any hunters except the ones from camps located  here....
no strangers...so that means about 12-18 guys in a 2 square mile area....

so deer are not getting pushed because of alot of hunters like "the good old days" here either..... and I hear the same from others who hunt other parts of #54  and #44 not many hunters like before...

some of our group see over 20 while others (while even in the same 2 sq miles) see ZERO ...average about 10..

The guys down in the hollow see the most.. always have... always will..

guys on the flats "on top" see the fewest... always have... always will...

but they don't want to go up and down the steep sides of the hollw... DUhhh.....

me... I'm in my hemlock grove... the #1 hiding spot once the shooting starts
and usually home by noon...

this year ??????

I have 7 in my pasture every night.. maybe I'll be home before 9  

I have harvested a deer on Clear Creek State Forest for about 6 straight years too (DMAP) .... and believe it or not.... HAVE NEVER RAN INTO ANOTHER HUNTER.... !!

But I do not hunt from parking areas over there either... I park along the roads I travel... between parking areas where I see deer crossing all the time during the year

So all I can say is --- I wish you all lived in an area like this to,  OR ..you can visit my site in rifle season and see similar statements from folks all over Pa... even in 2G

Successful hunters will continue to be successful and HAPPY  ..

those that are not successful-- 

WILL NOT.. it's that simple....
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 06:46:04 (permalink)
Roll, I hunted the ANF for about 10 years(I moved further away). There USE to be many hunters(not road hunters). I stopped because I DID see less deer AND less hunters. No one was moving the deer, therefor we saw less and less. My buddy hunted in the same area I use to hunt 3 years ago. He saw 3 deer BUT he only saw a FRACTION of the hunters that we use to see. I adapted to my situation. I ASKED for permission to hunt on private land(it is not posted). Anyone can do as I did, but MANY are too LAZY to adapt. Your right I don't hunt Public land. Why should I?  If you truly love to hunt like I do, you will find a place to hunt, or you won't. Its that simple.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 08:16:07 (permalink)
I think if you take a minute and realize just how many a 5-10% decrease in hunters actually is... and add to that the number who, like no place, moved to private lands or joined leases... one would have to say there truly are not as many hunters on public ground as there use to be.... and thus deer will not be inclined to "run around" like they did in years past... now at first sign of humans it's HIDE...HIDE...HIDE...wait until dark to move.... I see it every year..

By the first day of rifle I will be lucky to have ANY deer coming into my pasture, the seven I have now will have moved to different bedding areas and will come out long after dark and leave long before daylight... 

I had guys come into the store yesterday saying they were surprised that they had NOT seen ANY hunters in the woods yesterday around here... and belive me it was a beautiful day for hunting... NOT working
rollcaster
Pro Angler
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 11:10:31 (permalink)

Dr, its been nice arguing with you but I am done its useless. You have your thoughts and I have mine. Sure somebody will take over since I think lots of people will disagree with you and your so called facts.             Good luck this year not that you need it with all of the deer you have around you.

Fishtamer
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 18:17:04 (permalink)
Maybe allow night hunting with infrared scopes, then you'd see the deer. They're nocturnal. Most trailcam photos of decent bucks occur in the middle of the night, on my camera. As for no deer, I got 252 pics in 4 days, 7 different bucks & 2 nice "shooters". In the same area, hardly ever see a deer in the daytime. As for night hunting, I was joking.
chasinrainbows
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 20:04:03 (permalink)
night fishing is ok, great idea night hunting
CRANKMASTER
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: License Increase? 2008/10/19 23:18:26 (permalink)
Interesting thread here, I'm not exactly sure where to start. Yes the deer herds are decreasing. Q- Who's to blame? A- The hunters. We can **** all we want to about spending all season in the field only to see a small handfull of deer but who pulls the trigger ? Since the state started selling bonus/surplus lic. we jumped at the chance to harvest more than one deer a year. Over the years, how many extra tags have all of you reading this forum purchased ? How many of you have been harvesting more than one deer per year? Yeah lets just purchase all the tags we can get so we can kill more deer and give them away to people that don't hunt. As long as we can find someone to give a deer to, we'll kill it ! How much venison is discarded from freezer burn ? Big Waste !! We will never see the deer herds like we had back in the 70's if we keep harvesting them the way we have been. We need to take it upon ourselves and stop harvesting the doe's. The PGC's antler restictriction does'nt help either. Has anyone ever eaten a good antler ? Just another tactic to get you to shoot a doe ! Oh I guess we should mention Insurance Co's here also !!
        Q- Lack of interest ? A- Your just suffering from depression because over the years, everyone has killed all the breeding stock. Take some Prozac, Quit shooting doe's and get over it.

Q- Decline in Hunters ? A- Oh my, if little Johnny and Janie don't play soccer we must be bad parents !! But everybody else plays ! SCREW everybody else !!! It's a conspiracy !! Oh but the children need to get exercise. THROW AWAY all Video Games they will learn how to play them in the army !!! Make sure they eat healthy and take gym class. Go on bike rides,spend time together as a family instead of stressing out running them to all points of the county for BS activities. Let them get exercise hiking through the woods with you ! And explain to them that if we shoot all the MOMMY DEER there won't be any deer left to produce all of these big monster bucks with the yummy antlers !! 

Q- Is the PGC underfunded ?  A- Yes, Unfortunately !  Come on, lets be real, With the Price of everything else rising the way it is, it can be very costly to operate a state dept of any kind. Wages, Land Purchases, Projects, Equipment, Maintenance etc....! But if the Top Gov officials didn't take so much of our hard earned tax dollars for their HARDLY earned blood and sweat salarys, there would be more to pay the people who truly deserve it and to take care of the things we really need to take care of. Then there would be no need to increase lic fees. But Golly Gee, then the top officials would'nt be able to afford their second, third or forth homes, all their different cars for different occasions, What was I thinking ??

Oh well, Good luck to everyone and God Bless !!           
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: