Storing rods and reels for a period of time?

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/24 14:32:34 (permalink)

Storing rods and reels for a period of time?

Ill be leaving in 13 days and have been putting stuff away and in safe places where moths and critters wont get to them. What should I do with my Breathable waders, fishing poles and reels before they get put away for the next few months. Never really had to put them away for a period of time. Was wondering if there is temps I should put rods in or dampness. 

8 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/05/24 14:42:11 (permalink)
    Send them to the Beav he'll take care of them for ya 

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 981
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/05/24 19:40:43 (permalink)
    In my new breathables there were instructions to roll them up loosely and store them in a sealed plastic bag and keep them in a cool place.

For your rods and reels i'd just store them out of the way in a closet or something like that. Maybe wrap something around the reels or take them off the rods and wrap them to keep dust from collecting. I doubt if there much you can do to hurt a rod unless in gets caught in a door.

Good luck with your basic training. It wouldn't do you any good but i believe there is great lake michagan fishing at waukegan wisconsin which is only a few miles from the great lake training center
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/05/24 21:23:28 (permalink)
    oh it will after my graduation I have 3 days before I leave and Im doing some fishing there. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/05/27 17:30:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

Send them to the Beav he'll take care of them for ya 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/06/01 00:58:58 (permalink)
    kYLER,
         Serious question deserves a serious answer.  For the rods:  If they are multipiece, seperate them and try to stack them vertically. A rod holder is perfect.  For the reels:  Disassemble them as far as you feel confident, clean completely,  lube with a light oil (WD-40) and place in a warm (not hot) enviroment that is as dry as possible.  Some old timers always stored their rods in cloth or leather bags to keep them clean.
          A cheap rod holder can be made from some 1 x 4,  boards  and a 1.25 inch drill or hole saw.    Drill a series of holes down the length of two 1 x 4's  Nail two other 1 x 4's up along the sides,  attach another 1 x 4 across the bottom of the lower 1 x 4 with the holes in it.  Use angle brackets to attach rod holder to a wall.  The rack should look like a big square 2' wide x 2.5 feet high.  Holds about 6 rods.  Or go to bass pro & pay 75.00 for one. 
          Good luck with your basic training.  Be careful on the Lake.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/06/01 01:10:11 (permalink)
    thanks ind,  I used my left over gun carrying case that has foam in and placed 2 rods in there that fit. my other 2 I have and old sheeps cloth cover given to my by my grandfather. the reels I oiled them and wrapped them in cloths and played them in a show box. then put everything in my 8 foot long cedar chest that my grandmother left me I knew it would come in handy. I also placed my waders in a food saver bag and sealed it. hopefully that will save them from dry rotting.  only 4 days and Im gone. Thanks again. 
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/06/01 01:28:48 (permalink)
    Kyler I know we haven't seen eye to eye on everything but I do wish you luck at Basic

See you when you get back

Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Storing rods and reels for a period of time? 2007/06/01 08:21:45 (permalink)
    Thank you for your service to our country and may God bless you and keep you safe.
    You will learn more about yourself and mature in all areas through basic and your service than probably any time in your life. 
    The object of tose first few days is to break you down to follow orders and they will sit you down and tell you to write you mom and tell her you are fine and they are taking care of me and getting food and rest and doing fine and mail it.
    Then you probably won't see a bed for 2 days. 

Luke 9:23
    Jump to: