2B hunting

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/24 11:01:26 (permalink)

2B hunting

Does anyone hunt 2B? I live up in 2F and I'm thinking about getting a over the counter doe tag for 2B but I'm worried about finding public land to hunt on. I've looked on the PGC site and there doesnt seem to be alot of SGL within 2B. If anybody has any suggestion (dont have to get up your sweet spot) as to where to hunt 2b is would be appreciated.

11 Replies Related Threads

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/24 11:10:24 (permalink)
    I believe the gamelands just north of Wexford, PA are still in 2B.  They are located off of Mingo Rd.    There are deer in there, and during archery you may have a good chance to take one.  2B is very difficult to locate a lot of land for the public, and you will have a difficult time this late in the season obtaining permission on prime locations (most landowners that give permission already have and will not allow any more hunters access).  Best advise, you would probably do better to look at 2A for public hunting.  There is a significant amount of land (gamelands, state parks, coal properties, and county parks) and some real giants to be had for the archer willing to do their research and scouting. 
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/24 14:07:39 (permalink)
    I hunt regularly in 2b.  I have access to a handful of different properties, none of which are public.  You will have a heck of a time finding areas to hunt unless you know someone.  As griffon stated there is one relatively small sgl out in the weford area.  Other than that I can't think of any land in northern Allegheny county that is not private.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/26 01:29:01 (permalink)
    I used to hunt on the Naser farm off route 48, behind the gun club.  I suppose it's technically private property, but no landowner ever stopped me and it was not posted.  I believe the farm is abandoned, at least it looks that way.  All the buildings have collapsed and there are a lot places people illegally dumped trash back there.  Plus, some folks ride quads back there.  I haven't been back there for years, and have no idea what it looks like now.
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/26 01:53:40 (permalink)
    2A still has some tags left i believe, there seems to be many farmers in the area that just hate deer so you could probably get to find somewhere to hunt in 2A, i live about 2 miles from SGL 297, in honesty i don't think it see's much activity during archery but i know rifle is a different story, also theres a red tag farm about another mile or 2 away but i don't know how any of that works, never stopped an asked the guy.

Ronnie
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/26 08:41:35 (permalink)
    Red Tag - You stop, ask for a tag - they give it for the season or for the day depending - you hand it back in when you kill one or it ends. That seasons starts in AUGUST!
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/26 09:31:38 (permalink)
    i hunt small game in the wexford gameland and always see a lot of deer sign and a deer every now and then so i know they are in there.  send me a pm and i'll try and help you out a bit.
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/28 14:27:09 (permalink)
    There are some bigger pieces of woods in 2B that are private but open to the hunting public, do some homework you will find some places to hunt. 
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/28 19:21:02 (permalink)
    If it's the same red tag I use, the season is open from like March 1 till the day before archery season.  Unless they changed it this year.  Maybe they did, I can't say I looked.  Moses is right, Gamelands aren't the only public land.  But any public land I hunt down around here are loaded with people the regular hunting seasons.  Tons of deer though. 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/09/29 12:37:29 (permalink)
    I'll give you one big hint, steep, river hillsides.  There's also a lot of what I would call "institutional land" in Allegheny County that isn't "public" property per se but is also not posted and as a general rule, many people hunt it, especially in archery season and never have a problem.  Google earth is your friend and it is getting late to start but, after scouting out Google earth and locating a few prospects, you'll need to take a ride and check the places out.  Look for some parking spacings and trails where it looks like others have been.  Talk to some nearby residents to see if they know who owns the land or if they know that people hunt there a lot. 

I know West Mifflin owns some decent tracks of land that isn't posted and several people hunt it. 

Your best bet is still door knocking in some of the more rural parts of 2B dressed nicely with an offering of help/sharing of harvest, whatever to maybe get you in the door.  If you have a 20% success rate, you would be doing outstanding. 

Me, I help one guy work on his house when I get the chance and the other, I cut firewood for him every fall on his property after my morning sits.  Others, I just give them some jerky or deer sticks and they seem happy with that.
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/10/17 03:16:53 (permalink)
    elizbeth township has a good deer herd my uncle shot a nice ten point there last year i spooked a nice buck last year coming into the woods about 630
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: 2B hunting 2008/10/17 10:35:07 (permalink)
    I hunt 2B alot.

there are some real giants lingering between the houses, and if you can find enough area to hunt you can get one.

I had a 200lb+ bruiser laying behind my parents house Wednesday night threw the spot light on him just massive.  Biggest deer I have ever seen, just laying in the backyard!  Hes not stupid he must know how to look both ways when crossing the streets and knows where he cant get shot at.  Has to be a 5yr old deer.

We have a property we hunt in 2b that is like 40acres.  We have seen alot of bucks out there at times, but none have come into shooting range just as of yet with a bow.  We hunt it alot with slug guns once that season starts..

Im just gettin ready to put in for my 2b Doe Tags

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jump to: