Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/13 20:40:58 (permalink)

I tied that fly...

...and caught that fish!

This evening, after an intense 20 second battle, I landed a leviathan...a 5" rock bass...on an olive wooly bugger that I tied yesterday!

I know its not the most glamorous first, but I was real proud when that crazy looking thing caught a fish.  Just wanted to share the happiness.

25 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/13 21:11:11 (permalink)
    Congratulations!  looks like you have really caught the fly fishing "bug"  (pun intended).   Why you will be an old hand at this stuff when you make it to the "One Fly".  Heck you can guide ME!.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/13 23:44:35 (permalink)
    Congrats!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/14 00:28:44 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

Jack, I think that I still have a very long way to go, but I knew that eventually I would want to get into tying, and I thought, "why not now?".  This way, once I get good at fly fishing, I'll be good at tying too and I'll be able to tie what I need instead of having to fish what I've got.

If you still have that massive fly collection though, I might be able to swap instead of mooch, though!  That is...if you like glow bugs and wooly buggers!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/14 17:55:25 (permalink)
    Cold,
         Like I posted earlier I'm thinking of going with a bamboo rod and a dry fly for the "One Fly"  just to see if I can.  I have caught steel on a dry fly, and I have caught steel on a bamboo rod (1) just to say I did it.  But now I'm going to risk a valuable rod to challenge myself.  The ONLY thing holding me back is I'm still waiting on the heavy-duty ferrules I want to put on the rod.  I just love back-orders.

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/14 19:04:52 (permalink)
    Perseverance! It's a great thing!
    nymphus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/14 22:33:56 (permalink)
    Cold,

Congrats.  You're now at the threshold of a life-time of tying patterns and experimenting with materials.
    Enjoy the ride!

nymphus
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/17 22:42:26 (permalink)
    So I took a few more of my flies out tonight and one of my experimental ones caught me a nice rock bass!  Also got a fish on the dead drift with a caddis!  It was a shiner and when it took the fly I saw the silver and thought it was a trout, so I started to fight hard and pulled it over to me too fast then had to fool around with a bunch of slack line.

Still, it was a fun time, and I'm learning more about the fishing end by working at the tying end.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 15:24:26 (permalink)
    Today was a banner day.  Beautiful weather.  Caught my first trout on a fly of my own tying!  And 4 more!  My first trout on a self-tied fly was ALSO my first tiger trout.  After that I caught 4 other rainbows, making this the best day of fly fishing for me to date.

All the trout measured between 12-15" and were returned to the water healthy and unharmed.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 15:26:12 (permalink)
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 15:59:44 (permalink)
    Beautiful fish, Cold! Went out this morning and caught about 4 as well.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 19:34:58 (permalink)
    Cold,  Excellent fish!  Love the markings on the tiger.

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 19:51:39 (permalink)
    Cold, what fly did you use for that tiger?

*Sorry, didn't notice.. Black Woolly Bugger?
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2008/09/20 20:00:11
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/20 20:01:18 (permalink)
    All of them were caught on an olive wooly bugger w/ gold bead head and some krystal flash in the tail.  Also it had 2 or 3 pearlescent purple beads btwn the chenille and bead head (for weight & color).  All but one of the hits were the typically strong strike of trout, but the tiger didnt seem to fish quite as wildly as a rainbow.  Kind of like a bass, he got as deep as he could and stayed there as long as he could (which wasn't long, considering he was in about 16" of water).
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/21 21:31:22 (permalink)
    You fishing DHALO of Loyal.?? Nice fish I wanna get the fly rod out down there when they stock after the second. A rookie myself with the fly rod.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/21 21:51:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

You fishing DHALO of Loyal.?? Nice fish I wanna get the fly rod out down there when they stock after the second. A rookie myself with the fly rod.

Yeah, I've been hitting it pretty regularly, though the trout there are VERY leery of anything out of the ordinary right now.  I too plan to do much fishing there once it gets stocked, though I'll probably go elsewhere until then.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/22 06:54:17 (permalink)
    BEE AYE EWE TEA FOOL !! 

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/22 08:53:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

Yeah, I've been hitting it pretty regularly, though the trout there are VERY leery of anything out of the ordinary right now.  I too plan to do much fishing there once it gets stocked, though I'll probably go elsewhere until then.

Maybe I will see you out there. I may get some funny looks though if it is nice out and I keep asking everybody if they are Cold.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/22 09:44:57 (permalink)
    Haha!  Maybe.  Look for a Pitt hat and a few yards of flyline on someone's head and its probably me! 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/22 21:29:15 (permalink)
    Managed to sneak out for a bit of fishing tonight, and I gotta say...I'm gonna make a stop back to the Angler's Room soon to thank that guy for the tip to try Mill Creek until the DHALO gets a stocking.  Its an extra little piece of driving for me to get from the DHALO up to where I've been fishing, but its worth it in terms of actually catching fish and the confidence I'm gaining in myself.

I just got one tonight, a little brookie (about 7 or 8") that seemed very pale.  I dont know if that was just a random thing or if he was sick or not eating well or what.  He swam away just fine, but his markings were on a background of creamy yellow/white instead of dark green.  Any ideas there?

Hit on a self-tied beadhead olive wooly bugger.

Also tried some nymphing, now that I've got a large supply of GRHE and BHHE, and I gotta say...for all the success that people talk about when it comes to nymphing, and for as easy as it is on paper, I'm starting to become disillusioned with it.  Tonight I couldnt even get the nymph and float to flow with the current!

Oh well, for now the buggers are working well, and I'm getting pretty good at drifting dries.  Maybe the nymphing will come in time.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/23 16:57:21 (permalink)
    Cold,

This friday I think I'm either heading to Laurel Hill or Loyalhanna. I'll let you know how I do, though it is a long drive .
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/23 19:25:45 (permalink)
    Wow, I'll say!  I haven't fished LH in ages...used to go up there every single first day.  Me, my best friend, and our dads.  Was one of the few places you could go and get totally away from the crowds and still catch fish.  Lots of good memories.

Might actually try to get a few of the guys together for a weekend of camping and fishing the LH DHALO after the fall stocking.  Gotta see if an old Eagle scout can get a patch of grass to pitch on at the Boy Scout camp!

If you let me know your plans, I can definitely be on the 'hanna, though pre-stock, these trout are choosier than moms who buy JIF.  The colder temps HAVE made them a little more adventurous, but their lips still aren't sinking any ships.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/24 18:09:13 (permalink)
    Cold,

I don't think I'll be able to make it that weekend of stocking. My Father and I have mapped out 4 places in 2 days and have been waiting like kids before christmas -- more of me with the lack of fish in the DHALO area I've seen & caught this Summer. In talking to acouple other members I was thinking of putting up a competition one day in the Winter on a stretch of DHALO maybe on Laurel Hill. Interested? Willing to maybe throw in acouple prices depending on the turn out..

Aaron M.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/24 19:45:15 (permalink)
    I'd have to know alot more before I'd say either way.

Didn't get out today.  Between a dentist visit and my latest archnemesis, road construction, I didn't leave home till 5:45...then got halfway there and realized I left my license at home.

By the time I got back, I didn't much feel like fishing, so I just helped paint a garage door and then came back here to tie a little.

Also note, the hanna gets fish on the 2nd, but LH gets em on the 8th.  I wont be around these parts that weekend (I'll be in Erie for the One Fly!).  Still, I want to get out there a time or three this fall.  My one buddy, a hardcore bass topwater fisherman, has decided to give trout streams a try, and I want to get him on some pelletheads to keep him interested.

Cant really think of a nicer weekend than a few guys on a stream full of "uneducated" trout, a nice little camp, and plenty of good eats and drinks!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/09/24 20:34:22 (permalink)

Also note, the hanna gets fish on the 2nd, but LH gets em on the 8th.  I wont be around these parts that weekend (I'll be in Erie for the One Fly!).  Still, I want to get out there a time or three this fall.  My one buddy, a hardcore bass topwater fisherman, has decided to give trout streams a try, and I want to get him on some pelletheads to keep him interested.

Yeah I figured, Bellefonte can't stock every place around here @ the first... -- I would of tried to make the one fly, but I have obligations in Ohio. I'm not sure how much time I'll have but I may buy a license there and fish local streams and maybe head up north. When you're free and willing to stand in cold water for a few hours PM me .

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: I tied that fly... 2008/10/15 22:49:28 (permalink)
    Today I caught my first trout on a non-wooly-bugger!

I set up a flashback hare's ear dropper from an elk hair caddis and drifted because the leaves on the water were playing havoc with my swing.  The 14" rainbow hit the FBHE, making it my first fish on a nymph, and the first time I've used an indicator successfully!
    Jump to: