"the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"???

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 07:41:53 (permalink)
Hey storm,

Maybe I can help end the debate.  You already got the prolific part nailed down..

I searched "world class" and found:

1. ranking among the best in the world

ERGO- nearly everything is world class.  It could all be ranked as the best in the world.  Even my local lakes are world class they rank as the best in the world. . .they are at the VERY BOTTOM of that ranking but they rank LOL

This remains a debate of sematics and opinions so there will be no universal agreement.

I will say that when I fished Erie for the first time in the tribs and hooked a big, giant, fat rainbow trout known as a steelhead, I was blown away.  I had no experience to compare it to.  My trout fishing, previous to that day was comprised of catching whatever the PFBC stocked earlier that day (a practice that I later abandoned).

When I came up last month and caught 2 sometimes 3 10-13 inch perch EVERYTIME I lowered a bait I was blown away.  In the past when if we could get on a school of perch locally, you would catch a small amount of dinks.  Few to no humpbacks and rarely did any of them have a belly.

When a kind gentleman told us how to sort out our trolling technique and we caught a walleye a piece that was 27-29inches, fat as a hog (fought like a log) my fishing partner and I were BOTH blown away.

Because this fisherey is NOT exactly in our back yard, because we cannot have this success locally. . .it seemed like Erie was a world class fisherey.  Because people bang the perch for most of the warm months and the walleyes seemingly eat much of the same time AND because this happens year in an year out  OBVIOUSLY the reproduction is fantastic  and the lake system is prolific.

I would love to spend even more time learning the how's.  Not necessarily to fill tickets of fish day in and day out.  Rather to have some good, fairly reliable action and a couple quality fish for pictures and a few smaller table fish.

A matter of perspective is this.  My perspective is that, for the money and time and resources expended. . .Erie is a place I would like to be.  EXCEPT when there is a massive lake effect snow storm. . .had to throw that in.

Brent
skunkboy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 07:57:44 (permalink)
Until somebody who has fished every body of water on the planet presents themselves on this forum, arguing over where Erie lands on the world class scale is useless. Don't you guys have flies to tie????
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 09:15:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: skunkboy

Until somebody who has fished every body of water on the planet presents themselves on this forum, arguing over where Erie lands on the world class scale is useless. Don't you guys have flies to tie????

I think we should start a fundraiser here on the board. We'll take donations and I'll graciously offer to be the guy to fish everywhere in the world. I'll let you all know what I find out 
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 11:37:31 (permalink)
this all started with the FFM article post... i guess when some one said erie was world class I was using my FF only perspective
and i guess that makes my opinon weighted
Erie is NOT a world class FF location... it may be prolific, but so is a farm pond
the lake guys do have great walleye and bronzebacks

I still think that my lake and river list will give erie a run for daily numbers on bronzebacks (prolific definition) and have run the scales higher
and these are only places i have fished... and most are under 20hrs drive time

I have been fortunate to fish in some great spots in North America, and even more fortunate to do it not on my own dime

erie and the tribs are good, actually great... but i have many more spots that I have seen that rank higher (i have a TON more i'd like to fish)
just because it is great and in driving distance doesn't mean it is world class...
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 12:27:33 (permalink)
I'd still have to argue that it is a world class destination for flyfishing for steelhead. This would of course be based on numbers of fish, not overall experience. And it is also using the definition of "world class" as meaning one of the best, not necessarily THE best.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 12:40:51 (permalink)
Grass always looks greener on the other side.
I do know I would rather shovel snow, and pay for heat; then live any where else.
Chris
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 12:48:46 (permalink)
There is no doubt in my mind that Lake Erie is the best walleye and smallmouth fishery in the world.  Now, it all also depends on what constitutes it being "the best".  If you're talking numbers and size of fish...This can hardly be disputed.  I'd also have to agree with Elk Creek being up there as one of the best steelhead fisheries, when it comes to sheer numbers of steelhead.  Regardless of how they got there...they are there.  Where else in the world can you literally catch 50 steelhead in a day???

I think "The Best" is pretty vague unless specifics are stated when speaking of the best in regards to what....most serene, secluded, biggest fish on average, hardest fighting, etc...the list could go on.  I would, however, agree that some of the Erie tribs could be considered "the best" when it comes to sheer numbers of fish....and numbers of fisherman too.  Tight Lines!

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 13:25:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

this all started with the FFM article post... i guess when some one said erie was world class I was using my FF only perspective

Honestly, i thought this was a pretty darn good thread.
Not a  "world class" thread though
LOL, just goofin'

Nice diversion from the redundant   "how do i bait my hook" threads that resurface year after year
(not that there's anything wrong with those questions)
just that some of us who've been here for years and years have seen those type threads a million times

..L.T.A.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 14:55:38 (permalink)
i guess we can all agree... there are personal differences of what people consider the BEST
there are 3 classifications.... world class/prolific/the best... each with no exact definition and room for personal interpretation

with the rapid decline of natural returns in the west, erie looks even stronger on the steelhead side
but for me... i like the chalange and the surrondings elsewhere
BUT still make the trip at least twice a month

QUESTION- Is the ONE FLY going to touted as the the best steelhead fishing contest in the world?
(can we get shirts?)

bronzebacks.. erie doesn't have the biggest or the most, but has a great (maybe the "best") avg size...
and i guess that makes many/most people's list of the best/world class/prolific

and while this thread may not be "world class" it was very prolific... 2 pages in like 2hrs
how do you bait a hook, and what does the run look like for nov '09??
and who is better locals or pittsburghers?
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 20:07:03 (permalink)
I missed out on a bunch...  I guess I was too busy out shooting the prolific dove fields yesterday with my kids, dog, and buddy.  Didn't get on today, because my grass had shown to be more prolific than I expected.  Although I couldn't shoot the grass from a helicopter (like an Alaskan Wolf...), my Toro did a fine job on cutting down the population.  When and while that was being done, I was also preparing every piece of my archery laundry.  This afternoon was football (not sure it was worldclass, but it was prolific), along with fly tying and prolific drinking of Penn Octoberfests until a little bit ago when I had to put the Deer steaks on the grill. 

Anyways...  Yes Erie is world class and yes Erie is prolific, as everyone for the most part has admitted.  That said, many people really do need to get out and explore what North America or the World (depending on what you can swing) and see that there is a great big world outside of Erie and Pittsburgh.  That is not a slam, just a reality.  Every city has it's version of Yinzers who think there area/people are absolutely the best and this board is no different.  That is a very sheltered and introverted mindset.  I have been all over North America and have truly enjoyed many of the places I have visited, both aesthetically and prolifically.  This summer I spent a couple of days on the Yaupon Reef out of Oak Island, NC.  What a crazy fishery with more species of fish than I could keep track of and fish on every drop until the sharks moved in.  I was prepared and put an 11' Hammerhead (probably 600 lbs.) (Sorry SC, I beat you many times and by several thousand pounds in the shark category) and many smaller sharks up close to the boat.  My next big trip will be the Snake chasing Sturgeon and I will let you know how prolific they seem to be from one man's perspective.

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/14 21:18:16 (permalink)
boy i finally go fishing with my son and i miss all the fireworks lol

I have become comfortably numb
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/15 11:49:25 (permalink)
try lake anna VA or lake gaston VA/NC lake anna holds some of the biggest crappies i've ever seen along with stripers i'm not from va just lived there for 3 years 
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/16 12:01:23 (permalink)
I just think the fact that we're having this discussion on the "fisherie" discussion board says it all.

Maybe if more people try fishing those other places it won't seem like trolling on 279 after a Steeler game when the eyes are stacked up in 35 feet of water.

Good discussion, but we ALL obviously fish Erie and the tribs and should be happy that someone calls our "back yard" fishin' hole "world class".
cooljauman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1633
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/16 12:28:51 (permalink)

maybe if they open up Linesville for fishing, it might give erie a run for its money!

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
CKM
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/16 15:15:43 (permalink)
Check out Pennsylvania's Biggest Fish of 2007:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/bigfish.htm

post edited by CKM - 2008/09/16 15:16:33
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: "the most prolific fishery in the world in our back yard"??? 2008/09/16 15:44:08 (permalink)
wow, look at that and  I'm sure there were many more big smallies taken in erie that weren't reported to the PAFBC. 

Pretty impressive.

Smallmouth Bass

Ronald Trageser
Pittsburgh, Pa
Lake Erie
5/12
Reef Runner
7 lb. 13.5 oz.

William L. Marks
Little Hocking, Oh
Lake Erie
5/24