Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/11 21:19:41 (permalink)

My First Night at the Bench

Which is actually my computer desk for now.

Tying Glow Bugs.

So far it's tough, but I'm trying alot of different stuff to help out, and learning alot as I go.  If anyone's got tips, feel free to chime in, and I'll be sure to post pics at some point!

30 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/11 22:22:48 (permalink)
    For glow-bugs, if you are not already, use mcflyfoam it is much easier to work with than the yarn.  Keep the wraps few and tight and you should be in good shape!!

I hope to get started next week to stock up my boxes before archery hits.  The motivation is starting to come back to me with these cool dreary mornings we have had the last couple days. 
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/11 22:41:37 (permalink)
    I use my computer desk at times to tie. I can look up various patterns and have a pic right there in front of me. I use glo yarn for all my glo bugs. Make sure you have some strong thread and wrap very tight. It can be a bit tricky at first but you will get the hang of it. I need to get back to tying again. I tied a bunch of flies and various patterns but now I ran out of ideas. I am tying for my salmon river trip coming up soon. I will use most of it at Erie also but for now, I am just not motivated enough.

DAS BOOT!
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 06:57:24 (permalink)
    for strong thread use gsp (gel spun poly) is a lil expencive but well worth it.if not that kevlar thread would be my next choice. and last but not least is a 210 deniar thread.
    you can really pull tight  to get the yarns to flare and than trim to a ball shape.As for finding the time to tie.my gear is in the basement and i hit the bench when i do some wash no runiing up and down the steps lol paul
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2008/09/12 06:58:13

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 10:03:53 (permalink)
    I have read both pros and cons on whether to use yarn or Mcflyfoam , I have both but prefer the Mcflyfoam. I can turn a average egg pattern into a good egg pattern easier with the Mcflyfoam. So I think its better for someone who hasn't mastered the method with yarn.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 10:09:56 (permalink)
    Ended up with 12 flies (10 glow bugs of various color combinations, 2 olive wooly buggers), and alot of hands-on learning.  Found out that while I was using the whip finisher correctly, I was holing the thread too tight, so the knot worked, but I was making things way more difficult than it had to be.  All of the sudden one time it worked as it was supposed to and it was like, "Hey!  Cool!".

The wooly buggers are kinda wild looking with tufts of crap hanging out everywhere, but I think theyll catch fish.  I've got to figure them out a bit more so I dont all the sudden need my thread at the other end of the shaft.

Can anyone suggest any very very simple patterns to try that I wont need to buy another huge pile of material for?  I've got a bunch of yarn in various colors and thicknesses for glow bugs (hard to handle at first, but it gets more manageable every time, reducing the amount of thread and wraps i use with each time, too).  I've also got marabou, chenille, and cheap strung hackle in olive.  If I stop today, I think I'll be getting stuff to make black buggers (to make egg sucking leeches) and beads...OR I might grab stuff to make a very simple squirrel hair fly (dubbing and hooks, and a tail).

Suggestions?
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 11:13:39 (permalink)

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 11:17:02 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mika, I'm very familiar with that site, and it was a big part of getting me to actually start tying.  Actually, the simple fly I might try is the SHWAPF on that site.  I've read the entire beginner section several times over, and had the wooly bugger instructions on the screen while I tied my first two!  
    schlemoc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 12:06:25 (permalink)
    http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/2006/11/tying_sucker_sp_1.html

There is a pretty good video on how to tie a sucker spawn.  It is real popular for steelhead.  I found the vidoe to explain the process easily.  You can use the glo yarn to make it.  Just split the yarn up into strands.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/scrambledegg.html

The scrambled egg, which is a similar pattern, but also fairly easy.

When I started it was on simple minnow streamers, jigs, and wooly worms.  It's enough to get you acquainted.  You may also want to look into some hairs ear nymphs or copper johns. 
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 12:08:31 (permalink)
    try searching utube.  
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 17:00:59 (permalink)
    Cold, a bit of advice if your tying egg patterns with synthetic yarns. Go to a sowing shop and get a decent pair of sheers. Synthetic yarn will dull your tying scissors rather qiuck.

Since you're tying buggers, try boddies wrapped in estaz and exclude the hackle.  
    If you do get a squirrel tail, get some strung peacock too and tie up some picket pins.
    The tying instructions are easily found on the web. Materials are rather cheap and its a good pattern to fish as a nymph or streamer.
    also, I prefer pine squirrel over the gray that the pattern calls for. Also, you don't have to use brown hackle. Any dark hackle will do.

Gone Fishing
    outdoorman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/12 19:21:08 (permalink)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/13 00:05:25 (permalink)
    Looks like a bunch of cool sites, thanks guys!

Tied more glow bugs today, incorporating McFly foam for the first time (handles a bit nicer, but overall for my skill level it's about the same pain in the neck level as the yarn).  Also converted a few of them into nuke eggs.

Tying wooly buggers again after making one SHWAPF fly from REALLY old squirrel hair I found among hunting stuff in the garage.It was a humongous pain thought, so I'm back to buggers for tonight.
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/13 01:06:25 (permalink)
    One very inexpensive pattern that is a must for Erie is sucker spawn as mentioned above. You need those on the tribs. Easy and cheap but very effective. Angora yarn is my favorite but you can go to a craft store and buy a bunch of yarn for dirt cheap. Get a bunch of colors. This should be the easiest fly that you would ever tie.

DAS BOOT!
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/13 01:08:18 (permalink)
    you can use your glo bug yarn also for sucker spawn. just rip it down to a smaller section or not so small to make it bulkier.

DAS BOOT!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/13 11:49:28 (permalink)
    Check out Loomis' blog spot I found last night. Really nice and detailed about tying glow bugs..

http://loomisflyfisher.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/13 22:36:39 (permalink)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/15 14:45:29 (permalink)
    Over the rest of the weekend, I cranked out about 25 glow bugs of varying colors, including 3 neon colored ones that I converted into nuke eggs.  Eventually I got into a rhythm, and instead of tying one of each color, I did about 8 the same, with a little bit of uniformity toward the end.  After that, I made about 6 more olive buggers, and then went back to the squirrel hair flies that had given me trouble, eventually getting the hang of it and making 8 of those that actually look pretty uniform.  The one I fished with seemed to float decently well when greased up, though no fish were interested.

I wont hold that against it, though, I have terrible luck with dries so far.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/15 17:03:27 (permalink)
    Like w/ any of the patterns your run across, use the least amt of material on your thread, in way of dubbing. You can add to it to make it bulker, but having to much material to start w/ makes the fly heavy looking and very unruly looking.

The biggest problem you going to have as new tier goes is the hook point. To this day i still make contact w/ it and cut the thread. If you do this, back the thread off the hook and hang a pair of forceps or hackle pliers off of it and start the thread over locking it in.

Guys spoke of the gel-spun threads, great threads to use but be careful around some of the animal hairs. The thread will cut through them.

For keeping hair on the hook and in place prior to tying it on, is to pinch it between your thumb and first finger while holding it centered over the top of the hook and do a couple semi tight wraps of thread and then the 3- 4th wraps will lock it in place. This keeps the hair or any other item centered and easy to deal w/.

You do realize that from now on your have to carry a knife w/ you at all times to cut that tail off of roadkill. I did just that through the rut season and collected 12 deer tails off fresh kills. Your be going to the park and hitting every craft store from you to the next town. Yard sales and pawn shops take on a new meaning. Traveling, your be looking for fur shop scraps.

In no time your house will have a room dedicated to fishing and plastic storage containers stacked. TURN BACK NOW BEFORE IT'S TO LATE

Quick last hint, I tie all my stone flies as browns and carry a blk sharply marker to change its color. You can do this w/ sucker spawn, tie only wht and carry multi color markers, this keeps material cost down.
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Over the rest of the weekend, I cranked out about 25 glow bugs of varying colors, including 3 neon colored ones that I converted into nuke eggs.  Eventually I got into a rhythm, and instead of tying one of each color, I did about 8 the same, with a little bit of uniformity toward the end.  After that, I made about 6 more olive buggers, and then went back to the squirrel hair flies that had given me trouble, eventually getting the hang of it and making 8 of those that actually look pretty uniform.  The one I fished with seemed to float decently well when greased up, though no fish were interested.

I wont hold that against it, though, I have terrible luck with dries so far.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/15 17:07:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the links and tips guys (though the YouTube suggestions after the crystal meth fly were a bit disturbing...).

As far as materials, I've already earmarked dad's deer tails this season (this is the first year I'm not hunting), and he recommended I talk to a relative about getting phesant feathers and rabbit fur.The neighbor raises pigeons...not sure if any of their feathers will be of use.

Also, great idea with the sucker spawn.  I really need to get some angora, but I DO have a 12 color sharpie set which I might be able to put to good use.  Do the fish get turned off by the ink bleeding into the water?
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/15 17:54:28 (permalink)
    I've been doing that for salmon and steel, and have yet to see any problems w/ refusal. I wouldn't do this w/ a spring creek trout, or a west steel, but a east steel no problem. Plus, the sharpies don't bleed.

I've added dots, streaks, and overall coloring to all different flies inc. salt.

Thanks for the links and tips guys (though the YouTube suggestions after the crystal meth fly were a bit disturbing...).

As far as materials, I've already earmarked dad's deer tails this season (this is the first year I'm not hunting), and he recommended I talk to a relative about getting phesant feathers and rabbit fur.The neighbor raises pigeons...not sure if any of their feathers will be of use.

Also, great idea with the sucker spawn.  I really need to get some angora, but I DO have a 12 color sharpie set which I might be able to put to good use.  Do the fish get turned off by the ink bleeding into the water?

vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/17 08:47:50 (permalink)
    Want a pattern that is cheap and easy try variations of the greenie weenie..
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/17 10:47:46 (permalink)
    That one's on the to-learn list!

Last night I tied my first 5 Hare's Ear nymphs, each with minor variations (peacock herl thorax on some, flashback on one, no gold rib on one, etc.), but size-wise, they're all very similar, which makes me smile. 

Also tied a pair of larva/scud/midge things using yellow-brown glass beads and some dubbing.  I've seen similar things around, but I'm just not exactly sure what its called.  I'll have to post some pictures.

Also I finally hit up a craft store!  Made a few good finds including peacock herl which I couldnt find @ Gander Mtn., some gold wire, 2 different colors of beads (the yellow-brown i mentioned and a pearlescent purplish green), and some interesting looking feathers for wherever I find a use for them.  They also had guinea feathers black with white spots...anyone know of a good use for those?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Pics as Promised! 2008/09/25 22:13:54 (permalink)
    Here's the Hare's Ears I've been tying, along with 6 white wooly buggers I tied up last night, and that I was proud of due to the consistency I'm starting to get.

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/26 06:42:19 (permalink)

That one's on the to-learn list!

Last night I tied my first 5 Hare's Ear nymphs, each with minor variations (peacock herl thorax on some, flashback on one, no gold rib on one, etc.), but size-wise, they're all very similar, which makes me smile. 

Also tied a pair of larva/scud/midge things using yellow-brown glass beads and some dubbing.  I've seen similar things around, but I'm just not exactly sure what its called.  I'll have to post some pictures.

Also I finally hit up a craft store!  Made a few good finds including peacock herl which I couldnt find @ Gander Mtn., some gold wire, 2 different colors of beads (the yellow-brown i mentioned and a pearlescent purplish green), and some interesting looking feathers for wherever I find a use for them.  They also had guinea feathers black with white spots...anyone know of a good use for those?

May be grizzly hackle? Well known for griffiths gnats & mayflies as well as spinners.

If they're older then your guess is as good as mine. I have a ton of old dyed feathers and man are some of them funky.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: My First Night at the Bench 2008/09/26 07:20:09 (permalink)
    No they're not hackle feathers at all.  Short little oval ones.  I'm thinking tails, wings, etc. but I'm not gonna buy em till I have a use for em.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Pics as Promised! 2008/09/26 08:52:15 (permalink)

Here's the Hare's Ears I've been tying, along with 6 white wooly buggers I tied up last night, and that I was proud of due to the consistency I'm starting to get.

Looks to me like you're getting there.  And getting there rather quickly, good show.  I've taugth a few people to tie, some pick it up quick, and some just struggle.  Keep at it.  Concentrate on "thread control", thread control is the key to tying consistant flies, and keeping the thread from blocking the hook eye. 

Some of those nymphs look better than other, but all will catch fish.  And a couple of those buggers look as good as any you'lll find in a shop.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Pics as Promised! 2008/09/26 14:26:26 (permalink)
    those are looking nice real nice and as said will catch fish. i still have the first clousers i tied and a few others.at times i look back and blame those flys for getting me obcessed with tying lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Pics as Promised! 2008/09/26 19:49:38 (permalink)
    The fish don't care about consistency, but if you're working on it ...

Identify the area on the hook shank two eye lengths behind the eye and the spot just above the barb. That's the east-west area on which you'll be tying. (though on some flies it's better to use the spot above the hook point).

I'd say most beginning tiers have a problem with proportion and consistency. If you repeat the eastern and western boundaries of your fly you'll find that your flies begin to look more like duplicates of each other.

The fish don't care, but when you show another angler what you caught one on, you'll take pride in the craft of it.

I don't trim marabou on the hook. The end line is too harsh. In the water, a minnow's tail kind of fades away, it doesn't have a harsh end line. 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pics as Promised! 2008/09/26 20:32:36 (permalink)
    Those ones that end flat were leftovers from extra large pieces of marabou that I figured I could get another fly out of.  The uneven ones are the tips of the feathers.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: