Author
bald_guy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/19 16:42:21 (permalink)

conneaut swamp fishin?

Hello all,

I am a long time reader of this forum (just joined today) and have a question.  I am wondering if anyone fishes in the conneaut swamp?  I pass over it on rt79 on a regular basis but never saw anyone fishing.  It looks like there may be a few bass  laying in those weeds. 

Thanks for any info you may provide.

34 Replies Related Threads

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/19 20:18:09 (permalink)
    looks like it would be great fishing. ive fished it twice by canoe and didnt catch a fish either time. it is extremely thick in there. we launched off of the geneva/cochranton exit. talked to a guy that claims he uses white mice from the pet store and says he crushes pike in there. never seen it to say if its true. i would think if the fishing was so good in there youd see a lot of boats. ive crossed over 79 there 1000's of times and have yet to see people fishing it.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/19 20:55:37 (permalink)
    Can it be there still are secrets around?

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/19 21:27:37 (permalink)
    No secrets there sac
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/19 21:47:03 (permalink)
    i'm sure there are tons of fish in there and people that know how to catch them.

fishing secrets in PA? i suppose anything's possible. not likely, but possible.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/20 09:32:50 (permalink)
    Bald Guy,
        Been there, Tried it.  Very thick, Very Very difficult to maneuver.  Don't even think of trying to wade, there are some deep holes.  If you get hung up it's a long, hard time to get back.   All-in-all I wouldn't do it again even if I could catch fish there.... which I didn't.  Some small stuff, mostly sunnies, and rock bass.  Not worth the trouble in my opinion.  Maybe if you had a kayak, too much time on your, hands, and just wanted to enjoy the paddle.  Lots of birds and turtles though.   Pymy is a heck of a lot better and the access is easier.  And then there's that big puddle up north which has way better fishing.  Just my 2 cents.  I caught more in PIB in three hours than in a day own there.  You keep thinking "OH, that looks like a good spot!" and by the time you row, pole, push, drag, the boat over... it isn't.
          And just in case you think I' BS'ing you. I live 500 miles away and I plan my valuable fishing time in PA. And I do not PLAN to fish the swamp when I travel up.  I tried it. And I didn't enjoy it.  Long ride from any put-in too.   But go ahead.  Then you can be the first person anyone has seen in a boat out there.  Be sure to wave to the folks on 79.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/05/20 09:39:27

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    bald_guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/20 12:37:15 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the comments regarding the swamp... 

It sure does look like a great place to throw a few large lures around but based on the comments here and some others I recently received think I will leave the swamp exporation to someone younger and stronger...

Regards and good fishing!
    Earthquaker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/21 10:36:46 (permalink)
    Hey Bald guy, This is Earthquaker I am one of the few Ohio guys that these guys let on here. Just jokin! The guys in my band (Earthquakers) live by the swamp and tell me that they have fished it and they know others that have fished it so, I guess I'm just like the other guys, I know people that say there is good fishin there but have yet to see it with my own eyes.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/21 11:34:49 (permalink)
    Technically it is "Geneva Swamp", but you are correct it does start at the outflow of Conneaut Lake.  Lots of fish in there.  Pike, some bass, TONS of bowfin, crappie, varieties of sunnies, and a few channel cats.  One of the longest pike I ever caught came out of the Custard's hole of the swamp.  It was 41" long but was a slim, slim, slim 11#, truly looked like a snake.  If you wanted to fish a swamp for bass, I think you'd be better off at the Hartstown swamp.  Crystal Lake, Hidden Lake, and the last levee pond all have SIZABLE largemouth populations. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/21 11:58:38 (permalink)
    I have spoken with several duck hunters, who claimed to have seen some absoute pigs in there. I am inclined to believe them, as the habitat is just too good not to hold some great fish. No matter how good the fishing MIGHT be, very few would put forth the effort to access them. I too, would advise against wading. Three feet of water, may lay over several feet of not so "solid" ground.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/21 17:03:40 (permalink)
    Duck hunter ho...

There are a lot of fish in that thing, although I don't know what they are.  Opening day a few years ago while waiting for 5 hours for shooting time(yeah we get there at 1-2:00 in the morning) there were fish surfacing in the creek channel behind us.  We couldn't tell what they were, as soon as we turned on a light they scattered.  We kicked ourselves for not bringing a rod, we could have ended up with white trash surf n' turf...  Ducks and swamp fish, yum.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/05/30 11:32:46 (permalink)
    I'VE FISHED BY THE DAM AND DONE OK. I CAUGHT A REDFIN PICKERAL IN THERE ONCE. YES, I KNOW WHAT EVERYONE GOING TO SAY, THEY ARE NOT NATIVE TO THE WESTERN DRAINAGE SYSTEM, SO I MUST HAVE MISS ID'D THE FISH. NOT TRUE !!!  IT WAS A REDFIN AND NOT A GRASS PICKERAL OR BABY NORTHREN. CAUGHT BASS AND PANFISH TOO ! YOU CAN FISH EASILY FROM SHORE WHERE THE DAM/SPILLWAY IS.
    post edited by JEB - 2007/05/30 11:33:35
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/01 12:34:24 (permalink)
    If you fish the bridge down by the game lands there is a little spillway there.  Alot of people catch bowfin and some small pike there.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    mgp629
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/01 16:01:16 (permalink)
    I grew up a few miles from the swamp and caught a lot of Redfin Pickerl under the I79 bridges in the thick stuff on minnows close to shore. They look just like a baby Musky and are very agressive so I for one belive you.
    mgp629
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/01 17:26:16 (permalink)
    I live in Greensburg but grew up in Conneaut Lake and on a return trip got to see and hear The Earthquarkers at the Beach Club.I never saw anything like that before or since, Good stuff !
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/02 10:15:35 (permalink)
    I too have wanted to fish there for several years.  There was some info on the old board but seems like it cannot be accessed.  This is connect to french creek and the outflow from conneaut so I would assume there's musky in there.  All I know is that it's non poweres boats only and looks like hell to wade.
    Got some relatives that live in Titusville...may have to try that spot sometime soon.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/07 09:02:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mgp629

I grew up a few miles from the swamp and caught a lot of Redfin Pickerl under the I79 bridges in the thick stuff on minnows close to shore. They look just like a baby Musky and are very agressive so I for one belive you.

THANKSS FOR THE SUPPORT !
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/07 16:27:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Technically it is "Geneva Swamp", but you are correct it does start at the outflow of Conneaut Lake.  Lots of fish in there.  Pike, some bass, TONS of bowfin, crappie, varieties of sunnies, and a few channel cats.  One of the longest pike I ever caught came out of the Custard's hole of the swamp.  It was 41" long but was a slim, slim, slim 11#, truly looked like a snake.  If you wanted to fish a swamp for bass, I think you'd be better off at the Hartstown swamp.  Crystal Lake, Hidden Lake, and the last levee pond all have SIZABLE largemouth populations. 

Where is Crystal Lake, Hidden Lake, and the Levee ponds? I know where Hartstown Swamp is but I haven't heard of those lakes.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/07 19:09:08 (permalink)

Where is Crystal Lake, Hidden Lake, and the Levee ponds? I know where Hartstown Swamp is but I haven't heard of those lakes.

Crystal Lake is on the south side of rt 18/322 other side of hartstown swamp.The hidden lake is joined to
    Crystal Lake and hides way back in..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/07 21:50:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Egg!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/10 16:05:05 (permalink)
    Low oxygen levels in that swamp. Bass struggle to survive year to year. Looks good but pick another place if your smart.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/10 17:16:20 (permalink)
    You are right about the oxygen. Sometimes minnows die in less than a minute. But I have had some great days there. So I guess I'm dumb. lol
    I don't spend an entire day there. Just an hour or two. I have learned one thing about that place. Either you get into the fish or you don't. If you don't then move on.

ORIGINAL: CAPTAIN HOOK

Low oxygen levels in that swamp. Bass struggle to survive year to year. Looks good but pick another place if your smart.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/11 15:40:31 (permalink)

That's something I never considered.  Good call.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/11 22:15:23 (permalink)
    youre saying your minnows are dying in less than a minute because you feel theres a lack of oxygen in there for a minnow to live??? yeah, a minnow requires a huge amount of oxygen.

"So I guess I'm dumb. lol."^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/11 23:32:13 (permalink)
    You seem dumb to me. Can you explain why a fathead minnow would struggle around the surface and be belly up in a minute? There is no warnings out about chemicals, ect. in that water. So please , enlighten me. By your post's it doesn't seem that you fish the area well or know much about it. I guess thats why I know spots that keep jerks like you away.  

ORIGINAL: *commander*

youre saying your minnows are dying in less than a minute because you feel theres a lack of oxygen in there for a minnow to live??? yeah, a minnow requires a huge amount of oxygen.

"So I guess I'm dumb. lol."^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/12 11:23:45 (permalink)

Hartstown Swamp?  There is no shortage of bass or oxygen in that swamp, I can assure you.  A buddy spent a morning ice fishing there last winter w/ a bucket of shiners and tip ups and slammed 36 bass in 3 hours! 

Geneva swamp, yes, there are oxygen issues. 
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/12 16:26:22 (permalink)
    maybe you casted the minnow too hard.

i'll try to use as few words as possible so that you dont have to strain yourself to understand. if a body of water does not support enough oxygen to keep a minnow alive, how would it support fish that can eat minnows? are the fish you are supposedly catching bellying up around you? are they dying after you supposedly catch them? the fight would exhaust them and they wouldnt be able to catch their breath if their wasnt enough oxygen to support them, much less the minnow. i'm not saying there is or isnt enough oxygen in that body of water, however, how would the fish you are SUPPOSEDLY catching grow and be able to eat if there isnt enough oxygen to support baitfish much less your minnows?
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/12 16:32:30 (permalink)

Hartstown Swamp?  There is no shortage of bass or oxygen in that swamp, I can assure you.  A buddy spent a morning ice fishing there last winter w/ a bucket of shiners and tip ups and slammed 36 bass in 3 hours! 

Geneva swamp, yes, there are oxygen issues. 

we used to fish hartstown swamp by canoe and the place was polluted with bass. we always used a buzzbait. it was very thick. i assume the bass were stunted as there were so many and they were all the same size.

i went past the swamp about a year ago to check it out and the swamp looked like it was drained. i didnt get out to take a closer look but it looked empty. does it get that low in the summer or was this an isolated incident?
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/06/12 16:33:32
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/13 10:20:32 (permalink)
    It doesn't look too drained to me.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: conneaut swamp fishin? 2007/06/13 17:42:41 (permalink)
    ok. thanks. the fishing was excellent there. sounds like it still is.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/06/13 17:49:59
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: