"why do you tie ?"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sage4wt
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Reward points: 0
RE: "why do you tie ?" 2008/09/16 22:14:49 (permalink)
when i catch a fish on a fly i made , it is more rewarding than catching one on a fly that i bought plus, it is a hell of a lot cheaper to tie and it gives me something to do. also gets me away from my wife, lol.

DAS BOOT!
catchnrelease5
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: "why do you tie ?" 2008/09/23 23:29:31 (permalink)
I tie my own flies because it is very relaxing, and it makes me feel like I have accomplished something important for the day.  The night before I am planning to go fishing, I tie flies because I want to be sure I do not run out of the flies that are catching fish, I want to be as prepared as possible - it's just something I always do.  Other reasons I tie;  you can tie flies when it's dark outside, when the roads are icy, when the Erie Tribs are frozen over, when the wind is blowing and freezing rain is falling.  Also, fly tying materials are cheaper than golf balls (I lose as many golf balls as I do flies), and you can feel pretty satisfied buying most materials without breaking the bank.  And, fly tying tools and matierials are great Christmas presents to receive (it sure beats a tie or a bottle of after shave).

But really, my number one reason for tying flies is that fly tying and fly fishing go hand in hand.  Are you a true fly fisherman if you are buying your flies instead of tying them yourself?  I think not.  In fact, I feel that if a person fishes with flies they bought, they might as well be fishing with bait.  They may not agree with that statement, but they have probably never felt the accomplishment of catching a fish on a fly they tied themself, and there is a big difference.
post edited by catchnrelease5 - 2008/09/23 23:31:51
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: "why do you tie ?" 2008/09/24 08:22:10 (permalink)
so i can carry 4 too many boxes in my vest. to save on cost (initial cost is killer, but now, all i need is hooks). i have two people to keep in flies(fiance fly fishes). if i find a hot number, i can go home and tie a dozen without going to the store. to invent new patterns no one else uses. hmmm... i could go on for days. My LAST reason is to see a fish eat a fly i tied. That went out the door years ago. If someone was handing me dozens hand over fist, i could care less if i tied them. I would still tie, its something to do in the cold winter. I just wouldnt be cranking out 1000 flies or more a year.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: "why do you tie ?" 2008/09/24 09:51:10 (permalink)
Are you a true fly fisherman if you are buying your flies instead of tying them yourself?  I think not.  In fact, I feel that if a person fishes with flies they bought, they might as well be fishing with bait.  They may not agree with that statement, but they have probably never felt the accomplishment of catching a fish on a fly they tied themself, and there is a big difference.

I am one of those that disagree, I guess.  I'm very new to things, so I have no choice but to buy what I can't tie.  I consider myself a fly fisherman, but first and foremost, I'm a fisherman, of any type.  I'd much rather be on the water whacking catfish with crawlers on the bottom than sitting at home tying, so I suppose I'm a fisherman before I'm a tier.  If you'd rather tie, that's awesome, but I guess I'm just not that into it (maybe at some point).

But I HAVE caught a few fish on self-tied flies and I agree that it's a blast!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: