Rebuilt Bamboo Fly Rod

Author
avidangler83
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/06 13:08:12 (permalink)

Rebuilt Bamboo Fly Rod

I had a bamboo fly rod laying around for 20 or so years, then I met indsguiz at the One Fly event last year. After showing him the rod and talking with him about it for a little bit at the event I asked him if he would be able to rebuild it for me. I mailed him the rod and received it back in March. I was very pleased with the results. The rod was in pretty poor condition when I sent it to him and in great condition when I got it back from him. 

The rod was missing some of the snake guides, had cracked and discolored varnish as well as a noticeable break in one of the one of the tip sections that had been repaired poorly sometime in the past.

When I got the rod back I almost didn't believe it was the same rod. The old varnish was removed giving it a great golden color. The new wrappings have color as opposed to the old drab brown/black ones.

These two show the "re-repaired" break. It is very hard to tell the rod was even broken here. Prior to the rebuild the varnish was really built up and the poorly repaired break was very evident.

I would again like to thank Jack for the great work he did. This rod went from being unusable to being what I believe will make a great brookie stick. I have paired it up with the Horrocks Ibbotson Vernley Trout Reel I received with the rod.

3 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Rebuilt Bamboo Fly Rod 2008/09/06 13:17:54 (permalink)
    i want it.  just would like to hold it.  man, what a beaut.  see the inscription says "brule".  not after the famed river in wisconsin that gordon macquarrie loved, is it?

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Rebuilt Bamboo Fly Rod 2008/09/06 13:18:14 (permalink)
    WOW!!!!

Great work, Jack!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Rebuilt Bamboo Fly Rod 2008/09/06 13:28:36 (permalink)
    rapall11
         You are good with your research!  The rod was a company rod built for the Cooks' Sporting Goods company and named for the famous river in the style of other builders who named theirs:  Battenkill, Fishkill ect.  It is a very pretty rod and swings a dry vey well.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: