Help me choose a rod (on a budget)!

Author
MAD777
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/25 14:45:51 (permalink)

Help me choose a rod (on a budget)!

I need a 6-7 piece breakdown rod that I can backpack to rivers and ponds. The budget is around $200. I've chosen to go with a 9' long 6 wt. and have narrowed it down to 3 rods:

Cabelas Stowaway7 (7 pieces) $170
Orvis Travel Rod (7 pieces) $215
TFO Professional Series (6 pieces) $210

Has anyone compared any of these models or, have I missed a contender that you have compared to one or more of the above?
The only head-to-head comparison I found was on Cabelas customer review where one stated that they preferred the Stowaway7 to the TFO Prof.  Of course, rods are an individual thing but, I'm not in a position to be able to try them first hand, so I'll depend on the expert and friendly advice here.

17 Replies Related Threads

formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 15:53:39 (permalink)
    Stowaway's the best deal of the above, followed by the Orvis, then the TFO. Check out Sierra Trading Post too- I think that they had some March Brown rods (of a similar quality to the others that you are considering) on sale for a while, haven't checked lately. But the Stowaway is a perfectly fine rod for the coin...

Dan
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 16:01:04 (permalink)
    i'm not sure if you looked at the LLBEAN travel rod. my friend got the 6wt. travel combo. it deffinetly made him a better caster. it is now his #1 go to rod for smallmouth and bigger streams for trout, like oil creek, the yaugh. and clarion river.. just some input for you. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

MAD777
    New Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 16:37:50 (permalink)
    Thanks doubletaper, I did miss LL Bean's rod. Eight pieces, wow! That should fit in a shirt pocket! 
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 19:04:11 (permalink)
    Is a 4pc better than a 6 or 7pc?
    I always thought that the joint is the week spot and more connections ruin a smooth action.

Would this 4 pc Lamiglas be a good choice?

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID={E59D9419-1D18-46C5-A873-1037A4F3FA46}&i=AABA48A0F0E34A14B0F66CAD51F8B0C7&fx=1
    MAD777
    New Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 19:34:14 (permalink)
    You are probably right, pghmarty. But my particular requirement stems from the fact that the rod will be used in conjuction with backpacking more often than not. Also, since so many rods for so long have been manufactured as multi-piece, I guess the industry has most of the bugs worked out to the point of making a decent rod that way. Another point, in my case, is that my level of expertise doesn't deserve a Helios or Z-axis class of rod.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 20:36:47 (permalink)
    MAD777,
         Check with Bass Pro they had a 6 piece Browning rod in 6 wt and in 8 wt that is very nice. And when I bought mine the price was VERY right.   ($65 on sale).

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/25 20:38:55 (permalink)
    tfo rods r ok good warranty
    I got steve from midwest custom rods to build my last 4 rods
    he does great work and he his prices are dam good you can check out his web page if u like
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/26 08:52:16 (permalink)
    all my rods now are multi-piece. (4 pieces or more). even my steelhead rod. the differences in the multi-pieces are the ferrules different companies use. the more sections account for a heavier rod. now a days you can get multi-piece rods in just about any flex.
    what i have learned is to check your top sections often when you're casting heavy nymphs or weighted streamers. the upper sections may tend to loosen up. after a while you'll be able to notice a wobble in the rod when you cast it, this is an indication that a section is loose. this doesn't happen to a 2 piece as much because the ferrule section is in the middle of the rod.
    to prevent this from happening so often, when i put the sections together, i twist the sections into each other. (just a small turn will do) when breaking the rod down, untwist the sections in the opposite direction.
    remember to wipe off the section ferrules before putting them away or joining them together.  ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/26 10:28:44 (permalink)
    every rod has a different action, even if they all say fast of med fast, they are diffeent.  cast all the rods you are considering, one may suite your style more than the others.  because at that level 1 road is not 'better' than another, they are just better for you.  each one of those rods makers and suppliers will take returns with no questions asked, so take advanage of it and buy all 4 or 5 rods and return the ones you don't want.
    Lucky Craft Man
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/26 10:55:11 (permalink)
    If I were you, I would get the Cabelas Stowaway 7 / Three Forks Reel Combo.  The rod itself retails for $170, but that aformentioned combo is on sale for $180.  With the combo you get a reel, backing, line, and a combined rod/reel case for $10 more.  Even if you have a favorite reel you want to use, it is still worth getting a combo for the case (which would be $29.99 on it's own), plus you could sell the reel and anything you make off the reel would be pure profit.  The Stowaway 7 is a very nice rod and I don't think you will be disappointed with it.  Also, Cabelas has the best warranty of any company alive. 
    MAD777
    New Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/27 22:26:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Lucky,  that deals is sounding too good to pass up! You make some excellent points and as I am just starting down this slippery slope, this setup is probably appropriate for me. Oh boy! Now I have to make a decision.
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/28 09:15:00 (permalink)
    So I never really paid much attention to rods that broke down to 4 or more peaces.  I guess the main reason is even with spin casts that broke into 2 I would be fishing and every once in while I would cast and the top would come off, it was ok because the lure would retreive it but when it got stuck in a tree that caused problems and usually ended in me getting wet.  In any case you guys mentioned back packing with them, when you break the rods down what is typically the longest peice?  Also do you ever find it coming apart or a pain to put together all the time?  I currently have a 2 peice and it breaks down to the right length to fit in the car.  I was just curious to know your opinions and if it would possibly be worth looking into a rod that broke down more than what I currently have.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/28 10:12:54 (permalink)
    as far as fly rods, il see more and more fly rod makers are going to 4 piece rods even a complete line of them. first they are ok for carry ons on airplanes. they're easier to put in a car as a back up without getting in the way when you are not fishing. i  drive a van so i don't realy need a breakdown rod but i ride a cycle so in this respect the multpiece is the way to go. my friend got a multi piece because he fishes the yaugh. with his bycycle.
    as far as them coming apart while fishing, like i wrote earlier there are ways to prevent it happening often but you still have to be aware when it starts to loosen. you don't want to wait untill the top section flies off in the water when you have a #20 midge on the end of the tippet.   

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/28 10:14:56 (permalink)
    very rarely do i have problems with the pieces coming apart, as lang as i assemble it correctly.  a little 1/16th turn as you snug it together is all i do.  some people use bee wax on the furrels to keep them tight.  also make sure you clean the furrels before each use will keep them tight.

i like the 4 piece rods but i also use 1, 2 and 3 piece rods.  the 4 + piece rods are nice when travel on planes, as you can take them as carry-on
    MAD777
    New Angler
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/29 06:48:52 (permalink)
    Hi JMZ82,

When I say backpacking, I don't mean a couple 100 feet from the car, through the brush; I'm talking out for days, treking in the backcountry.

The advantage of multi-piece rods when backpacking is that you can fit the rod into your backpack if it is about 20" long. Even if you attached that rod to the outside of the backpack, you don't want it protruding further than the backpack or else it is more vunerable to getting snagged on something.

When backpacking, the weight of your gear is of utmost importance. So your rod case will be those clear plastic florescent light tubes that you can find at Home Depot. There are some slightly heavier and slightly sturdier cellulose acetate butyrate tubes you can order from specialty suppliers. For reasonalbly careful adults the 1/16" wall thickness is fine (the 1/32" thickness is equivalent to the light protector tubes).

Also, for scouts, significantly heavier polycarbonate tubes can be used in case the fish aren't biting and they want to play stickball instead.

The butyrate tubes weigh only a few ounces, including end caps, for a 20" tube. They can be purchased here ...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=78&product%5Fid=4905
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/08/29 19:46:53 (permalink)
    sage fli's are on close out at most retailers.
    You cant go wrong with a Sage.
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Help me choose a rod (on a budget)! 2008/09/03 18:31:43 (permalink)
    I never tryed one.Yet have seen articles were the Cabellas Stowaway won big in vote comparision over rods costy twice as much.
    I will have to buy one. Hope this helps??

I hate endorsing something I have never tryed. But everything I ever read was more then positive with the Stowayay..
    post edited by strandman220 - 2008/09/03 18:37:04
    Jump to: