fly line storage?

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/24 11:24:43 (permalink)

fly line storage?

do you guys leave fly line on a reel during the off-season or remove it and store it loosely.  have read both, but as a rook, not sure what to do.

7 Replies Related Threads

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 11:34:44 (permalink)
    I leave mine on the spool. I fish alot and line doesnt last that long for me. It would probably be better to take it off but I dont.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 11:49:12 (permalink)
    I wrap it around a roll of toilet paper. Makes it easier to re-spool.

There was a recent discussion about this on "Fly Anglers On-Line" stating that you could keep them in the freezer to prevent dryness and cracking due to seapage of the pvc softener.

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 12:36:39 (permalink)
    Rapala,

If you leave the line on your fly reel, you will be fine as long as you take it off every now and then to stretch it and take the memory out. The longer the line is in one position, the more it wants to hold that shape, which can cause memory.

Fly lines spend 90% of their life in a coil. Once they are made, they go into a skein, the skein cures and the lines are coiled into the shape that you buy them in. From there, they may sit in a shop for a long period of time before being placed on your reel in a smaller coils yet. Most people never even use the back half of the line, and after 2 years, this portion still looks brand new with no cracks, but probably retains some memory.

Most cracked fly lines that you see are caused by two things. Allot of casting/fishing, or letting your fly line on your reel in a very dry or hot environment with no care. The latter can be noticed because the exposed portion of the line is faded and cracked, but the underside is perfect. Sun, dryness, and no stretching are the causes....avoid this and you will be fine.

Best,
    Fisher
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 13:34:38 (permalink)
    One of the reasons I like double taper lines or level lines.  With the D/T I just turn em around and I do the same with the level lines but with the level I can also just cut about 12' from the end and keep right on going if it gets too frayed.  But then I'm a cheap SOB!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 16:21:33 (permalink)
    Indsguiz,

I wouldn't call you cheap, just smart.

Most fly fishermen would never know the difference if they were using a weight forward or double taper anyways.

Double taper lines give you a few advantages that weight forwards don't.

1. The ability to reverse the line without any negative effects.
    2. The ability to mend more line easier because you don't have running line that does not transfer energy that well.
    3. When carrying alot of line in the air, double tapers track VERY well.

Best,
    Fisher
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 19:42:56 (permalink)
    I really don't notice much difference between lines stored on the spool and those I take off.

Caveats are:  at the end of the season, I clean and lubricate all my fly lines ... I store them in the basement in a cool dark corner, both on reel and off ... it's almost exactly 90' between maple trees in my side yard and on a warm day in the spring I hang the lines between the trees for a "gravity stretch" ... every now and then while fishing I stand at the head of a riffle and let the line out downstream to let the current work out any incipient twists (I suspect that complaints about modern lines coiling are often complaints about twisting.) Just my .02.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: fly line storage? 2008/08/24 20:07:05 (permalink)
    Serially speaking ...

I forgot to mention that the arbor of your reel figures in here. Large arbor and MA reels store the line in larger loops, so I don't think there's much point in taking the lines off those reels.

The older, small arbor reels are more prone to "kinks," especially at the end of the line.

You can turn a small arbor reel into a MA by winding on backing.
    Jump to: