Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Wooden Plug
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/13 21:09:07 (permalink)

Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament

Just would like to let anyone know,that if your not a local don't fish the crappie tournament. Me and my partner fished it this year and had a bad  experience. We won 3rd place and then they made me take a polygraph test. I failed it and dont understand why. I got every question wrong, including the question that asked, where was I born,and what county do I live in. The 2 fishing questions asked was " Did I catch my fish on Pymatuning waters,and did I catch them during tournamet hours." I got both of those questions wrong also. Did I lie? No way. I think I know where I was born and also what waters I caught these fish on. Just think they didnt want outsiders taking any money home. Anyways just thought I would give you guys and girls a heads up on the Pymatuning lake association fishing tournaments and to be cautious.
                                              Thanks Wooden Plug. 

35 Replies Related Threads

papermouth
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/13 21:44:32 (permalink)
    just to let anyone who cares know this isn't an isolated case. i also fished this tourney and placed 6th. i was never subjected to a polygraph test but behind my name you will find questionable. my question is why? am i a local? NO! do i know wooden plug? YES! did i cheat? NO! if wooden plug was dqed i should move into 5th spot. that means they owe me money. that goes back to keeping the money local. also at 5th place you are not required to take the test they only tested 1st thru 3rd. i'm willing to take a test but was never offered that choice. so iguess i'm suppose to just accept my name being slandered by the pymy lake assoc. any one who knows me knows i catch fish. the people at tuttle campground sure saw me with plenty of fish that week. trust me that lake is plenty easy to fish. if the lake assoc. wants to pay my gas lodging and time off work i'll gladly come back for a rematch with the top ten teams. well thanks for letting me vent and sorry for going so long

papermouth
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/13 21:47:36 (permalink)
    you gotta be kiddin me.
    ohiofish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/13 22:46:38 (permalink)
    That is pretty shady..  Sorry to hear that.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/13 22:59:17 (permalink)
    I was in the tourney as well and can say it was by far the highest weights average I have ever seen. Placed a sad 45th place . Found plenty of fish as my team landed well over 30 crappies that day just could not find many big ones . Had 2 that were 1 1/4lb each but after that all small fish. Was .5 of my weight last year and placed 18th what a major difference a year makes.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/13 23:03:05 (permalink)
    just when you think youve heard it all something like this occurs. curious to know what they did with the 5th place $$$.

just looked at the roundup website and according to the standings they pay to 4th place and base the prize $$$ on 80 teams. according to their total there were 73 teams.

whats even more curious is all of this for 3rd place which pays a whopping total of a whole $300. thats based on a 80 boat team, so 3rd place didnt even receive that.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/05/13 23:13:33
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/14 10:51:31 (permalink)
    All I can say is WOW.......in disbelief

I fish 25+ bass tournaments a year and NOT ONE gives a polygraph (unless it's a tournament sponsored on a national level like FLW and soemone files a protest).

Wooden plug or anyone else who fished the tournament, I'm curious how it was run. Is there a boat check in the morning? A morning check including a livewell check would all but eliminate someone from bringing live fish, unless a team would come up with a scheme where they hide the fish on the lake.

Third place was only $300 in a 70+ boat field? Hmmmm, first and second should have paid big $$$ unless the organizers keep a large chunk of the entry fees.

WP, did you get any $$$? If you didn't you plainly got ripped off.

Something definately shady going on, what a shame.
    post edited by ready2fish - 2007/05/14 10:54:18
    Wooden Plug
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/14 16:31:29 (permalink)
    ready2fish,
      No, there was not a boat check .As a matter of fact you didnt even meet at the same place in the morning or anything.You could launch from any wheres you wanted to. Yea Ive fished alot of bass tournaments in the south, and this was completly different. And no they didnt even give us our entry fee back.Which was $45.00. And they also knocked the prize money down nearly $100.00 for each place. They said because 80 boats did not enter. Only 73. Come on 73? 80? Get my drift? Ha! I was MAD but now as I think about it I only laugh. What else can you do? The thing that gets me the most according to the polygraph. I dont know who I am , where I was born, and where I live now! HA! HA! HA!  
                                                                  Later, ready2fish,
                                                                  Wooden Plug.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/14 21:20:21 (permalink)
    Boy, you guys should read the whole reason for the tourny...  To raise money to improve the fishing in Pymatuning.  So, no duh the payout was not as high as the money taken in.  What would the point be in that?

As for not getting your birthplace right that's bull.  That is what is known as a control question.  They judge your response to those to figure out if your lying about anything else.

I talked to the association before the contest and that is the whole idea behind the polygraph, to try and keep people honest.  Pymatuning is only a 10hp lake, and I don't know where everyone else fished but if I had to check in before fishing and there was some sort of shotgun start, I wouldn't have been fishing for an hour or so.  If I would have been alowed to fire up my 80 horse I wouldn't have a problem with launching from one central launch.

My basic point I guess is that if you don't like it, don't enter.  You knew going in that there was the possibilty of a polygraph.  Or did everyone forget to read the rules.

Wooden Plug
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 05:15:10 (permalink)
    I agree,with part of your stuff, And I dont have a problem with a polygraph,as long as it is one that works. The thing this guy was using looked to be older than me.He even said it was old before the test. I know it didnt work because I answered all questions truefuly,and missed every question. Why would a Person have to cheat on a lake like this, when you can catch fish there with your eyes closed..that is the only thig that Im upset with, is that they are calling me a liar, And a polygraph isnt even held up in a court of law. Especially one that dont even work.
                                                                     Later, Wooden Plug...
    grousehunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 08:41:44 (permalink)
    Plug, fished the crappie tournament also,am surprised to hear your bad news. Honestly with the rules the way they are it would be easy to cheat if thats what somebody wanted, but why would you as you say. Fish were everywhere.That was the first time I fished the lake and we came in 27th with 5.05lbs I guess with two teams out of it we came in 25th. another point i saw was the scale they used to weigh the fish never read zero, it varied from minus 0.95 to even once I saw it read minus 1.45 couldnt figure that one out either. Was the money winners all locals? We had a great time though, caught a ton of fish and if we could of used are fish from friday we would of been in the top two, oh well thats fishing.
    Banana Boat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 09:51:27 (permalink)
    Well I think they should poly all those guys runnin 20-30 HP Tohatsu's and what not in the pymy bass tourneys.......Or am I just jealous because my team runs a legal motor and we get blown away and almost get flipped by the wakes of the 50 boats in front of us ......

Do they ever polygraph people for this ?
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 10:54:55 (permalink)
    lawsuit time
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 12:05:08 (permalink)
    just to let everyone know. i was the 6th place team and i was not dqed apperently i just have a guilty mind. the lake assoc. tells me the reason for questionable behind my name is i didn't stay for a polygragh test. it doesn't matter that i wasn't asked to stay or that there was no reason for me to stay i wasn't a winner. but regardless i won't move into 5th place they aren't paying 5 places now. if i'm questionable cuz i didn't take a polygragh does that make 7th,8th, 9th,ect. questionable also?
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 16:58:36 (permalink)
    trap jaw, you must be some kind of einstien or something. i believe everyone knows the idea of the tourney was to make money! i think the question here is more with the tactics of the lake assoc. in deciding who recieves that money. also i believe we all know that the simple questions asked during a polygragh test are to determine a base line for the rest of your answers. but when your end results to all questions look the same either you told the truth on everything or you lied on everything. when they say you can't have your money they are saying you lied.can you understand that or do you need someone to draw you a picture.i also believe we all read the rules going in to the tourney. i just think the lake assoc. forgot to conduct itself proffesionally.
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 17:02:14 (permalink)
    grouse hunter, glad to see someone else noticed the scales.when i asked the lake assoc.about it they said it seems funny i was the only one who noticed that.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 18:00:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papermouth

trap jaw, you must be some kind of einstien or something. i believe everyone knows the idea of the tourney was to make money! i think the question here is more with the tactics of the lake assoc. in deciding who recieves that money. also i believe we all know that the simple questions asked during a polygragh test are to determine a base line for the rest of your answers. but when your end results to all questions look the same either you told the truth on everything or you lied on everything. when they say you can't have your money they are saying you lied.can you understand that or do you need someone to draw you a picture.i also believe we all read the rules going in to the tourney. i just think the lake assoc. forgot to conduct itself proffesionally.

Well, you guys sure as heck don't talk like you know all this, that's the only reason I pointed it out.  If you guys are that PO'ed then take the association to court, don't just whine about it on this pidley website.  You don't see me whining about placing close to the botom or that we only got 14 fish(that includes 1 perch and 1 gill).  I plan on entering again next year because I had fun.  Like I already said, if you don't like it don't enter.
    Wooden Plug
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 21:17:35 (permalink)
    TRAP JAW, If you would of read the first post you would of noticed nobody is whining, Just letting people know that if your a outsider, AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO DONATE TO THE LAKE ASSOC. AND THE LOCALS. IT WOULD BE WISE NOT TO ENTER THE TOURNEY!!!, As far as the 250.00 prize money I can **** that little bit of money out of my right or left ,ear any day of the week! Its the princiable,and the way they handled it. Nobody lied. They just wanted to pocket the money. BUT AGAIN, ITS NOT THE MONEY IM WORRIED ABOUT.ITS THE FACT THAT THEIR JUNKEY MACHINE AND THEIR PEOPLE ARE CALLING ME A LIAR !!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF YET? PAY attention to the original post!!!!! Got it TRAP JAW????? You are not still getting it, ARE YOU? Well sorry, I dont have time to go through it with you again. Ive Got Fish To Catch.. HA!! And as far as fish, the day of the Tourney Me and my partner caught well over 50 crappie that day and quit fishing around 1:00 to go weigh in. And we also had a ball!! Im going back next year and staying at the same campsite. and going to have a ball again.
                                                                  Later, Wooden Plug.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/15 22:59:52 (permalink)
    i dont know all the specifics but if it were me i'd get my moneys worth and post your situation on every site that has anything to do with the pymy lake association. doesnt say to much for them anyway that they only had 9 sponsors. if it wasnt such a nice day saturday i'm sure they wouldnt have had so many teams. dont know what the sponsors donated, and IF they had to pay anybody to work it, at $40/team, not counting late fees, and dont know what they charged or paid out for the big fish pool, they made around $1k. theyd have had less contraversy and made more money selling pies. hopefully it was prosperous for the businesses in the area. 

no offense to the 6th place team; "QUESTIONABLE" next to the name is hilarious. no prize for 6th place and the guy doesnt stay for a polygraph test so they label the guy "QUESTIONABLE"? LMFAO!!!!!!! must have a couple school kids running the website.
    grousehunter
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/16 08:34:34 (permalink)
    Trap jaw,  I am not whining by no means I had a blast and will do it again next year by the way. just pointing out what I saw, it was only 40 dollars to enter and the fish we caught I would of paid 100 dollars. I totally agree with plug being called a liar would upset anybody unless you are a liar. I didnt say anything about the scale cause it was are fist time in any kind of tournament and we sort of felt a little out of place thats all.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/16 09:59:00 (permalink)
    Not to be a smart tocass but did anyone even think the reason the scale showed a a negative value was it was zeroed out with the fish basket they used? When you zero a scale out using a basket/bucket it will show a negative value when taken off. Now why it would bounce around with different negative values is a bit strange though..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/16 14:05:30 (permalink)
    Commander, I hope it was at least lucrative for the bait shops.  When I paid $1.75 for a dozen fatheads at the marina, I almost cried.  Oh well, like you said the amount of fillets we brought home that weekend greatly made up for the bait.  I'll definitely be getting my fatheads here in Zelie before I go up next time though. 
    Wooden Plug
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/16 15:45:54 (permalink)
    Hey grousehunter , Where were you guys fishing at on the lake? We were fishing up by Harris Island. We were just drifting using eigth ounce jigs tipped with fatheads.

Later Wooden Plug.
    grousehunter
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/17 00:25:15 (permalink)
    Plug, thats where we fished also, but we didnt drift we anchored fished minnies also, seems like everybody was drifting, but we put fish in the boat both days. I had some friends fish last weekend in the same place and they were still killing them, kicker was they were trying to catch walleye. also to egg sack we talked to you at the tournament I was with the guy that had the eye black on. I realize that it would read a negetive number with the basket on, but it never read the same I watched them weigh 10 or 12 different times. doesnt really matter to me I had a great and will do it again next year.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/17 00:30:30 (permalink)
    does anyone know who ran the tournament (names of members of the lake association)?
    traveler
    Novice Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/17 09:44:20 (permalink)
    Yes web site is pymatuninglake.com.  Lake association phone # is 724 927-6879   (President Dewey Forsythe)  (Treasurer Warren Beaver)  (VP Val Dominick)  (Secretary Mike Humanic)  I will be adding more information on this contiverse hopefully later today.       
    post edited by traveler - 2007/05/17 10:01:12
    grousehunter
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/17 11:03:47 (permalink)
    were all the winners locals?
    pymy1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/17 14:54:29 (permalink)
    thats just wrong

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/18 00:29:05 (permalink)
    just got an email from a guy who got burned in a tourney there a few years ago.  not one of the officers listed above, but there is an associate of the lake association who has been embroiled in controvery before.  you guys are crazy if you fish another tourney until this mess is cleared up.  don't get me wrong, there are some good, honest and hardworking members of the lake asscociation, but they need to be directly involved with these tournaments.
    grousehunter
    New Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Lake Crappie Tournament 2007/05/18 00:52:03 (permalink)
    Rapala, how did the guy get burned, did he get it like Plug?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: