Still Steel In The River

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/17 18:19:55 (permalink)
Personally I agree with Tuna on this one. It's a put and take fishery. If it were differant and they were supporting a wild fishery (as it is on a stream where I live) then it would be considered Taboo.
I for one find it a very effective way to catch males in Salmon season. As long as you leave the hen alone you can have DD days with Kings.
I have never targeted Steel while spawning, but that has more to do with the timing of my fishing. Most of it has been for drop backs; pre/post spawners.
This year I didn't/couldn't go at all and had to read reports on the season of a lifetime for allot of great guys (Thanks for sharing).

There are still fish in the river from what I've heard. Personally I'm hopeing for my elbow to quit hurting so I can Target some Skamania's this Summer.

King Davey- thanks for chiming in. Have missed your input, and am sorry I couldn't make the seminar. Maybe this fall we could get together so I could gain some of your knowledge. A Big Brown Bear told me you are the way to salvation.

Lyrical
mktrout
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/17 20:09:43 (permalink)
There is a lot of natural reproduction in the salmon river.
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/17 20:13:25 (permalink)
Not if we can help it !!!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/17 21:51:04 (permalink)
I cut my steelhead teeth on Naples Creek rainbows, and then Irondequoit Creek steelies, when the banks were still strewn with LIFTERS!  If the water was up, we couldn't see the fish we were catching (when we were lucky), but in the same spots when the water was lower, a careful approach would often  reveal a hen working a small area and two or more males below her vying for position.  As the season progresses on many of these smaller streams, these are the only fish, and the only players as well.  All the action is over if you catch the hen, but the aggresssive males, the more the merrier, would hit fine.  And the hen would often pick up the errant cast that went too far upstream, if only to get that "flashy thing" out of the redd area. One of the best areas I've ever seen for swinging a fly is a riffle where the only reason the fish are there is because they are spawning, if they were running they would be moving right through this water, but they respond incredibly to a fly.  If the water is up, I can't see them doing it, but they are spawning there, for sure. 

I also fished Maxwell Creek years ago where it dumps into the estuary.  These fish were mainly spawning at night, or during heavy overcast, but would drift up and down the run during the day, and slide up to the redds if undisturbed. Again, we had some great C+R on small flies,both swinging down to the apprehensively waiting pods or upstream dead drift to the shallower areas when the standing wave shift told us that three or four had moved up.  I've seen similar behavior when I've been on the SR in the spring, but the river is bigger, and the pod of fish you think are holding to feed after finishing spawning may be working an active redd slightly upstream that you can't see.  Certainly, the literature on these fish indicates that they head downstream for bigger water after completing spawning, but my recollection of the biology of the males is that they can keep producing milt until there are no more hens or they are exhausted, so even though they are black and "aging" they are still looking to spawn further.  Deer season is pretty much timed to coincide with the rut, but that doesn't keep deer hunters out of the woods! 

A great Ithaca fisherman who passed away a few years back, Eric Seidler, caught a dime bright 6.5 lb hen rainbow up from Cayuga Lake just starting to loosen her eggs, on a hare's ear nymph in Salmon Creek at Ludlowville on June 23 one year!  I watched 4 bright fish swim over an obstruction in Irondequoit Creek where I was working on the 1st of May this year, triggered by a quarter inch of rain the night before.  Yes, they run early, but a few run late especially in cool years like this one.

L13
post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/05/18 16:06:51
King Davy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/18 07:31:51 (permalink)
I would agree it's hard to place ethics on paper to all situations in fishing....but our on paper "ethics" is truly a guideline...that we'd like our folks to follow. In six years nobody has turned anybody in for fishing to spawning fish....and in reality that is not something I'd expect to happen from any members. I haven't fished with everybody in LOSA nor them with me...the one's I do fish with...aren't interested in spawning fish...they choose different situations...but probably not because they are LOSA members...that's just their personal choice. However maybe they choose to become members...cause they DO agree with the kind of ethical guidlines LOSA has.

Folks that don't like our code...won't or don't join....and that's what's great about this whole thing.....you have choices.....and if you choose not to like what we are about...that's fine...but then again we choose to do it our way...and we can.....and if it's not right for your way of thinking...good for you...don't join....but you simply don't to get Judge how WE choose our guidelines. It's no different then not wanting to see the show that's on TV...turn it off or turn the channel...but you aren't going to stop what's on the channel you don't want to watch...

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/18 13:29:41 (permalink)
I don't think this should turn into a LOSA debate. They are a great org. that works on the forefront as well as behind the scenes to preserve and better the fishery. I certainly have no bad things to say about that.

The thread is about Steel Heads being in the river, nothing else.
If you have a problem with thier views speak to them via PM, or email the org..
This is a forum to share, learn and teach about the Tribs. and Fish.
This hijacking of threads to dishonor others will not happen any longer.
If it starts the post will be deleted, and I will take the appropriate measures.
Just so we're all clear here. No Throwing Stones!
post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/05/19 19:31:17

Lyrical
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/18 16:36:42 (permalink)
Just a quick note to all. I have edited and deleted a few posts on this thread. It's not going to go on here.

Lyrical
Ditchrat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/18 22:39:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pafisher

The big question is where is the summer run?From what I hear it's been very sparse in the past few years,several years ago there was a good number of Skam's in and they were good size.I wonder what happened to that?

Allready caught a dime bright fresh skam about 15lbs last week.  Skams are there most people dont think to fish for them and most dont know how to get through the chubs.

Mornings and evening late june and july after water events can produce.  Just find the local kids and youll find the skams
post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/05/18 22:42:16

Ditch
Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/18 23:05:59 (permalink)
Nice Ditchrat! Fantastic fish.
I hope to match that over the summer...

Lyrical
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Still Steel In The River 2007/05/19 04:49:27 (permalink)
Sorry I was confused Chrome. Then by your logic I can fish to steelhead on redds as long as the hen is only fanning the bottom and the buck is not in the act of spewing milt. No matter that it happened a second before and will happen again in a few seconds. They are not at the time in between "actively spawning". Thanks for clearing that up for me!!
Since steelhead pair up (part of the mating ritual) on thier way up stream is it not part of the act of spawning? Much like the mating dance of the ostrich is not the act of coitus, but with out it no mating would take place which makes it part of "actively spawning.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: