Waders

Author
Matt4:19
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/06 08:20:15 (permalink)

Waders

I'm in the market for a new pair of breathable waders. I have had a pair of Hodgman guidelite for 2 years and they are starting to leak...leaning towards Simms but not sure if they are worth the money...just wanted some reviews / opinions on which waders people feel are the best...

7 Replies Related Threads

formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 08:39:33 (permalink)
    I've owned practically every pair of waders known to man. Quite frankly, few of them can withstand the abuse that I put upon them, and given enough time, all breatheable waders will leak, wether through tears and scrapes, or from seams failing. Having said that, with moderate use and taking good care of them (and maybe the occasional patch-work) there is no reason that a good, quality pair of waders can't last you many seasons...

Only 2 pair of waders that I've owned have really stood out; the Simms G3's, and the Patagonia Watermaster II's. Superior fit and craftmanship on both- wore the Simms for 3 years- now using the Patagonias. Simms were a little heavier, Patagonias are more comfortable.

Best Features:
    Simms- Durability, chest pocket/hand warmer, seam work.

Patagonia- Fit and comfort, suspender system (WAY better than on any other pair I've owned- you can roll down to waist-highs with the suspenders still on) and best gravel guard fit around.

On the whole, I think that I prefer the Patagonia waders, but I will have to put a full season or two on them to really know. Waders, unlike much of what you can buy in the fly fishing world, seem to hold true to the saying "you get what you pay for..." Probably the most under-appreciated piece of gear. I wold gladly fish with a so-so rod and reel with the best waders around, than the best rod/reel with a so-so pair of waders.

Hope that this helps- feel free to PM me with any specific questions or needs...

Dan
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 08:44:55 (permalink)
    Dan,

Have you tried the Scierra Waders?

Like you, I've tried many many brands and have yet to have a pair last more than 1 year (and that is when I could not stand the leaks). The last pair I owned were Dan Bailey Guide waders, I had 2 months on them and they were shot already. I contacted Dan Bailey, they sent me a new pair, and the same thing happened again! Leaky seams and ****. Only this time they would not replace them. Almost $400 dollars for 4 months of use.

My next step was going to be the 6 layer Scierra waders as I haven't heard anything bad about them. But your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fisher
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 09:11:02 (permalink)
    Cabella's Dry Plus waders work for me. I don't subject them to heavy use, but the last pair lasted more than three years and are just beginning to leak. I get the cheapest(about 100 dollars) Dry Plus they have.
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 09:15:49 (permalink)
    Fisher-

Not too sure about the Scierra waders- I know that almost all of their stuff in the apparel lines are made in Asia by an offline manufacturer, which is fine, but they may not be the best value around... Hard for me to get away from Simms or Patagonia- similar to my feelings on quality reels- there are a TON of great reels out there, but why buy anything (at least for the salt) that's not an Abel or a Tibor? I'd be curious to see how you like the Scierras- be sure to keep me posted on that. I've used a few of their rods and reels- rods OK, the one reel (I think it was a TX2) was quite nice... Sorry about the Dan Bailey's waders (I worked for them for a while...) they are nice looking waders though, aren't they? I always liked the southwesterny-looking aspect of them.

Man, it's rained off and on here for the past few days- I am ready for the steelhead season to begin! Might make an early "scouting" trip to the Catt in a few weeks time...

Dan
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 11:45:27 (permalink)
    I have also tried many brands of waders out there except Patagonias.

Atm I have a original pair of G3's that I love to death until I got a leak in the foot this year. Think I got 3 years out of them. Still have to send em back they might be able to get repaired. Not sure.

I have a good friend who guides. He was always a Simm's man for life. Something happened < Might of been customer service> and he decided to try out Cabelas stuff. Sad as it might be you can buy 2 pair of Cabelas, next to top of their line for one pair of G3's.. Have also heard good stuff about Cloudveil.

Mike, I agree with Formerguide about having the best waders in contrast to gear. If money isnt a problem Simm/Pata  are the way to go.

Back in 95 I got a pair of the Dan Baileys as well. Ihad better luck then Fisherboy86. They lasted a few years for me. My hodgemans that I tried got a hole in 2days. This was a few years ago, so maybe they have gotten better.
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 12:51:44 (permalink)
    Former, Lochswa,

I have no hard feelings against Dan Bailey, but for a diehard guy, I do not believe their waders are up to par. Before the Guide model, I used the Lightweights. The first pair lasted one day. I tripped on a log in the water and stretched the seams. The next thing I know, from the **** down, I'm full of water. The replacement pair lasted half a year. Not too bad.

Like Dan said, though, they look sharp.

I think I will purchase the Scierra waders and give them a go. Like you, I own and have fiddled around with their other equipment and it seems to hold up well. I'll keep you updated on the quality, but if you don't hear from me...that's a good sign!

Patagonia would be nice. They didn't come to mind though until you mentioned them. Do you know Bill Kline by chance? 

Best,
    Mike
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Waders 2008/08/06 13:00:28 (permalink)
    I have a pair of Chota that seem to be really good. They have the buit in gravel gaurds on them and everything. I  spend about 250 hours a year chasing trout in trout season and haven't had a problem with them at all and i am not easy on waders by no means lol . Hope this some what helps. COST was like $ 180 dollars.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    Jump to: