fly rods for steelhead

Author
nymphus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/31 13:57:47 (permalink)

fly rods for steelhead

What make of rod would you suggest in a nine foot, 7 wt. class that would be in the $300 to $400.00 price range?  I usually fish a floating line with flies from
size 6 streams to size 18 nymphs.  I am an experienced angler. 

Thanks in advance.

nymphus
post edited by nymphus - 2008/07/31 14:00:32

24 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/07/31 14:23:28 (permalink)
    http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7BD92DB993%2D5132%2D49F4%2D80B0%2D2E793021295F%7D&i=DAD9E06ED6CE430D9159B365A35E86C0&fx=1

I cast one of the diamondback flawless series recently. I think they are very hard to beat for the price. They are a nice looking rod as well. I get to cast a lot of different rod in a years time, and gotta say, it's hard to find any at this price range that are nearly as good.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/07/31 16:09:13 (permalink)
    In that price range and up I always suggest looking into a custom rod. You'll get exactly what you want.

Thanks
    Rick
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/07/31 16:42:45 (permalink)
    I agree with thedrake.  Once you get to price you quote most rods would service your need.  I personally like St. Croix.  The rods built with SC IV and V graphite are nice.  Rick also brings an excellent point as well.  Custom rods allow a wide range of options.

Hav2Fish
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 08:19:15 (permalink)
    As the above mentioned, a longer rod will certainly facilitate easier drifts and aid in mending, not to mention save your arm at the end of the day... Having made, sold, bought and fished about 50 different styles of rods over the years for steelies, it seems to me that the best "all around" rod for Erie steelhead (OH, PA and NY) is a 10' 7wt. Very versatile, you can do a wee bit of single-handed spey casating if the model you choose has the butt for it, it's a nymphing machine, yet not too long in small waters. Now, if you're really only fishing the "bigger" waters- ie nothing smaller than Elk, then you might consider an 11' 7wt, which has become my go-to all around rod for the past several years. A true "switch" rod, this rod can high-stick with the best of them, yet can do duel work as a short spey rod with short belly and skagit lines. Bearing in mind though, this is too long for a lot of waters, and can be a hindrance on smaller parts of big waters too.

As far as price is concerned, some people mentioned St. Croix, and I agree- quality rods, made in the US (if that matters to you) and good value. I believe that the Legend Ultra and the Avids would both fit your price points. Another rod to consider is the Redington CPS- in my mind, the best value rod around- at $299, these are very fast, very good sticks, with decent components. The Sage FLi would be another reasonable choice.

If you're looking for an 11' "switch" rod, then TFO recently announced some new Meiser rods- all are 11' long, and grain weighted for short-belly spey lines. For around here, the 11' 5wt (remember, spey line-rated; that's about the equivalent of a 7 or 8wt standard line) would be about right. At $350 or so, pretty nice bargains- very nice components on these- IMO, the best looking and constructed of the mid-priced rods.

So there you have it. For me, fishing bigger waters most, if not all of the time, if left to one rod, I would choose an 11' 7wt- I've owned a few of them, including the Winston BIIx, and the rod I have now, the Sage Z-Axis, is the bets of them that I've tried- getting a Loomis Native Run GLX soon, so I'll leave a review after I've fished it. But, for one rod, that would be my choice- but again, if also fishing smaller waters (ie Walnut, Crooked, etc...) then the 10' 7wt is probably the better bet.

If I could only own 2 rods for Erie tribs, then I would take a 10' 7wt, and then a 12 1/2' 6wt spey. The 10' rod would be for anytime that I decided to nymph, and then the 12 1/2' spey rod for all swinging- that rod, BTW, is the perfect sized spey rod for water like the Catt, Salmon, Grand, etc... again, the TFO Deer Creek spey rods are trmendous values, and as good looking as many premium rods too.

Hope that this helps- feel free to PM me with any other questions, or if you're looking for a particular rod...

Dan
    post edited by formerguide - 2008/08/01 10:29:30
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 10:06:30 (permalink)
    after fishing an 8wt. 9" rod i couldn't pass the price i got on an orvis 9'6" 7wt. one other thing you might want to consider is the actual weight of the rod itself. if you fish all day for steelies, as a lot of us do, a heavy rod will take it's toll by the end of the day. so try to keep it light and well balanced with a good reel. my 2cents. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 12:01:49 (permalink)
    I agree with Drake on the Flawless Series of rods.

They are the lightest and best quality rod that Diamondback has ever had. They should be priced around $350 -$400 instead of $299. I used them a little for steelhead, but mainly bass and carp. It performed well for all species.

Another choice, which I prefer more than the Flawless  (because I like a moderate fast action) is the Cortland Big Sky.  I carry the 9' 8wt in my car at all times, but the 9' 7wt is a sweet steelie rod. The 9' 6wt Saltwater model would be a killer steelhead rod. It is very similar to the 7wt, but the rod itself has a certain "feel" that you don't find very often. They handle well in close because of the moderate fast action, but the expert caster can carry a full flyline with these rods.

Here are some pics from the early development stages.

As you can see, the rods were shown no mercy and I have tried to break them on many occassions with no success.

Best,
    Fisher
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 13:06:37 (permalink)
    If you are spending more than 300 on a fly rod then you are remiss to not go the custom rod route.  You can get a very very nice fishing rod for 250.00 to 350.00 dollars.  Customs are actually a better bargain when you compare components and craftsmanship.  "Off the shelf" rods offer lower quality components and an emphasis on production quantity not workmanship quality in an effort to keep costs low.  The mass rod producers need to pay all the business costs that are required to operate a big business Ie:  building costs, office space, insurance, advertising, ect.......  all things that are very minimal for the custom builder and the custom guys take more pride in they're work.  They're reputation and future business depends on it.

Those of us who have made the switch to customs rods can never go back.  PM me if you want the names of some great builders who are turning out fantastic rods for steelhead. 
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 13:59:41 (permalink)
    While were on the topic of custom rods, does anyone know of any reliable builders?  Who does your custom rods?  How does the whole process go about?  Does the client chose the blanks, hardware, wraps, guides?  I'd like to go custom for my next steelhead rod.
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 15:50:28 (permalink)
    I hope this does not come across as soliciting...

I build custom rods.  You can find rod builders on the web and there is also a Custom Rod Builders Guild, of which I am a member, that can give you contacts. 
    The process you mention starts with contacting a rod builder.  From there it's kind of a partnership.  We work with you to find what you'll be fishing for and where and from there the possibilities are endless.  As a client you can choose every component that goes into your rod.  Again, the possibilities are endless.......Blanks, titanium guides, blue guides, red guides, cork inlays, cork length, exotic wood reel seats, etc, etc.  You choose everything down to the color thread for guide wraps.  
    If you have questions my website is on my profile.  Or you can send me questions at my personal email troutgod@comcast.net

Hav2Fish

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/01 21:19:26 (permalink)
    I will PM you sometime later    = 

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/02 00:16:23 (permalink)
    "While were on the topic of custom rods, does anyone know of any reliable builders?  Who does your custom rods?"

casts_by _fly  (Rick) or cr500

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/02 08:07:34 (permalink)
    I know it's just my opinion but three of the best rod builders working right now and also know steelhead are the following

Dominic Federico - www.infinityrodcreations.com  (better known for his centerpin/float rods)

Matt Dotts - www.rodtrader.net

Steve Clark - www.midwestcustomflyrods.com

It's important to get a builder that actually fishes for the species you want the rod for.  You don;t want a builder in florida to build you a steelhead rod just as you don't want a builder in michigan to build you a rod for bonefish.
    post edited by sudsy1000 - 2008/08/02 08:08:20
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/02 09:29:31 (permalink)
    I have one of Ricks rods and what a beutiful rod. Its a 10.6 ft , 6wt. Now if you want a fight this will give it to ya. It was a PSAI prize.

fcflyguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/29 23:57:19 (permalink)
    steve cark midwest custom rods  10ft 7wt
    FC

tied to throw not for show
    GrnWeenieWizard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/30 07:04:18 (permalink)
    I gotta second your opinion about Dominic...  Not only does he build nice rods, he is one heck of a great guy...

don't know the other two fellers, but I am sure the same could be said about them.....

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." - A.K. Best
    theBamboozler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/30 15:19:46 (permalink)
    Check out the Scott E2.  Scott just discontinued this rod so you should be able to find one at a decent price on closeout.  It is considered to be a fast action but in my opinon is more of a medium-fast.  Great sensitivity and feel, nice hardware and components and an awsome price tag.  This is one my favorite rods.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/08/30 17:02:17 (permalink)
    I say build your own. I did, and it's a heck of a rod. Fortified the butt section ferrules with heavier wraps and epoxy, tappered the wraps to the tip, and it fishes great. It's a 5 wt. with excellent sensativity and the power to bust out a 50-60 ft. roll cast, or carry as much line as you like effortlessly.(and I'm still a crappy caster)

It's also a nice feeling when you sail some line out there, get the bite, and land a fish on a rod of your own making.

Todd1126
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/18 02:25:15 (permalink)
    just a quick reply, i have 4 rods and reals for sale, 3 of which would suit your needs. all rods and reels are new and have a quality line and backing on them. each rod and reel are $600.00-$700.00 price range new. your more than welcome to come by and cast any or all of them. i have them priced at $250 per combo. i have all boxes and probablly still have the recipts. nothing is stolen or anything like that, i just have to much stuff and would like to see someone get a great deal and some good use out of them. see the for sale area under fly fishing equipment.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/18 07:29:15 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

I just noticed all of the extra posts on this thread.  Thank all of you for the vote of confidence.  I really appreciate it.

That said, I should let all of you know that I'm not doing rods at the moment.  Over here in the UK it is next to impossible to get components at any reasonable price.  Shipping everything over here would raise the prices up significantly.  So while I'm in this country, I can't be doing any rods for other people.

I did do one for myself though a few months back, a 10' 4 wt, that is absolutely wonderful for trout.  Feather light, really light power, moderate to moderate fast tip but if you overline the rod it doesn't buckle on you until you're pushing 50'+ of a 5 wt line.  Not a steelhead rod by any stretch and the double digit pike I had on could have had his way with me if he wanted, but an awesome trout rod.

Thanks,
    Rick
    bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/18 09:38:36 (permalink)
    fish usa have their redington cps rods on sale 299 now 199 and redingtons repacement is great mine snaped and it was 4 years old no questions they sent me a new rod sage owns them now  good luck

any day of fishing is a gift
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/18 10:07:12 (permalink)
    The CPS rods were replaced with the new CPX rods- very light, even faster than the CPS- I like 'em. Got to try a lot of them at Denver show- they even have a few switch rods now too.

Echo makes some killer switch rods now too- getting a few demos here in the next few days to try, will let you guys know what I think.

Also, the new Sage Flight rods are a definite improvement over the old FLi series- lighter, better components, very smooth.

At the show, tried some of the Cortland rods with Fisherboy- very nice sticks for the money too.

I will be selling off some demos here shortly- anyone who wants a list, PM me and I'll get it out.

Dan

Bigdadyrods
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/24 14:38:47 (permalink)
    As far as the 3 rod builders, I know of all three and they are good buys. Two of which I talk with consistantly. Steve and I talk mostly every week.
    You can't go wrong with either one. With that said, I also will throw my hat into the ring. I've built many rods over the years and still find the next as exciting as the first. I fish with a 9'6" St Criox IV myself and find it a good rod to use for steelies. I have others for back ups(Who doesn't) but use this as my "go to" rod.
    Since I carry extras in my shop, I have in the past, shipped out rods for customers to try out and use to find the one that they like before they make a decision. Closer guys just stop by and pick them up at the door. I sell off my "show rods" later for a discount price.

Big D.
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/27 02:26:18 (permalink)
    Nymphing stick. I love my Scott ARC 10' 7wt. I use a steelhead taper sharkskin line by SA. Best there is. General purpose and some nymphing the Scott S4 9'6" 6wt.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: fly rods for steelhead 2008/09/27 08:53:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous fly

Nymphing stick. I love my Scott ARC 10' 7wt. I use a steelhead taper sharkskin line by SA. Best there is. General purpose and some nymphing the Scott S4 9'6" 6wt.

I have the 9 1/2 ft. version of your 7wt. ARC. Great rod for playing steelhead. It amazed me how such a strong casting rod can be so gentle once a fish is on the other end.

Gone Fishing
    Jump to: