flyfishing books

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/09 14:55:41 (permalink)

flyfishing books

Has anyone read any good flyfishing books lately?

I havent added any to my library in a few months. I guess I'm just sick of seeing so many books by people trying to "re-invent the wheel". I dont think there is much new to write about in flyfishing books, so the new books i've been seeing at local book stores like "learn to flyfish in 24 hours", and "Lefty's ultimate guide to flyfishing" don't really appeal to me. I wont buy lefty's books because of his involvement in the Spring Ridge Club, and because he seems to be one of many people trying to teach flyfishing through a book that seems to have been written and re-written by so many different authors over the years. Think about it this way, how many books do we need that will teach us how to cast? and... How many of those books really teach us something groundbreaking about flyfishing that hasn't been written before?

Right now, as always, I've been reading and rereading books by Tom McGuane,and John Geirach among others. Books like "Hatches 2" will always have a place in my library. That book, in my opinion, is the Bible when it comes to mayflys. My copy is nearly falling apart, after being opened, written in, and highlighted so many times. It would remind you of a used college textbook.

What are your favorite books? Any new books that you guys have read, and would reccommend?

13 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/09 17:24:15 (permalink)
    Do you have a copy of "A Modern Dry Fly Code" by Vince Marinaro? Is the book that revolutionalized American Fly Fishing. Original print was 1950 and is just as ground breaking today as when it was printed the first time.
    I will go on the record and say anyone who takes fly fishing seriously (particularly dry fly guys) needs to have this book. Of coarse all the Books by Fox, Harvey and Humphreys are much needed too.
    If you want some great stories check out John Gierach books. He is a fisherman who writes about fishing. Wonderful stories.

Lyrical
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/09 18:24:08 (permalink)
    For anyone who loves chasing caddisflies:   Caddisflies by LaFontaine.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/09 21:27:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loopy

For anyone who loves chasing caddisflies:   Caddisflies by LaFontaine.

Read it. Good Book.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/09 21:38:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Do you have a copy of "A Modern Dry Fly Code" by Vince Marinaro? Is the book that revolutionalized American Fly Fishing. Original print was 1950 and is just as ground breaking today as when it was printed the first time.
    I will go on the record and say anyone who takes fly fishing seriously (particularly dry fly guys) needs to have this book. Of coarse all the Books by Fox, Harvey and Humphreys are much needed too.
    If you want some great stories check out John Gierach books. He is a fisherman who writes about fishing. Wonderful stories.

I havent read it, but you're not the first person to tell me about "A modern dryfly code". A man that I have looked up to throughout the years for flyfishing knowledge, was a friend of Marinaro. He tells me Vince was a great dryfly fisher.

I'm not a fan of Humphries due to his affiliation with the club that is trying to take the Little Juniata away from all of us. BTW, speaking of the SRC, Beaver has placed rebar in the stream to mark what he thinks is his water. Looks like things arent going to calm down after the case was settled. Beaver and everyone affiliated with him should be ashamed of themselves. A wiser man than myself once said "some people can just put their morals in their back pockets in order to make a buck". I think that is surely the case here.

I've read all of Geirach's books, and will continue to reread them over and over.
    Rio
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/09 22:11:31 (permalink)
    I would suggest ' To Know a River' a collection of Roderick L. Haig-Brown short stories. It has over 350 pages of fly fishing related stories. I just picked up a copy after a friend had told me about Haig-Brown and it has become one of those books you just can't put down. If it means anything to you, thedrake, the introduction to the book is done by Thomas McGuane.

Rio
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/09 22:22:43 (permalink)
    I'm an avid book reader, though mostly in the fall and winter.  I have a small collection of fishing books and have read many of the ones previously mentioned, especially John Gierach, he's one of my favorite authors.  Who wrote Hatches 2?  I buy many used books from Amazon.com  One can find some real bargains sometimes.

My suggestions for books that you may have not read: (I have many more suggestions if needed)

"Pale Morning Done" by Jeff Hull.  This is a fishing novel set in Montana.
    "The Moon Pulled Up An Acre of Bass" by Peter Kaminsky.  A flyrodder's Odyssey at Montauk Point, NY.
    "Reading the Water" by Dave Hughs.  A fly fisher's handbook for finding trout in all types of water.
    "The Fisherman's Ocean" by David A. Ross.  How marine science can help you find and catch more fish.
    "Mayflies" by Ted Fauceglia.  Noted local (Hermitage,PA) bug photographer's first book.

I plan on buying the Caddisflies by LaFontaine.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/10 09:45:22 (permalink)
    The Compleat Angler
    Selective Trout
    Trout by Ray Bergman
    Anything by Gierach or Meck
    Trout Streams of PA by Dwight Landis
    PA Gazeteer
     w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/10 11:33:56 (permalink)
    Great thread!
    Get the code- it's more than a book of dry fly fishing, it's a bonified piece of american literature.
    I agree about that club up there. Reminds me of England.
    I have taken a little heat in certain circles because I believe no one should be stopped from hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. where they choose to as long as the laws are obeyed. There is nothing more disgusting to me as a mountain, or stream lined with posted sighns. That's not what this thread is about though.
    Anyhow I didn't know Marinaro, but do know lots of friends and family. Without him we'd still be fishing English flies that don't match our American insects.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/10 14:23:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: beerman

I'm an avid book reader, though mostly in the fall and winter.  I have a small collection of fishing books and have read many of the ones previously mentioned, especially John Gierach, he's one of my favorite authors.  Who wrote Hatches 2?  I buy many used books from Amazon.com  One can find some real bargains sometimes.

My suggestions for books that you may have not read: (I have many more suggestions if needed)

"Pale Morning Done" by Jeff Hull.  This is a fishing novel set in Montana.
    "The Moon Pulled Up An Acre of Bass" by Peter Kaminsky.  A flyrodder's Odyssey at Montauk Point, NY.
    "Reading the Water" by Dave Hughs.  A fly fisher's handbook for finding trout in all types of water.
    "The Fisherman's Ocean" by David A. Ross.  How marine science can help you find and catch more fish.
    "Mayflies" by Ted Fauceglia.  Noted local (Hermitage,PA) bug photographer's first book.

I plan on buying the Caddisflies by LaFontaine.

Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi wrote hatches 2. I highly reccommend it. There is not one book with better info on mayflies.

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/13 19:56:42 (permalink)
    For the dry fly guys, "In the Ring of the Rise" by Vince Marinaro and for general purposes, of cource, "Trout."

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: fly fishing books 2007/05/23 01:48:34 (permalink)
    James Leisenring "The art of tying the wet fly"

hendey lathe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/30 17:56:15 (permalink)
    Try "The Fear Of Fly Fishing" by Jack Ohman. The humor may be slightly dated but it's a fun quick read.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: flyfishing books 2007/05/30 22:44:02 (permalink)
    Today I ordered "Fly Fishing in Saltwater" by Lefty Kreh.  Anybody ever read it it?

Related to fishing books are fishing DVD's.  I like "The Troutbum Diaries".  It's done by four  American dudes who go to South America to fish for trouit on the cheap.  Very entertaining!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Jump to: